25gb speed=12mbps with 25gb is it wow?

• Thread starter Thread starter Delhi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 17,035
I am sorry but I can't stop laughing what you guys are posting here :mml:Where do you get all wrong information?

1 month: FUP 25GB
3 months: FUP 80GB

I used both of the above plans.

Sorry for the above mistake, I forgot to mention that the FUP for 3 months is 80 GB and not 25 GB.

I have been using You Broadband since August 2011 and let me tell you what piece of shit company this is. I have been using the Hurricane You plan and I have never received more than 6 mbps download. This was when they first launched this plan. In the past month their service has become so slow that even if my download speeds touch 1.4mbps I am a happy man. Most of the time I only get between 0.3 - 0.7 mbps download. This is on a 12mbps plan and I have paid for 3 months. I still have around 60gb download I need to finish before I shut this shitty service down and switch to a more reliable network. Does anyone know any other good service providers who can give me upto 10mbps download in Gurgaon? Budget is not a problem, I can spend up to Rs. 20,000 per month on the internet but I would like to receive the speed I am promised (or at least close to it).BTW: if you finish your 25gb plan before the end of the month then you can renew you connection during the same month and get your speed back up. There is not no limit as to how many times you can renew your connection in a month. I usually used to renew 2-3 times a month when I used to get 2 - 6mbps. No I dont think I can even use 25gb in 3 months because of the slow speeds I am getting these days.

Does anyone know any other good service providers who can give me upto 10mbps download in Gurgaon? Budget is not a problem, I can spend up to Rs. 20,000 per month on the internet but I would like to receive the speed I am promised (or at least close to it).

BSNL offers 10 mbps unlimited for 13999 fibre broadband
http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/bb_ftth.htm#q1

Ohh, that's sad. I was about to take You Broadband connection, but unfortunately (after reading your review fortunately) my area was not feasible.For getting suggestion on Broadband connection in gurgaon, why don't you create a new thread in Main Broadband section, because this thread would be followed bt few people only whereas you may get a lot of suggestions in your new thread.Even Admin and many others are from same city.

Bsnl fibre is fab , but it isn't present everywhere in Gurgaon yet.bsnl DSL provides 8 / 16 / 24 mbps . Airtel too provides the same. However these plans arent unlimited, except for on fibre .

I have been using You Broadband since August 2011 and let me tell you what piece of shit company this is. I have been using the Hurricane You plan and I have never received more than 6 mbps download. This was when they first launched this plan.

In the past month their service has become so slow that even if my download speeds touch 1.4mbps I am a happy man. Most of the time I only get between 0.3 - 0.7 mbps download. This is on a 12mbps plan and I have paid for 3 months. I still have around 60gb download I need to finish before I shut this shitty service down and switch to a more reliable network.

Does anyone know any other good service providers who can give me upto 10mbps download in Gurgaon? Budget is not a problem, I can spend up to Rs. 20,000 per month on the internet but I would like to receive the speed I am promised (or at least close to it).

BTW: if you finish your 25gb plan before the end of the month then you can renew you connection during the same month and get your speed back up. There is not no limit as to how many times you can renew your connection in a month. I usually used to renew 2-3 times a month when I used to get 2 - 6mbps. No I dont think I can even use 25gb in 3 months because of the slow speeds I am getting these days.

If you can spend 20,000 per month then best you get one of these:
DEDICATED / CORPORATE CONNECTION using Fibre (FTH) or VDSL or Leased Line.

