Shift to AirTel Boradband?

• Thread starter Thread starter poly-gone
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 5,433

poly-gone

Greetings,I currently have a HOME-1000 BSNL DataOne connection. Though the speed is slick (384kbps), I'm constantly exceeding my bandwidth limit (2GB) by almost a factor of 2! Last month, I used nearly 4.0 GB!So, I wanted to know if it would be worth shifting to AirTel's Home-999 Plan? If yes, then what do I do with my current modem? Can I use it with AirTel's connection or could I sell it back to BSNL? I'll soon be shifting to a Linux box, so I was also wondering if AirTel supports Linux?If someone could give me an overview of how "getting the AirTel connection" works, since the AirTel website lacks sufficient information, I'd be thankful.

Thats the problem with broadband connections! You just CANT put limits on it. Our ISPs dont seem to understand that. Enough of my rant 😉 The answers to your questions are:1. yep, it would be worth it. The speed wouldn't be 384Kbps but a bit less 256Kbps.2. You can prolly use the modem for the airtel connection since both BSNL and Airtel use the same technology. Dunno if BSNL "locks" the modem or makes some mods before passing it on to the end user. If thats the case then you need to flash the device with the newest firmware from the company and you would be good to go.3. If you want to use linux with your adsl connection then dont use the USB modem. You need to get the ethernet modem. Its just a matter of connecting it using some lan cable (cat5/5e) with you comp. You need to have an NIC in your comp though 😉

poly-gone- I would suggest you do what I have done. From this month(nov) onwards, I moved to the business 1200 4GB plan from the Home 1000 2GB plan. But no free d/ls from 2-8am. Checking my data usage for the past 2 months, my total usage(free+regular) is about 4-4.5GB/month so the 4GB limit is kinda manageable until Airtel comes to my area.

edit- Didn't read about the airtel part. If Airtel services your area, close you eyes, GO FOR IT. You'd be fool to stick to bsnl if airtel is already providing connections in your area. 256k 999 unlimited is a good plan.

The difference between bsnl and airtel is TCO(total cost of ownership). With airtel, I had no disconnection problems, no fiber/copper cable cuts. Connection was constant and reliable. With bsnl, first few months was wonderful but after the honeymoon, things went downhill. Fiber cut for 7 days, server problems for a week, a no-clue helpdesk, no central area for clearing complaints, and worst of all, no unlimited plans. And then, airtel collects payment from your doorstep, for bsnl, I need to go to some junkyard govt office. Bsnl functions like a govt office. They're attitude is: we are doing you a favor by allowing you to be a bsnl customer. So suck it up and shut up. At airtel- they are private so customer is king(upto a certain extent 😉 )

If you value peace of mind and simple no fuss billing( https://broadband.forum/index.php?showtop...indpost&p=30728 ), you'll understand airtel is the better proposition.

Kick BSNL and switch to any other provider if you have a choice. Those sarkari babus are shameless sadists who love to make your life painful. Wishing u luck with Airtel. 🙂

quick reply.. I was at the bsnl office today. While waiting for the sarkari babus to finish their 10 course lunch(1.45-2.45pm!), by change I met somebody who stayed in the same apartment building as me(about 8 months back). This person is a retired guy(69 years) and he returned from the US 3 days back. Came with his son. Earlier he had airtel broadband and bnsl phone. He disconnected broadband after his 2nd son went to the US. He had come today to get a new bsnl broadband connection. After shaking hands, pleasantaries, I asked him what he had come to this wasteland( bsnl office 😉 ) for.. he said " I want to apply for a new broadband connection". I showed him the printouts of the august broadband usage(from the service records), bills starting from march, letters and told him how much of a problem bsnl has become.. he listened intently and said- ah, is that so? I told him that he was lucky to even have airtel available. Bsnl is making people suffer. Advised him to take the 699 rs 128k ul connection(his son is going back in like 25 days so 256k is kinda not needed). And sent him on his merry way back to his house. One more potential customer of bsnl lost. 😛 more on my visit to bsnl today in another post.

Good job! Let us all do this! Every week for atleast 1hr let us all woe to stand outside MTNL/BSNL office and educate customers and send their merry way home! 😛

Originally posted by bugatti@Nov 7 2005, 01:30 AM
And then, airtel collects payment from your doorstep, for bsnl
[snapback]30927[/snapback]
[/quote]
Really, i wonder how i can get them to do this, thier office is not too far, i usually go first thing in the morning it gets very busy in the afternoon.

Originally posted by max@Nov 9 2005, 10:44 PM
Good job! Let us all do this! Every week for atleast 1hr let us all woe to stand outside MTNL/BSNL office and educate customers and send their merry way home! 😛
[snapback]31230[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why do it for free ? Unless your time isn't worth much.

Will airtel give you a discount if you bring them customer/s

I am not asking you to be a salesman for airtel. All I am asking you is to "discourage" people from falling into BSNL/Sify trap 😉 What they choose over it, is their choice!

True, I think its time for me to shift to Airtel. Thses BSNL Babus think that they are the king. I have been calling these bas***** for past one month everyday to activate data one on my BSNL connection. It was working fine untill I shifted my house. Now its been one month my data one is de-activated though I am able to make and receive calls. Evey time they have a new excuse. First it was passing the order from the older exchange. Then it was not receiving order at the new exchange. Now they say its been sent for a bloody password creation. I dont understand why is there a password creation. We have just shifted a connection and they just have to activate it.

posted after a 2 yr gap in the thread 🙂

@vishalrao Happy New Year 2008. Unless the old threads like this are locked this is bound to happen.Let us hope the moderator closed all threads with last posting in say Oct 2007...or authorises some volunteers to do the same . Now we have too many "help me" threads with 500 postings repeating the same query/, different topics/ which is already answered in the thread , and nobody has the patience to start with Post No 1! Just click a tag and post !