• Thread starter Thread starter sri
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4,163

sri

Regular
ISP
local ISP
For the past few days,i hv been facing dis problem f ip address conflict.I told their customer care several times bt no one cared to help me out.Everytime i call.dey say ur request has been forwarded wid our technical team.I just mentioned dis problem to one f my frnds.He told to install outpost firewall&to my surprise dis firewall gave all information abt attacker's ip&MAC address.When i told sify, their customercare ppl told me their wrk ws half way done by me.D wrk wich dey were supposed to do s done by me.Thank my frnd cozi don't hv dis ip address conflict problem..

which ip do we get...as he will be having the same ip as ours :blink:

uh...do you have a static ip that you are complaining about? IMHO Sify provides dynamic ips using DHCP. And this kinda problem arises if you setup a static IP when you ought to be using a dynamic IP.

Sify provides dynamic IPs at their main servers while all their subscribers are in collections of private LANs where they have static, internal IP addresses. These are often spied upon and played around with mischevous subscribers.Also firewalls record every single incident like pings or even other network "noise" so they may not necessarily tell about the miscreant who is trying to play mischief with your ip address.

Originally posted by max@Nov 13 2005, 04:55 PM
uh...do you have a static ip that you are complaining about? IMHO Sify provides dynamic ips using DHCP. And this kinda problem arises if you setup a static IP when you ought to be using a dynamic IP.
[snapback]31769[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't knw whether sify provides static ip r dynamic ip.As mentioned by inetbum wud b dynamic ip.AFAIK all broadband users hv been given a permanent ip unlike n dialpup,so wid tht ip address ne user can do mischevious acts.

Originally posted by avinds@Nov 13 2005, 09:26 AM
which ip do we get...as he will be having the same ip as ours :blink:
[snapback]31726[/snapback]
[/quote]
It mentioned diff ip address&MAC address.

Originally posted by inetbum@Nov 13 2005, 09:31 PM
Sify provides dynamic IPs at their main servers while all their subscribers are in collections of private LANs where they have static, internal IP addresses. These are often spied upon and played around with mischevous subscribers.

Also firewalls record every single incident like pings or even other network "noise" so they may not necessarily tell about the miscreant who is trying to play mischief with your ip address.
[snapback]31813[/snapback]
[/quote]
erm...you are too paranoid. Get yourself a good powerful firewall! I know Sify provides private IPs but didn't know if they were static or dynamic. Thanks for clearing it up. Now if you are having problems with people spoofing your IP or you are getting conflicts when your system comes up then all you gotta do is "capture" the ARP traffic and you will find out the MAC address of the guy who is doing it. But the problem is that you can easily spoof even the MAC address 😉

sri... no matter how much cautious u r on sify.. u r never safe. I was on sify... someone hijacked my account also. Its damn frustrating I know. But u can't do a thing bout it. Cuz intelligent ppl always spoof their MAC adds n use different IPs for hijacking accounts. So, even if sum1 does not bother to masquerade his details, he can easily tell sify that sum1 else did it. Outpost wont help ya either. Like inetbum said
Also firewalls record every single incident like pings or even other network "noise" so they may not necessarily tell about the miscreant who is trying to play mischief with your ip address.[/b]

And sify can't do a thing bout it. U call up their CC... they will definitely assure u that theyll take care of that person. But in reality they cant.
To make their network more secure they will have to change everything which they never will.
Wat sify says that you cant login to sum1 else's account w/o changing ur local IP to theirs is also crap. You can log into anybodys account w/o changing ne of ur own settings like MAC add or local IP... its all very simple.

The best solution to this problem is to get rid of sify altogether.
BTW.... ur in which city??

i think the sify client sends clear text passwords. Thats very vulnerable to sniffing 😉 and I assume they dont block LAN transfers 😉