Talk to Reliance and other telcos BUSINESS ARM. They will provide you the more expensive but dedicated services.

manitkat said:
I have been using You Broadband since August 2011 and let me tell you what piece of shit company this is. I have been using the Hurricane You plan and I have never received more than 6 mbps download. This was when they first launched this plan.In the past month their service has become so slow that even if my download speeds touch 1.4mbps I am a happy man. Most of the time I only get between 0.3 - 0.7 mbps download. This is on a 12mbps plan and I have paid for 3 months. I still have around 60gb download I need to finish before I shut this shitty service down and switch to a more reliable network.Does anyone know any other good service providers who can give me upto 10mbps download in Gurgaon? Budget is not a problem, I can spend up to Rs. 20,000 per month on the internet but I would like to receive the speed I am promised (or at least close to it).BTW: if you finish your 25gb plan before the end of the month then you can renew you connection during the same month and get your speed back up. There is not no limit as to how many times you can renew your connection in a month. I usually used to renew 2-3 times a month when I used to get 2 - 6mbps. No I dont think I can even use 25gb in 3 months because of the slow speeds I am getting these days.
Internet market in India doesn't works the way you want it to work. There is no custom made solutions available yet. Would love to see a Company who can do "Make n Buy" plan on their website.
It's not that hard to give flexibility to people.
crashnburn_in said:
If you can spend 20,000 per month then best you get one of these😀EDICATED / CORPORATE CONNECTION using Fibre (FTH) or VDSL or Leased Line.Talk to Reliance and other telcos BUSINESS ARM. They will provide you the more expensive but dedicated services.
20,000 for 20Mbps is out of the question from Reliance, TATA or Airtel . However they will not impose any FUP on any lease line . You can get around 6Mbps Lease Line in your budget line without any FUP. Anyone who offers more speed and claim it as Lease Line is Bluffing/ Cheating.

xserver said:
Internet market in India doesn't works the way you want it to work. There is no custom made solutions available yet. Would love to see a Company who can do "Make n Buy" plan on their website. It's not that hard to give flexibility to people.
Care to explain what you mean in more detail?
xserver said:
20,000 for 20Mbps is out of the question from Reliance, TATA or Airtel . However they will not impose any FUP on any lease line . You can get around 6Mbps Lease Line in your budget line without any FUP. Anyone who offers more speed and claim it as Lease Line is Bluffing/ Cheating.
With the price of bandwidth dropping as it has for the past couple of years, it it possible to get a leased line for less than Rs1500/mbit/month now, even at the lower end (granted, I'm not as apt at costing out low amounts of bandwidth, but the rule of thumb is "the more you buy, the more you save, and the longer you buy for, the better").Of course, you have to know how to negotiate properly - take whatever the first salesperson tells you and divide it by at least 2. Even if they charge highly for infrastructure, off the top of my head I don't think there's any reason you couldn't get 10mbit/s symmetrical for under Rs20k in most cities. The question would remain though: do you *really* need one? Leased lines are often horrendously oversold - that is, for what they offer, they're overkill for the vast majority of people who are sold them.

mgcarley said:
Care to explain what you mean in more detail? With the price of bandwidth dropping as it has for the past couple of years, it it possible to get a leased line for less than Rs1500/mbit/month now, even at the lower end (granted, I'm not as apt at costing out low amounts of bandwidth, but the rule of thumb is "the more you buy, the more you save, and the longer you buy for, the better").Of course, you have to know how to negotiate properly - take whatever the first salesperson tells you and divide it by at least 2. Even if they charge highly for infrastructure, off the top of my head I don't think there's any reason you couldn't get 10mbit/s symmetrical for under Rs20k in most cities. The question would remain though: do you *really* need one? Leased lines are often horrendously oversold - that is, for what they offer, they're overkill for the vast majority of people who are sold them.
Thinking and Delivering are very 2 different aspects of doing business. I would be more interested in seeing 1 Mbps 1:1 Lease Line delivered @ 1500 rather than speculating that it can be done.
Your calculations are based on C x P x (X - Y) which unfortunately is not available for most of the ISP's.
As this is an open forum I am not going to discuss the commercials of bandwidth but the basic rule which is followed by everyone is " Subject to Technical & Commercial Feasibility" which does not comes into picture when you are planning to deliver a Lease Line 10 kms away from your POP.
You call up a salesman , divide the figure by 2 , salesman agrees , fills the CAF , takes your money and you will end up with 1/2 speed of what you expect .
The question always remains and there remains an equal answer *YES* you do need a lease line to eradicate the numerous bottlenecks of *SO CALLED INDIAN BROADBAND POLICY*
Oversold in terms of pricing or in terms of quality ? I have seen numerous cases of both and in both cases the sole aim is of survival. Survival in term of *Preparing for future Competition* & *To make one's Bread n Butter*.

