New MTNL Broadband Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter netfreak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 9,729
Originally posted by aniketvb@Nov 14 2005, 11:48 PM
Also i feel that linux is ready for the desktop...only that people are used to seeing "my computer" ........[snapback]31958[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well the comments by Max and Sushubh are quite valid and certainly you wont put them in this category.

I have linux on my PC (coLinux) and beinga developer I will use in instead of Windows taht is if it has the Apps that I need to get my job done.

FYI, Linux, isn't ready for the desktop, yet. There are some commendable efforts out there - SuSE, Lycoris, Linspire etc... But the basic problem for Linux right now is the device driver availability. Unless, we have better driver support, just Linux isn't going to take off. The reason why Windows is so popular is because you can plug in any piece of hardware and 99% of the times it will work out of the box!

Originally posted by max@Nov 15 2005, 02:13 AM
FYI, Linux, isn't ready for the desktop, yet. There are some commendable efforts out there - SuSE, Lycoris, Linspire etc... But the basic problem for Linux right now is the device driver availability. Unless, we have better driver support, just Linux isn't going to take off. The reason why Windows is so popular is because you can plug in any piece of hardware and 99% of the times it will work out of the box!
[snapback]31971[/snapback]
[/quote]

from my experiences, linux seems to have a better hardware support. atleast internal ones. it detected and played my tv tuner card which my windows fails to do even with the original cd supplied. the problem i suffered was with scanners and printers.

i feel somebody could make good installers for linux.....the driver installation still sux in most cases.i hope installshield and others out there are listenin.

applications like open office have excellent installers. opera and firefox does ok in most cases too. the problem is support for these installers. some have RPMs some have DEBs... its all so confusing.

yup....have u seen the ati catalyst driver install....nice gui for it, i think they have done a lot with the install thing. Good for lazy guys like me who don't like pokin around with all those sbin, etc, X11 directories lookin for files that have mixed cases and then havin a hard time opening those files in vm. I always forget gone are the days of unix shell...we have nice gui desktops for linux too...mmmI am kinda addicted to shells...🙂

sushubh, i am amazed the linux detected your TV Tuner card. In most cases TV Tuner cards are difficult to get working. And yes, scanners are a BIG problem on Linux. You know what? I bought a Samsung printer (ML-1520P) and was surprised to find a Linux installer! I tried it out on my system. It worked flawlessly but it did manage to break a tool. But it was a nice GUI tool! It was as simple as installing on Windows! Just click next - next - next and you're done! This just goes to show that if the hardware vendors are ready to support linux, then it will be just as easy to work with it as its with windows 🙂

heh. mandrake even came with a tv tuner application. so it was well out of the box working fine. the pinnacle application which came with the card no longer works on my xp machine after some xp upgrade. so well i ended up throwing the card in the garbage.