Help with speeds

• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 8,989
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by max@Nov 11 2005, 06:54 AM
upstream and downstream are same as upload speed and download speed. In adsl upstream < downstream. It's generally 1/4th or 1/8th or the downstream. They reckon that you download much MORE than you upload so they give you less upstream and more downstream. More savings for them....
[snapback]31405[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yea. But in my case, the bloody uploads get faster tha my d/ls! i get a 10kBps d/l speed, and my u/l speed is usually higher (~12kBps)

whoa....vince you are ONE LUCKY GUY. I mean, on one side, Sushubh and I are having to content with 30-40% lower speeds while YOU on the other hand are getting 50% MORE speed! 😕

15KBps = 120Kbps! 😱 How do you put up with this?! Its not even HALF the bandwidth that you are supposed to get? Or is it because you are sharing the line?

well if my system was defective, it wont happen just today? or would it? 🙂

Hmm...is that true? Are you getting slower browsing speeds and higher download speeds?

I hope you figure it out soon. Because I am starting to loose all hope for Broadband in India 🙁

heh. dont lose hope. we are doing much better than most of the humanity on the planet.

yes we are doing better than most of humanity when it comes to comparing ourselves to sub-saharan africa (that too only in certain quaters), otherwise it's a sad pic... unfortunately.

why do we have to compare ourselves to African nations? In plain words they give a DAMN about internet let alone broadband.... They have more pressing needs like Food, Shelter, Clean water etc... Not that we have it all but atleast our cities provides the three basic necessities! We should compare ourselves with Japan, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands and yes the US. Why? Well simply put we are the self declared "IT Super power", aren't we? 😉

Max...dont get me wrong but i am little confused by your post, you start off by saying that broadband in india is neglected 'cause the Govt. here has to deal with "more pressing needs like Food, Shelter, Clean water etc... Not that we have it all but atleast our cities provides the three basic necessities!"....i live in Bangalore (in one of the prime areas), the so called IT superpower of southeast asia, but i get fresh water here every alternative day or so that too for a few hours in the morning... for my sump to fill up, imagine other areas! if providing the basic amenities is still a prob. for the govt. even after 50 odd years of independence then i dont think i am wrong when i compare our country to sub-saharan africa. Therefore to dream about a good high speed internet connection is probably years away. We then have to wait until they have solved the basic problems, which will not happen in my lifetime atleast. thanks to the jokers we elect as our leaders, who have no vision or motivation, as elections are fought on very different lines, rather than improving internet, infrastructure etc.

The best bet for a poor country like india where laying cables etc and maintaing them is a prob.....is go the WI MAX way and the govtshould invest heavily in such tech., rather than trying to send men to the moon. One of the reasons why mobile telephoney has done well is precisely beacuse it is wireless. Only then will the small ciites or rural areas actually get any kind of broadband.

I wonder what happened to all that fibre optic stuff? i remember a few years back they had dug up all the foothpaths in bangalore multiple times (without closing them up properly) to lay fibre optic cables.

i cannot compare myself to western europe or north america because we are no where close to matching their standards of living, in any area. With so much lillitracy, poverty and unemployment etc. i guess we have to be more realistic with our expectations. I really wish i could compare myself to the rich nations described above, but can't really. We indians somehow feel ashamed or hurt when someone calls us poor or underdeveloped, but the truth is exactly that, we are one of the poorest nations in the world, and got to live by it ...like it or not. Dont forget that we are a privelaged few people in india to be able to afford a comp and so called broadband.

If the govt. was serious abt giving us broadband it would have set the minimum standards of 1 mbps or so to be classified as broadband, as opposed to 256 k. and the way it runs its BSNL, with caps and limits like it is some kind of a precious commodity for the govt to control, and make money, itself shows how clueless they are about broadband. 'cause all the Minister or Sec for IT who formulate the policies must be doing is checking his/her mail box and nothing beyond, try explaining to them the power of broadband.

But although i have to be realistic ..... "i have a dream" and hopefully my dream of surfing on a good high speed connection is materialsed soon.

Sorry for sounding too much like a preacher friends.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/index.html - click on this link to check the latest internet stats around the world.

uh....you got me wrong. My statement said - "Africans give a damn about Internet. THEY have more pressing needs like ... ". Dude, have you ever been to a POOR African nation? Have yuo seen any documentaries about the poverty over there? If not then pleae do! India will seem like a HEAVEN!As for India being poor. You are wrong my dear friend 😉 We are the 4th RICHEST (Yes, thats right RICHEST) country in the world in terms of Purchasing Power Parity. 😉

indian economy has extremes. poor people keep getting poor. rich goes not getting more richer.

Status
Not open for further replies.