xserver said:
Thinking and Delivering are very 2 different aspects of doing business. I would be more interested in seeing 1 Mbps 1:1 Lease Line delivered @ 1500 rather than speculating that it can be done.
Frankly, there's no point in worrying about 1mbps leased lines because with the way they're used to define the product in India (very very loosely), they're complete and utter bullshit because they're not actually what they're made out to be. Yes, you may lease exactly that amount of bandwidth but rarely does anything else come with it even at the relatively high-prices.

If, however, you're talking about what the rest of the world calls a leased line (T1/T3 etc) in which case even for the measly 1.5mbp/s speed you're going to be looking at at least Rs20k just for that because of what the product is and the way it's delivered (and don't forget the SLA).

xserver said:
Your calculations are based on [color=#333333;][background=#f2f2f2]C x P x (X - Y) which unfortunately is not available for most of the ISP's.[/color][/font]
Copy that from NIXI's website or something? The estimated cost in my last post is based on the per-megabit price I get at a much higher level (with a multiplier to account for the fact that you're buying less) and an educated guess at the infrastructure cost based on recent memories of per KM pricing in Mumbai.

xserver said:
As this is an open forum I am not going to discuss the commercials of bandwidth but the basic rule which is followed by everyone is " Subject to Technical & Commercial Feasibility" which does not comes into picture when you are planning to deliver a Lease Line 10 kms away from your POP.
This one, unfortunately, is true. If you've ever watched how we respond publicly to the "do you deliver in..." questions, you'll notice we often say "no, due to local conditions". But, if I can get a DS-3 delivered to the premises 22km away for around 8 lakhs a year, then surely I can extrapolate from that information what ~10mbit/s would cost - I'm not just pulling numbers out of my arse here.

xserver said:
You call up a salesman , divide the figure by 2 , salesman agrees , fills the CAF , takes your money and you will end up with 1/2 speed of what you expect .
Uh, no, that's why I said you have to negotiate. If you don't negotiate, they will ream you. I'd have thought that it's in the blood of most Indians to not accept the first offer and to bargain it down hard - I like to think I learned from the best, in that respect 😉

xserver said:
The question always remains and there remains an equal answer *YES* you do need a lease line to eradicate the numerous bottlenecks of *SO CALLED INDIAN BROADBAND POLICY*

Buzz. Wrong answer. In case you hadn't noticed, this is an issue seen around the world, and I could probably rattle off the entire list of countries from the top of my head where they think bandwidth caps are absurd. Everywhere else? You're stuck at whatever arbitrary limit the ISP says you can have - often with little to no competition (in many countries, ISPs are a monopoly and/or state-owned).

xserver said:
Oversold in terms of pricing or in terms of quality ? I have seen numerous cases of both and in both cases the sole aim is of survival. Survival in term of *Preparing for future Competition* & *To make one's Bread n Butter*.
Unfortunately this too is a hard truth, but both, actually (see my first paragraph above).

Many ISPs are pretty complacent when it comes to knowing what their customers want and most believe that 2mbps is "enough". This is, unfortunately, simply a result of faulty thinking - whose faulty thinking depends on the exact situation. With the way many ISPs operate, it could be either the accountants, the backhaul, the last mile or even some other party altogether.

