Broadband around the world...

• Thread starter Thread starter Stedenko
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,200

Stedenko

Hey everybody... My name is Dene and I hail from Auckland, New Zealand...I was cruising around the web today comparing Broadband services and prices around the world, because of a letter I got today from my ISP... I was having a read through some of your different "ISP Forums" and I started thinking to myself that my broadband problems were pretty silly compared to the stress and strain you seem to go through in India. All I can say is thank goodness we don't have SIFY in New Zealand... 😛 Anyway, the letter stated that they were dropping the price by NZ$10 per month from NZ$69.95 per month (Approx 2,160 Indian Rupees) to NZ$59.95 per month (Approx 1,850 Indian Rupees)... You would think I would be happy about this, but NO!!! What I actually want is better value for my money...Obviously the infrastructure, cost of living and average income in our 2 countries would be very different, so if my opinions seem ungrateful, arrogant or ignorant in any way, it is not on purpose... I just thought it would be interesting to get your opinion on what I have available compared to what you have...Here is how my ADSL connection works... I have full speed available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week... Depending on where I am downloading from I get 280-300 K bytes/sec every time... My connection has been slow once in the 12 months for about 3 weeks... There was some faulty equipment at the local telephone exchange that took 3 weeks to upgrade... During this time I had a speed of 112 Kbps... I get 10 Gig of download traffic per month and once I reach the limit, my speed is "capped" to 64 Kbps for the rest of the month...Here are some averages in New Zealand so you can compare:Average Annual Income in NZ - 860,000 Indian Rupees (I personally earn quite a bit more than this)Petrol - 45 Indian Rupees per litreCigarettes - 300 Indian Rupees per packetRenting a house for an average family with 3 children - 9300 Indian Rupees per weekLoaf of bread - 70 Indian Rupees Am I getting value for my money??? Would you be happy with this service taking the cost of living and average income into consideration??? We know that Telecom NZ make massive profits from their Internet services and that our infrastructure allows for speeds of 8Mbps... Should they be giving us more data for our money??? I would actually like 20 or 30 Gig per month... Other countries have no data limits at all...Thanks and by the way... The only batsman better than Stephen Fleming is Sachin Tendulkar... 🙂

I should also add that my connection is very solid because I live close to the telephone exchange... People that live on the 5 kilometre border of ADSL do experience fluctuating speeds down to 1Mbps at busy times of the day...

Net Connection Type: Xtra Adventure - Download 2Mbps Upload 320Kbps - 10GB Data CapIndian companies are cutting validity days or charge rupees per meg after the data cap is crossed 🙂

We have the same thing, only it is a different plan... You would pay 3 times your monthly cost in "over usage" charges for another 10 Gig though... :blink: I am also writing some articles and have decided to use this subject as part of the set... It would be good to know things like:*Do you have plans of this speed?? Do they compare well against yours when taking the economic differences into account??*If you don't have plans of this speed, would you be happy with these sorts of plans, again with economic differences taken into account...*Do you get what you pay for with your broadband connection in India??*Who are the best ISP's and why???*Do you download??? What types of things do you download??? What programs do you use???And of course anything else you think is interesting when comparing 2 countries like this... I would like to use direct quotes in the article (no names obviously)... So please feel free to add anything at all...I have made other posts like this in other countries as well and it should be an interesting exercise...

We do have plans of 1 and 2 Mbps provided by BSNL (largest telecom company in India) they cost Rs 3300 and Rs 9000 respecively per month. Normally these plans are not opted for by home users as they are considered quite expensive. Offices etc have lines upto 10Mbps but they cost sky high.In India most people use dialup. Those who use Cable/ADSL find Airtel as the best ISP. BSNL is the largest ISP that has the largest coverage.Of course we download using Bit torrent/other P2P's. Bit torrent is the most popular. People that have unlimited connections and good speeds download arnd 10-20 GB a month.

actually 1 mbps 10 gig is a good offer at 5000 bucks. after that its 60 paisa per meg... sad they dont have it in panchkula.

