• Thread starter Thread starter real_india
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 8,578

real_india

Regular
ISP
Airtel
Hello to all. I am from Noida. Although this is my first post as a member i have been visiting this site for a long time.I have a few queries regarding Airtel broadband connection( 256k Rs 999 unlimited Package). Currently i have a connection from a local cable ISP. He is charging me Rs 1000 for 256k unlimited connection. Although the speeds i am getting are just about ok(8-16 KBPS) but he is blocking all the ports except port 25 and 80.Since Airtel has started wiring my apartment building i wanted to shift to the 256k Rs 999 unlimited package.From what i have read here and at other sites Airtel is giving speed between 20-26 KBPS. I am not sure what the upload speed is because many users have said that it is between 8-10 KBPS and many say it can go upto 16 KBPS.It would be very helpfull for me if the Airtel users can answer a few of my queries!1> What is the AVG, MIN and MAX download speeds that i can expect ?? 2> What is the AVG upload speed ?3> What type of wire Airtel uses for the connection between the junction box and the house ? ( I am asking this question becasue depending on the the thickness of the wire used i may have to reconfigure the internal wiring of my house since i live in a multistorey apartment !)4> Which ethernt modem/router should i go for ? (it must have port forwarding options either via telnet or hhtp)5> Does Airtel block Ports ? If any which ones?

Airtel is very straightforward.1> I have a 256k connection, & get these downstream speeds : min - 25 kBps, max - 35 kBps, & AVG=26 kBps.2> The upload speeds are same as download - AVG=26kBps.3> No idea, never bothered about it!4> Go for the LAN modem, otherwise USB modem will give you a lot of shit. And with LAN modem, you can even change it from normal to RFC-1483-bridged mode, & login to airtel server thru PPPoE - its very easy & will give you access to all ports, with no need for port-forwarding. (but then, remember to install a firewall)5> They dont block ANY ports, they claim. My only problem is, that IRC has been blocked (ports 6661-6668). But nobody else on Airtel has this problem, so I dunno what to make of it.

1. Speeds download vary b/w 25-35 kbps on most networks,using some download manager i get avg 32kbps ,on P2p avg speed 26 kbps.

2.Upload same as downlaod .

3.They use 2 pair telephone wire ,although it uses only 1 pair at a time 2nd pair is for emergency stuff if something happens with 1st pair.Size same as 2 pair cable net wire.

4.Yes go for LAN modem ,if possible get D-Link one

5. No ports blocked in vaishali/noida region.not even 6881 or IRC posts.
Although the speeds i am getting are just about ok(8-16 KBPS) but he is blocking all the ports except port 25 and 80.Since Airtel has started wiring my apartment building i wanted to shift to the 256k Rs 999 unlimited package.[/b]

Your ISp is cheating on you by giving such low speeds (64 kbps-128 kbps)

real_india, my advice is that you should go in for it! Airtel, is in my area and I am dying to get a connection but they have to yet wire up the street before they will enter here! 🙁

okay i have a questionOn sify if i use a download manager(i.e multiple connections ) on a 32 KBPS connection, i get pure 32 KBPS.....but if i download normally or view streaming audio or video....speeds fluctuate widely.....i can even view a 150 kbps live broadcastOn Airtel wat's the ituation.......do speeds fluctuate without download manager....or stay constantI would not complain even if they give 25 KBPS constant.,.....but on sify u get average 24 KBPS with speed on one instant 32 KBPS and one next 12 KBPS and 3rd instant 0 KBPS and then back to 32 KBPS

Originally posted by boygr8@Nov 30 2005, 08:50 PM
okay i have a question

On sify if i use a download manager(i.e multiple connections ) on a 32 KBPS connection, i get pure 32 KBPS.....but if i download normally or view streaming audio or video....speeds fluctuate widely.....i can even view a 150 kbps live broadcast

On Airtel wat's the ituation.......do speeds fluctuate without download manager....or stay constant

I would not complain even if they give 25 KBPS constant.,.....but on sify u get average 24 KBPS with speed on one instant 32 KBPS and one next 12 KBPS and 3rd instant 0 KBPS and then back to 32 KBPS
[snapback]33713[/snapback]
[/quote]

this fluctuation is managed by sify itself. actual speed will be much lower.
they buffer and send it. you can see the trick by using the pause button in any download manager. when the pause is released first few seconds the download
speed may touch many folds. it is similar to opening the tap, allow the water to run and temporarily hold the outflow. the water accumulated in the line for the time being, along with regular pressure, will burst out when opened.

one isp staff literally confessed they have to do that to show higher speeds.
for normal browsing this will not affect. only when you are using streaming audio or video you can witness the break. :angry:

in airtel such a thing is not there. for 256kbps connection the actual speed will be 220 plus or minus 5. all isps other than airtel/vsnl buy bandwidth from barathi telecom.

i have tried sify,hathway,bsnl. i found airtel is best at the present and their service is good. 🙄

ThanksU r bang on spot....u r right....regarding fluctuation....when my cable wallah came to collect his service charges i told him bout flutuation and i said that i will not give him Rs 100 until he sorts it out......after 2-3 days i was getting 32 KBPS constant.....only to get back to fluctuations after a few days again.......the problem gets corrected if a i send repeated emails to customercare .....but again they put u back in that fluctuation circle.......sify always plays dirty games....