For example, I often ask for a quotation on dark-fibre and get back a price quote for rated lines at 1gbps or whatever because they literally don't understand that no, I want to run as much as I possibly can over this fibre. To cite a current example, I'm currently in negotiating for layer 2 access to an open network with a certain company and despite them approaching me with a "our network supports 1gbps speeds", they still don't quite get it, because even after we sat down and I hashed out our offerings to them (and thus, our requirements), they still gave me prices for [paraphrase] up to 16mbps, higher speeds will require more capex so the costs for higher speeds will be more. [/paraphrase]

This despite knowing our basic offer on that type of service is 25mbit/s. This actually means that they've lied to me: if more capex is required to support 1gbps, their network (as it is) does **not** support 1gbps, does it? And I'm still trying to press them to tell me what it's going to cost me to just let me offer services straight up at 1gbps.

Similarly, when I talk to a backhaul provider, some of them aren't even willing to offer dark fibre, but I always get the spiel "our network runs at whatever speed you want" - so if I ask for 100G the likelihood is that I'll get a price an order of magnitude more than 10G even if I'm directly paying for the optics at either end, which is just wrong considering they're supposed to be a dump pipe and nothing more.

Then there's the last-mile walas - they're some of the worst - if for no other reason than I've seen them ask for a >70% cut of the price the user pays. This does add to the difficulty of providing a decent service at a reasonable price somewhat.

But I digress, and you never did end up explaining to me what exactly you meant when you were talking about flexible "make n buy" plans.

mgcarley said:
Frankly, there's no point in worrying about 1mbps leased lines because with the way they're used to define the product in India (very very loosely), they're complete and utter bullshit because they're not actually what they're made out to be. Yes, you may lease exactly that amount of bandwidth but rarely does anything else come with it even at the relatively high-prices.
If, however, you're talking about what the rest of the world calls a leased line (T1/T3 etc) in which case even for the measly 1.5mbp/s speed you're going to be looking at at least Rs20k just for that because of what the product is and the way it's delivered (and don't forget the SLA).
Yes, that was exactly my point of what Leased Line means , whether it's 1Mbps or E1/T1/DS-3 , It will relatively cost very high because of its nature.
mgcarley said:
Copy that from NIXI's website or something? The estimated cost in my last post is based on the per-megabit price I get at a much higher level (with a multiplier to account for the fact that you're buying less) and an educated guess at the infrastructure cost based on recent memories of per KM pricing in Mumbai.
Yes, It's from NIXI website. I was waiting for your feedback that even if you buy STM-1 @ XYZ price , you cannot provide 1Mbps @ 1500/month as there are infrastructure cost involved in it.
Now you are coming to the point that it is not possible to deliver 1 Mbps @ 1500/month ?
The OP was seeking for something similar with a budget of 20K and seems that you totally moved the topic into a new direction about *Why It Cannot be Done* or *It can be done in the future*

mgcarley said:
This one, unfortunately, is true. If you've ever watched how we respond publicly to the "do you deliver in..." questions, you'll notice we often say "no, due to local conditions". But, if I can get a DS-3 delivered to the premises 22km away for around 8 lakhs a year, then surely I can extrapolate from that information what ~10mbit/s would cost - I'm not just pulling numbers out of my arse here.
Your figures do smell a nasty *dunno from where it's being pulled* but *STILL* its Rs 1481/Mb/Month without Service Tax .. Along with Tax it becomes 1664/- , Higher than what you had quoted of 1500/Mb/Month.

mgcarley said:
Buzz. Wrong answer. In case you hadn't noticed, this is an issue seen around the world, and I could probably rattle off the entire list of countries from the top of my head where they think bandwidth caps are absurd. Everywhere else? You're stuck at whatever arbitrary limit the ISP says you can have - often with little to no competition (in many countries, ISPs are a monopoly and/or state-owned).

