Microsoft Anti-Spyware is now Microsoft Defender

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Microsoft has decided to give its under beta testing software Microsoft Anti-Spyware a total makeover. And they are now renaming it Microsoft Defender. The application has been developed to remove spyware applications from the computer, which have plagued the windows based operating systems for long. The application is now being upgraded to detect rootkits, keystroke loggers, and other threats in addition to spywares.

More: https://techwhack.co/archives/2005/1...osoft-defender/

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
what do you mean by rootkits? Things similar to Sony rootkit or specifically Sony rootkit?

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
security companies are i believe still contemplating whether to consider sony's rool kit a security hazard. they should now do it coz hackers have already using their technology... microsoft defender would be detecting the rool kits for what they are... not specifically sony.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
Hmm....I think Sony's rootkit is malicious enough to be labeled as malware!

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
but considering they are not a malware company. they would have a chance to fix their misdeeds.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
Oh this has gone too far already! I can't imagine they had guts to do it! :(

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
they are idiots. with so many smart people around it was stupid to install hidden software in people's PC.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
hehe. they made fools of themselves by doing this. I remember, netscape made a fool out of themselves when they had released version 7 (or was it 8?) of their browser. They had touted it as the most secure browser and the very next day they had to release a patch for some security issue ;). I remember the embarassment that netscape faced!!

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
firefox claims to be the safest browser around. secunia still reports flaws in it. opera has no flaws unfixed on secunia.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
there were flaws but they are patched up pretty quick..... Opera will have flaws detected as it gets more popular ;)