• Thread starter Thread starter baudhayan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 11,517

baudhayan

Regulars
ISP
Hathway 50 Mbps+ Vodafone 3G
Hi guys,I currently use the Modem in Bridged mode & use a Windows PPPoE dialer. I am also using the Modem in USB mode & not connecting via LAN card. I know that the latency period with USB increases from 1ms (LAN) to >10ms (USB). Fortunately I am getting a good net access speed. Just needed to know your Internet settings & the recommended settings.

I m using PPPoE mode for connection. But what is Windows PPPoE dialer?

Using PPPOE and dialing through modem itself.I like to have the Firewall enabled.Along with NAT..

ans 2 powdermonkey's question: in d default triband settings ur modem is configured 4 PPPoE dialing whenever u switchon d modem. U can also change ur PVC0 settings in ur modem 2 Bridge mode instead of PPPoE/PPPoA. Once u have done tht u can actually configure ur windows 2 dial 2 connect 2 triband just like a traditional dial-up line. If u r using WinXP try creating a new connection & select Broadband connection. I m attaching d screenshot.View attachment 312

See this for PPPoE

http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.htm
Will there be a speed difference if my ISP switches to PPPoE?
This is a difficult question to answer. The definition of the protocol points to a 5-10% decrease in bandwidth, as extra data will need to be sent down the line to handle the PPPoE signaling. There may be other penalties as well, derived from the server-side implementation.
If you look at this from a mathematical stand point PPPoE adds 8 bytes of header to the standard 1500 byte MTU packet. With this in mind you are only reducing speed by .3% (Yes .3 of one percent). So will you see a speed decrease, no, you probably won't.[/b]

Does PPPoE increase security risks with my broadband connection?
No in fact it will lower them. You can have your PC up and running but not connected to your ISP if you choose to disconnect with your PPPoE Software leaving you no longer vulnerable to and "Internet Attacks"[/b]

actually, it doesnt matter if u use ur modem in pppoe or bridge mode.. it wont affect the speed that u get.. if u use the modem in bridge modem, ure using the windows dialer to establish a connection, else u are using the router's dialer.. either way u are still in pppoe mode.. ;-)
See this for PPPoE

CODE
http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe.htm

Will there be a speed difference if my ISP switches to PPPoE?
This is a difficult question to answer. The definition of the protocol points to a 5-10% decrease in bandwidth, as extra data will need to be sent down the line to handle the PPPoE signaling. There may be other penalties as well, derived from the server-side implementation.
If you look at this from a mathematical stand point PPPoE adds 8 bytes of header to the standard 1500 byte MTU packet. With this in mind you are only reducing speed by .3% (Yes .3 of one percent). So will you see a speed decrease, no, you probably won't.

Does PPPoE increase security risks with my broadband connection?
No in fact it will lower them. You can have your PC up and running but not connected to your ISP if you choose to disconnect with your PPPoE Software leaving you no longer vulnerable to and \"Internet Attacks\" [/b]

bridged mode .. connection/disconnection much faster.can automate it without much scripting.public IP... web server, ftp server (w/o NATing on modem)firewall can be more easily customized.torrent, file transfers, super webcam work better.secures modem..modem cant be accessed remotely.

configuring modem in bridged mode is easier then configuring modemin pppoe mode. just change radio button to bridge mode in modemwan page. rest u need to configure on ur pc.