New York gets Ford Escapes as hybrid taxis

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
The highly crowded streets of New York now get hybrid taxis in the form of Ford Escapes. These taxis get double the gas mileage of traditional cabs and generate far less pollution. The city is starting with just six of the bright yellow Ford Escapes in the city’s vast taxi fleet. This number is expected to be increased to 18 by the Thanksgiving week.

This has happened after efforts from the environmentalists and the City Councilman David Yassky who pushed for the legislation authorizing the use of the vehicles as cabs. David now says that as the time goes by, more such vehicles would be visible on the roads of New York. Yassky said in a statement to the media: “I’m determined that in five years, every cab on the streets of New York will be a hybrid.”

More: https://techwhack.co/2391/111107-new-...s-hybrid-taxis/

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
ah thats a good move. but when will we see pollution free vehicles? Hydrogen powered cars? :)

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
You know what? There was a hydrogen powered car developed by some company which didn't use fuel cells. Rather it used a honeycomb structure to hold the hydrogen in an inert state. When the temperature was changed, the hydrogen would come out of the structure and then could be used as fuel. The combustion resulted into water! Hence it was a pollution free vehicle. I have never heard of it since. May be the oil companies got to them! :ph34r:

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
Yes, but my point was it was a real feasible technology. They even had a prototype which compared very well to Petrol cars in terms of pickup, mileage, range etc...