Originally posted by real_india@Nov 30 2005, 02:02 AM
Hello to all. I am from Noida. Although this is my first post as a member i have been visiting this site for a long time.

I have a few queries regarding Airtel broadband connection( 256k Rs 999 unlimited Package). Currently i have a connection from a local cable ISP. He is charging me Rs 1000 for 256k unlimited connection. Although the speeds i am getting are just about ok(8-16 KBPS) but he is blocking all the ports except port 25 and 80.Since Airtel has started wiring my apartment building i wanted to shift to the 256k Rs 999 unlimited package.

From what i have read here and at other sites Airtel is giving speed between 20-26 KBPS. I am not sure what the upload speed is because many users have said that it is between 8-10 KBPS and many say it can go upto 16 KBPS.

It would be very helpfull for me if the Airtel users can answer a few of my queries!

1> What is the AVG, MIN and MAX download speeds that i can expect ??

2> What is the AVG upload speed ?

3> What type of wire Airtel uses for the connection between the junction box and the house ? ( I am asking this question becasue depending on the the thickness of the wire used i may have to reconfigure the internal wiring of my house since i live in a multistorey apartment !)

4> Which ethernt modem/router should i go for ? (it must have port forwarding options either via telnet or hhtp)

5> Does Airtel block Ports ? If any which ones?
[snapback]33637[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi, I live in Vasundhara Enclave near Noida Sec 7.

1. All I can say is while downloading using Flashget, I get 30-40 KBps.
2. No idea, I don't upload anything as such.
3. I think they are the same normal telephone wires (twisted pair?)
4. Go for Ethernet.
5. No idea

You can use any wire from the junction box to the point of termination (twisted pair). And yes they do block IRC connections, not just on ports mentioned by someone already but on the full sweep. Never had a problems otherwise.

Originally posted by tumtays@Dec 8 2005, 03:13 AM
You can use any wire from the junction box to the point of termination (twisted pair). And yes they do block IRC connections, not just on ports mentioned by someone already but on the full sweep. Never had a problems otherwise.
[snapback]34827[/snapback]
[/quote]
From where did u get this information?
THere are no IRC port blocks on AIrtel in Hyderabad.

no blocks in gurgaon as well. in some parts of bangalore they do block irc.

1> What is the AVG, MIN and MAX download speeds that i can expect ?? I am using Home699 Plan which gives me 20 kbps as max and 13-14 kbps as minimum but upload speed is incredible as it's more than 18 kbps always.2> What is the AVG upload speed ?3> What type of wire Airtel uses for the connection between the junction box and the house ? ( I am asking this question becasue depending on the the thickness of the wire used i may have to reconfigure the internal wiring of my house since i live in a multistorey apartment !)Don't know. never bothered, there was only one downtime due to rain and they fixed it within one day.4> Which ethernt modem/router should i go for ? (it must have port forwarding options either via telnet or hhtp)Ask for Ethernet modem.In noida sector 62 they are giving right now ZyXEL Web Distributor which is best.5> Does Airtel block Ports ? If any which ones?No, It does not. if you ever face call support people and ask for technician visit. they will open port from serve. Overall, I am very happy with Airtel, I had bad experience with AIrtel Mobile but very happy broadband. I have hosted one web site and even remotely anywhere on the connection. never faced any problem. I have downloaded more than 60Gb of data in last 4 months. So you can think about the speed and reliability.

@i_love_youi did'nt have to "get this information". here in bangalore they block IRC (selective). period. i'm not gonna try and prove this......@real_india:maby they aint blocking ports in your area, so let this bite the dust.

Actually when i enquired with Airtel, they said they will open up any port if you need it.

Originally posted by tumtays@Dec 8 2005, 02:03 PM
i did'nt have to "get this information". here in bangalore they block IRC (selective). period. i'm not gonna try and prove this......[snapback]34867[/snapback]
[/quote]Dont worry, I believe you.
Because my IRC is blocked too - Airtel Blore.
Just so you know, let me also say, that I used to be able to go on IRC servers fine previously. Then suddenly the idiots blocked ports 6661-6669. Also, I'm still able to access IRC servers that use different ports (and able to ping normal irc servers) - so that proves beyond doubt, that the protocol is not blocked, nothing else is blocked - its just plain & simple - 8 specific ports deliberately blocked.

@max
Well, they say so, thats not the truth.
Do u know, in fact, the employees at every single point I contacted, said NOTHING is blocked, IRC shud be fine.
Finally, I somehow got hold of a few higher-ranking officials. Again I got the same reply - no ports are blocked, they kept denying any possibility of blocked ports.
But when confronted with the facts, he finally blurted out a story - that lately lot of viruses/worms are spreading thru IRC (according to him) - and so they have blocked it to protect customers. And nothing will make them change that decision, they intend to keep the block in place (till god knows when).
The other 2 officials I contacted, too said what the above guy had told. And they also said, only "Home" schemes are affected by this. If I want all restrictions removed, I should go for a commercial scheme (says he).

Need further proof? 😉