PPPoE or Bridged Mode

• Thread starter Thread starter baudhayan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 11,521
well ask mtnl to replace modem.. may be u would get the latest one.

How beneficial would it be to switch to bridged mode considering I am using the 949 unlimited plan?

speedwise not much. but refer my earlier post in this same topic.also u get exact counters of upload and download.(which in ur caseu dont have to worry about)plus i personally find bridged mode more comfortable and more secureas well.

Bridge Mode is not secure...if your using NAT then your protected against all kinds of worms/script kiddies armed with public exploits...Bridge Mode makes your router like cheese (or butter...pick your dairy product)...i've got a huge firewall log that tells me just that...sure, bridge is waaaay faster for p2p/torrent/gaming...but wrt security it blows...or as they say in canada...it blows....Current Song : Holly McNarland - Beautifull Blue 😀Peace, People!

for pppoe mode:just give random MTNL ip or scan ip port 80 and put ip in ur browser.most modems have password admin. once u login u can play aroundand do port forwarding to machine ip (normally 192.168.1.2)whooaa u have full access to machine. unless some firewall is there,so bridged mode or pppoe mode.. both are equally insecure unless uhave configured ur firewall properly.

Isnt the procedure provided by Cyberwiz to use Bridge mode too tedious? I just selecte d Bridge Mode In WAN properties and rest configured the Windows dialer. Is it fine? will now I be able to schedule for NU period?

Method provided by cyberwiz
For configuring bridge mode -

1) Log into web interface of modem

2) Select Lan from left hand side options and disable DHCP server. Click save and reboot the modem from the reboot option. While the modem reboots, assign static IP to ur LAN card. You can do it in win xp by double clicking on the lan icon in the tray the selecting properties > TCP/IP>>Properties...use192.168.1.3 ; put the mask in as 255.255.255.0 and Gateway as 192.168.1.1 ; use the foll DNS - Primary 203.94.243.70 ; secondary 4.2.2.1

3) When the modem comes back online, log in again into the web interface for the next part of the configuration.

4) Click on WAN from the options on left hand side

5) in the WAN setup click the edit button in the row which shows PPPoE enabled

6) ATM/ PVC configuration will pop up, let the settings as they are and click next

7) Now from the options that appear select bridging and change the encapsulation mode to "VC/Mux" click next

8) In the configuration screen that follows, make sure that the "enable bridge service option is
ticked..Give any service name or let it remain as it is. Click next

9)In the WAN setup summary click save.

10) Now the wide area network setup will appear click "save/reboot"..let the modem reboot.

What I did
1)Log into web interface of modem
2) In wan properties select Bridge Mode, Apply and then reboot.

That's it
then I configured my windows dialer

will I lose out on some features by this method> i heard there some features like port forwarding ,NAT etc whcih are better in Bridge Mode.
Will the way I configured my Bridge Mode affect these features????

that's perfectly fine what u did...but i guess u've not automated the connect/disconnect yet to avail the night unlimited to the fullest...

Read this thread till the last post. I had problems similar to you, so maybe this will help.For your info -1) I have a UT-300R2U.2) I've set up bridged mode. ( You have to change the DHCP to Static Ip if you want to use bridged mode)3) For automation of downloads, I use free download manager (It can be used for scheduling http downloads as well as dialling connections, disconnecting it, shutting down the computer, and even to start different applications at a particular time).4) The connection dialler inbuilt in free download manager isn't good, as in it is unable to handle disconnections properly. I solved this problem by using the application scheduler to schedule a batch script file, which would dial the connection (for the batch script, read cyberwiz's posts, he gave it to me)5) I also use the inbuilt scheduler in utorrent to start downloading of particular files at particular times.

yes...u need scripts to connect/disconnect...to schedule them, i used to use FBTask Scheduler...don't use it anymore as i disconnect only when i need to restart 😛 😉

Thanks Apoorv

ur script
@ECHO OFF

:loop
Echo Trying to Dial your connection.........
rasdial DSLname username password

if NOT %ERRORLEVEL% ==0 goto failed

Exit
:failed
cls

Echo Failed to connect....will retry

goto loop[/b]

works fine for cnnecting. But what about disconnecting which I need to do before 12 am and 8 am

UPDATE:just downloaded Advanced Task Schedulr....works perfect

hmm... i use bridge mode. .and use the inbuilt windows scheduler to connect and disconnect and also start azureus and flashget @ certain times so i dont have to worry abt starting the downloads myself.. hehe 😛if using the inbuilt windows scheduler make sure u tick "Run only if logging in".. works perfectly. no need of any third party applications. 😀