I really wish BSNL would increase the data limits and do the "speed cap" thing (at least as an option) instead of charging megabucks for excess downloads... will help people from getting bill shock hehei think the "best ISP" is airtel going by people's comments here... but i still sticking with BSNL coz they have the speed... but of course.. if airtel can give speed, no or decent download limits AND decent prices, and BSNL cant catch up then im switchingi think NZ falls under the "second class" broadband group... along with UK, US.... the first-class would be japan, s.korea, some places in europe and well... india? THIRD-class!only now US/UK are moving along with their speeds/prices, so i think it will be 5 years before India sees true broadband... true broadband meaning... high-speeds, no limits, AND affordable prices (under Rs 1000 per month)so 5 more years to go.... booohooo

I also think you are correct about the different "classes" of Internet...I work with a Korean gentleman who has lived in NZ for 2 years... His connection in Seoul was 10MBps Download and 5MBps upload... WOW!!! He had no data limits and it cost him approx $NZ30 per month (about 900 rupees)... Certainly "First Class" internet...Another question I have is about online gaming...*Do many people in India play online games??*If so, what are the most popular??*Do your ISP's have good local gaming servers to play on??*Do you get good pings and good quality gameplay??*Can you connect well to international gaming servers??*If so, which countries do you use??Don't be shy people... I want as many points of view as possible 🙂

Not many people play games online. Quake 3 and CS 1.6 are the most popular games that are played online. We get good pings, it depends on ur location and the quality of gameplay is good. I have not played much online and hence am not aware of the other queries.

Stedenko, first of all, welcome to the forum. Your post was indeed interesting. The statistics that you posted are very interesting. Our income may be less than that of NZ but the cost of goods is certainly very less compared to yours. For example, a loaf of bread doesn't cost INR70 here but a mere INR9. Thats less than 1/10th the cost. I dont mean all goods are going to be that cheaper but more or less in the same range.About the connectivity issue, well we are still stuck with sucky 64Kbps connections which I think is certainly stupid. But it is because of a combination of evils - the government, telcos and policy makers. But Airtel which is one of the largest telco in India is promising to change all that. I am happy to see some country other than India which has similar problems as ours. I mean how can you live with a 2Mbps connection with just 10GB data cap? You can download 10GB in about 11-12 hours. Then, for the rest of the month, you will have to live with a 64Kbps connection. That is ridiculous. Dont you guys have other (read: better) isps in the NZ?I guess a 10GB cap is better than a 450MB one here. Yeah, imagine a 256Kbps connection with a 450MB cap! It's pathetic...

It comes down to the almighty dollar unfortunately... The telcos all pay for bandwidth and the less that we use, the more money they make.The problem we have in New Zealand is the monopoly of one company, Telecom. They were a government department until about 15 years ago and the ownership has changed a few times. It is now about 85% owned by other international telco companies like Bell. Because Telecom used to be a government department it still owns all of the main infrastructure right throughout the country. TelstraClear (Australian owned telco) have come to NZ, but only have there own telephone lines and internet services in major industrial areas because they make more money from business... Telstra and various other companies can also wholesale services from Telecom and on-sell them to business and residential customers... This is where we have the problem...Telecom sell their own services on ADSL... Other ISP's (Internet Service Providers) cannot sell this product... There is a second ADSL platform in NZ which Telecom runs called UBS ADSL... This platform is very unreliable, speeds are always slow and it can be very frustrating to use... This platform is used by the other ISP's because it is all that Telecom will make available to them. You can get very cheap plans with unlimited data, but it is just not worth it... I play online games as well and it is certainly no good for that.So when one company has such domination it makes it hard for the others... There would be about 6-8 major ISP's in NZSo I stay with Telecom because the speeds are good and very reliable... I have no choice if I want good internet 🙁 It is just a matter of managing your data cap very carefully...

I hate monopolies. It is because of these monopolies that there is no progress. You mentioned Bell in your post. Is it the same Bell Telecom (UK)?? Because if it is, then it surely sucks a whole lot! My friend in the UK is always complaining about them. Though, they dont have sucky plans but they are very bad at customer service... Can you give me a link to your ISP's website?