Instead of fighting with idiot ISP's I will be better off with a Lease Line or Stop Using Internet.
mgcarley said:
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Unfortunately this too is a hard truth. Many ISPs are pretty complacent when it comes to knowing what their customers want and most believe that 2mbps is "enough". This is, unfortunately, simply a result of faulty thinking - whose faulty thinking depends on [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] exact situation. With [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] way many ISPs operate, it could be either [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] accountants, [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]backhaul, [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] last mile or even some other party altogether.[/color]

[font="'Droid Sans'"]For example[/font][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;], I often ask for a quotation on dark-fibre and get back a price quote for rated lines at 1gbps or whatever because they literally don't understand that no, I want to run as much as I possibly can over this fibre. To cite a current example, I'm currently in negotiating for layer 2 access to an [/color][font="'Droid Sans'"]open network[/font][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] with a certain company and despite them approaching me with a "our network supports 1gbps speeds", they still don't quite get it, because even after we sat down and I hashed out our offerings to them (and thus, our requirements), they still gave me prices for [paraphrase] up to 16mbps, higher speeds will require more capex so [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] costs for higher speeds will be more. [/paraphrase][/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]This despite knowing our basic offer on that type of service is 25mbit/s. This actually means that they've lied to me: if more capex is required to support 1gbps, their network (as it is) does **not** support 1gbps, does it? And I'm still trying to [/color][font="'Droid Sans'"]press[/font][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] them to tell me what it's going to cost me to just let me offer services straight up at 1gbps.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Similarly, when I talk to a backhaul provider, some of them aren't even willing to offer dark fibre, but I always get [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] spiel "our network runs at whatever speed you want" - so if I ask for 100G [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] likelihood is that I'll get a price an order of magnitude more than 10G even if I'm directly paying for [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] optics at either end, which is just wrong considering they're supposed to be a dump pipe and nothing more.[/color]
Welcome to the Era of *IDIOTNESS* or Let's say *UTTER SMARTNESS* from your upstream company. You ask them Dark Fiber but they will ultimately end up selling bandwidth to you.
Why will they sell a Hen when they can Sell you Eggs Forever ? 😛leasantry: The Reason is "To Curb the Competition which you might give them with their own Hen" :nono:

mgcarley said:
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Then there's [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] last-mile walas - they're some of [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] worst - if for no other reason than I've seen them ask for a >70% cut of [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] price [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] user pays. This does add to [/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]the[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] difficulty of providing a decent service at a reasonable price somewhat.[/color]
You are gradually coming to the point that despite of all efforts it is not possible to provide 1Mbps @ 1500/month at current market standards where ISP is cut off with all sorts of facilities may it be RoW , Dark Fiber , or Even Subsidized Spectrum in lieu of the heavy License Fee / FBG / PBG.

mgcarley said:
But I digress, and you never did end up explaining to me what exactly you meant when you were talking about flexible "make n buy" plans.
Already explained it in my second post where you can make your custom plans and active it. Obviously Hayai had already done most of it but not all of it .
For Ex.
Speed Selection - 512Kbps ~ 1000 Mbps
FUP Selection - 500MB ~ 500GB
Time Selection - 1 Day ~ Year
*Chota Recharge ~~ All the Way Dino Recharge*
Chota == Small

