Strange!

• Thread starter Thread starter SolidSnake
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3,222

SolidSnake

ISP
Airtel 256 Kbps Unlimited
When I download using the default Windows download client, I get only 8 KBps but if I use Flashget I get 30-40 KBps.Why?

Default windows download client as in?

Originally posted by SolidSnake@Nov 30 2005, 11:29 PM
When I download using the default Windows download client, I get only 8 KBps but if I use Flashget I get 30-40 KBps.

Why?
[snapback]33746[/snapback]
[/quote]

FlashGet is optimizing your download by splitting your download into multiple parts, and downloading each part simultaneously. This makes use of your full bandwidth.

He means the IE downloader.Anyways, this is not anything to think about - happens at my end as well - and its probably because airtel gives not TRUE 256, they actually make use of server-end caching very cleverly.If you've noticed while browsing, no website-pages ever load at more than 16 kBps max, whereas its supposed to touch 32.

doesnt matter if you break the file into pieces or download it as one big chunk. You are going to get 32KBps speeds max.

thats whta is the problem with most isps.....i thought airtel was not cheating....but seems to be airtel as well.......means u cannot watch a live video broadcast encoded at 200 kbps on an airtel 256 kbps connection............poor airtel....and many othersI want speed designated to come straight without help of file splitting

Originally posted by max@Dec 1 2005, 12:40 PM
doesnt matter if you break the file into pieces or download it as one big chunk. You are going to get 32KBps speeds max.
[snapback]33766[/snapback]
[/quote]

It does matter acctually, though ur gonna get max 32KBps , but if ur gettin less speed then most probably the speed has been limited on the server end per connection , spliting up the file and creating multiple does increase ur speed.

Originally posted by boygr8@Dec 1 2005, 12:53 PM
thats whta is the problem with most isps...
[snapback]33775[/snapback]
[/quote]

Download rate is limited at Web-server end as well.

Most web servers have 10 or 100 mbps link to internet. So they have to throttle amount of bandidth that is available to a single connection.

Otherwise 100 visitors with 1 mbps connection will choke ANY web server that is NOT load balanced.

For details, this is a good starting point:
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Apache-Overview-HOWTO-5.html

Default config is to limit amount of B/W available to a single TCP connection. So if you make 10 independent http requests, then you will "usually" get better bandwidth.

It is not splitting the files guys.... Just making multiple connections to the download server ..... Much faster than the IE downloader...

uh...splitting the file results into more over heads. It's because of the servers. You are kind of "pipelining" the downloads. But in reality you are wasting more bandwidth in setting up multiple connections. Many servers will ban you if you make excessive connections! Again, I emphasise here. The "artifically" high speeds you are getting due to the non-standard setup of these ISPs. With REAL ISPs such things wont happen. Infact you will notice your downloads slowing down because of multiple connections! 😕

Agreee with max...i need a real isp which gives me promised speeds w/o splitting....so that i can view live video broadcasts.......internet is just not always about downlaoding

Then u should go in for mtnl. It'll give u 256k even with the IE downloader. I've seen a lot of streaming videos. No jerks or anythin. Net radio works like a dream. I listen for hours without getting d/c from the server. Ofcourse the bitrate should be below 256kbps.

waterloo_sunset, how much do you download for online radio and streaming videos?

Usually listen to 128kbps stations which takes up 1MB/min approx. (After midnight)Streaming videos as in news clips on CNN and BBC, football highlights...other stuff here and there. They're usually low quality clips so don't take up much bandwidth. High quality ones i watch in the free hours ofcourse like music videos and some documentaries. Take up 2MB per sec max. Usually a lil less.Infact that is the first thing i noticed abt mtnl. IE and dap give the same speeds more or less.