xserver said:
Yes, that was exactly my point of what Leased Line means , whether it's 1Mbps or E1/T1/DS-3 , It will relatively cost very high because of its nature.
Yes, but if you recall, my original point was that leased lines as they are usually sold in India are not leased lines.
xserver said:
Yes, It's from NIXI website. I was waiting for your feedback that even if you buy STM-1 @ XYZ price , you cannot provide 1Mbps @ 1500/month as there are infrastructure cost involved in it.Now you are coming to the point that it is not possible to deliver 1 Mbps @ 1500/month ?The OP was seeking for something similar with a budget of 20K and seems that you totally moved the topic into a new direction about *Why It Cannot be Done* or *It can be done in the future*
Well, unfortunately, NIXI's website has nothing to do with anything at all. NIXI is a peering exchange, nothing more. They do not provider infrastructure nor bandwidth. As such, the numbers there are completely irrelevant to this discussion.Also, I did not say it would not be possible to deliver 1mbit/s at Rs1500/month - the price of bandwidth now would allow that BUT I'm saying that even looking at a 1mbit/s leased line for anything other than an ATM or something that really needs it is pointless: a leased line at this level would not be about bandwidth, but more about reliability and latency. Oh, and keeping whatever data you're transferring on that line the hell off of the public Internet!!In addition, the price of Rs1500/mo as quoted in a previous post would be inclusive of the infrastructure and at the time I got a quote for that, this included 22km of fiber from one part of the city to another - I did say DELIVERED, not just bandwidth, didn't I?Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you think I'm saying the OP couldn't get what he wants for that price - I seem to recall saying exactly the opposite, that is, 10mbit/s for under 20k *now*.
xserver said:
Your figures do smell a nasty *dunno from where it's being pulled* but *STILL* its Rs 1481/Mb/Month without Service Tax .. Along with Tax it becomes 1664/- , Higher than what you had quoted of 1500/Mb/Month.
Perhaps, but there are 2 reasons for this:1. Anyone buying a leased line is likely to be a business, and can write off service tax.2. Prices on most consumer lines in India are published as "plus service tax".3. Anyone buying a leased line without forming some kind of legal entity and not writing it off as a business expense would probably be slapped by their CA.
xserver said:
Instead of fighting with idiot ISP's I will be better off with a Lease Line or Stop Using Internet.
Unless you plan on building your own network, you may have to opt for the latter.
xserver said:
Welcome to the Era of *IDIOTNESS* or Let's say *UTTER SMARTNESS* from your upstream company. You ask them Dark Fiber but they will ultimately end up selling bandwidth to you.
Well aware of it, which is why my RFPs always specifically say we're not interested in bandwidth, merely fibre - we take care of the optics at either end and connecting from there to everything else, all we want is some operational cable that is either in place or contracted to be so.
xserver said:
Why will they sell a Hen when they can Sell you Eggs Forever ? 😛leasantry: The Reason is "To Curb the Competition which you might give them with their own Hen" :nono:
Fortunately for me, they're not allowed to say no. In addition, I'm fairly certain that they *would* sell me a hen if I were promising to pay them royalties on every egg that the hen laid - for them, it's money for nothing.
xserver said:
You are gradually coming to the point that despite of all efforts it is not possible to provide 1Mbps @ 1500/month at current market standards where ISP is cut off with all sorts of facilities may it be RoW , Dark Fiber , or Even Subsidized Spectrum in lieu of the heavy License Fee / FBG / PBG.
I'm not sure you're entirely familiar with how things work. FBG/PBG have to be paid irrespective. License fees are according to revenue, so you'd think it's in their best interest to minimize that.You should also know that when I cite a number, it should suggest to you that I am no longer legally obliged to protect that information, which means that it's probably at least a year old.As such, my original statement about 10mbit/s being available for less than Rs20k should be roughly correct (let's peg it at Rs15k for the sake of the argument and the person who stated they could spend that much), assuming that the price of 10mbit/s is correspondingly higher (percentage-wise) as compared to the per-unit price at the higher tiers;HOWEVER;you may (or may not) be correct that 1mbit/s of dedicated bandwidth on shared infrastructure (as most "leased lines" are delivered in India) may (or may not) be available at Rs1500 depending on the actual provider of the infrastructure (some are more reasonable than others). Most likely I suspect that you'd see something like Rs2k for 1mbit/s and Rs15k for 10.But you'd *definitely* not find anything available on dedicated infrastructure (such as a T1/T3/etc) at these sorts of prices - the equipment by itself makes this prohibitively expensive.What I seem to be seeing from you is a small amount of confusion as to how much things cost: the cost of providing 10mbit/s over infrastructure is not 10x the cost of providing 1mbit/s. In reality, it's probably more like 1.1x the cost - if that, since the only thing that actually changes is the amount of wholesale bandwidth required to service the connection. I'm not spending any more money on optics or switches or cabling, the cost of electricity increases only marginally, I'm not spending any more on licensing or anything else like that, all I'm doing is changing a couple of numbers in some software and that's basically it (in a slightly simplified nutshell).
xserver said:
Already explained it in my second post where you can make your custom plans and active it. For Ex. Speed Selection - 512Kbps ~ 1000 Mbps FUP Selection - 500MB ~ 500GBTime Selection - 1 Day ~ Year *Chota Recharge ~~ All the Way Dino Recharge* Chota == Small
Apologies, I did not see this part of the post (and I still can't see it, but you're explaining it now so it's OK.Also, there are other providers which allow you to customize your plans, although in my opinion, not as much as we do. But there will be a reason for this level of customization not being available: billing becomes a nightmare. There's a reason we only restrict either one or the other (data or speed) - if we had to have profiles for each speed + data combination, it would get VERY messy VERY quickly. As it is I only have to have about 10 or so for each category of customer.Additionally, I seem to recall there is a restriction on the number of plans a provider is allowed to offer at any given time so as to "avoid confusion" - as I recall it is/was about 25 or 30 but I'd have to refer back to the rules.

If you have fine control over your billing application then nothing is going to be messy. It might become messy if you are using some third party billing application who refuse to implement such stuffs. These are time / data based random plans which are not persistent on the system kind of OTP. Basically these are not plans , these are top ups as we can see in the Cellular Industry. ISP segment is yet years behind in implementing this concept. We are the most economical country when it comes to Mobile Phone usage , But still nowhere near economical when data usage comes into light. I would love to topup my account with 10GB of data for 1 day if i need heavy downloading and next day follow my usual plan.

xserver said:
If you have fine control over your billing application then nothing is going to be messy. It might become messy if you are using some third party billing application who refuse to implement such stuffs.
Having fine control over the billing system is not the problem - having what would technically amount to being a custom plan for each individual customer, THAT is the problem, because the logic involved (which is how the billing system is going to calculate things) is difficult to implement.This is why (as I suggested earlier) it's best to only have one variable change in the plan... that is to say either speed or data (not both) otherwise the amount of plans you have to program in to the billing system increases not linearly, but exponentially. More to the point, I don't know any respectable ISP anywhere in the world that wrote it's own billing system in-house but frankly,such a project would surely be a disaster because ISPs are not accountancy firms or lawyers, and most programmers aren't either.
xserver said:
These are time / data based random plans which are not persistent on the system kind of OTP.
Sure, but you ensure accuracy how, exactly? This is one of the biggest complaints I saw when I was building up: people claiming inaccurate billing and/or massive bill shock when some grandma receives an Internet bill for a lakh.
xserver said:
Basically these are not plans , these are top ups as we can see in the Cellular Industry. ISP segment is yet years behind in implementing this concept.
When you're billing voice, you're billing only one variable: time. When you're billing for Internet services, ideally you're only billing for data, so such topups become completely feasible (and this is how certain plans on my network work), but what you seemed to be suggesting is for both to factor (as if you might pay less per GB at 512k than at 10mbit/s).Airtel already does bill for both speed and data, with optional "smartbytes" addons - and look how well that's turning out.
xserver said:
We are the most economical country when it comes to Mobile Phone usage , But still nowhere near economical when data usage comes into light.
No kidding. I had no idea. Thank you for that insight.
xserver said:
I would love to topup my account with 10GB of data for 1 day if i need heavy downloading and next day follow my usual plan.
On some ISPs you can. Airtel is one of them, but there are others *trying* such plans - I think Nextra or someone like that was doing it. Smartbytes isn't turning out to be very fun for many people, based on what I've read, and I don't have enough information about some of the others yet to ascertain what customers are thinking of those plans.The way I've solved it personally on certain plans is to just let the wires worry about determining the speed (in the same way that there's no restriction on the speed of 3G and you will get different speeds according to area, time of day, where you're downloading from etc), simplifying the billing by only worrying about data usage and allowing you to top up any time you want so long as your account remains valid. But that's just me - other ISPs may or may not follow suit one day.