Aitel Broadband v/s Mtnl Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter krish_88
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 96
  • Views Views 20,665
Originally posted by max@Nov 24 2005, 08:24 PM
netfreak, D-Link only supplies drivers for the network cards...
[snapback]33085[/snapback]
[/quote]

That sucks big time.

I think they have GPL drivers, not sure why would they not release it to users. I will try looking into it.

netfreak, they dont even supply drivers for their Wifi NICs. No manufacturer, except Intel, provides drivers for wifi NICs. I really respect Intel for that. Prism used to be a good choice. But now the manufacturer has stopped co-operating with the OpenSource community! 😕 Perhaps it was pressure from M$. Actions indeed speak louder than words. Intel-M$ cartel has been a long drawn debate. But these actions of Intel are totally contrary to those beliefs!

Originally posted by max@Nov 24 2005, 09:55 PM
netfreak, they dont even supply drivers for their Wifi NICs. No manufacturer, except Intel, provides drivers for wifi NICs. I really respect Intel for that. Prism used to be a good choice. But now the manufacturer has stopped co-operating with the OpenSource community! 😕 Perhaps it was pressure from M$. Actions indeed speak louder than words. Intel-M$ cartel has been a long drawn debate. But these actions of Intel are totally contrary to those beliefs!
[snapback]33102[/snapback]
[/quote]

yep i agree with u there. the lack of drivers for D-Link wifi products on linux was a pain.

i highlighted the irony of the situation in my blog. D-Link, SMC, Netgear, Linksys all use a stripped down version of GNU/Linux to run their routers and access points. But they dont contribute back to OSS by releasing the source code and they dont even open up the specs of their products. They just want to leech off Linux. #(*)%()#(*%)$$(*$(%($*)(*$(#). I get really worked up with the behavior of these corporates.

yes all of them are big chors. I had a tough time finding drivers for my onboard video card in lnux.

leechers! They dont want to contribute back to the community...

Hmm u sure they are using a linux version ?They can't do that cos its GPLd.Now if you said BSD, i might agree. And BTW they don't have to contribute back with it.

Originally posted by blr_p@Nov 28 2005, 09:34 PM
Hmm u sure they are using a linux version ?
[snapback]33483[/snapback]
[/quote]

Code:
BusyBox on (none) login: adminPassword:BusyBox v0.61.pre (2005.05.30-08:31+0000) Built-in shell (ash)Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.# cat proc/versionLinux version 2.4.17_mvl21-malta-mips_fp_le (jenny@fd6e) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release/MontaVista)) #70 Mon May 30 16:34:48 CST 2005#
they are using Linux

Originally posted by max@Nov 24 2005, 08:24 PM
netfreak, D-Link only supplies drivers for the network cards...
[snapback]33085[/snapback]
[/quote]

Got hold of GPL code for the USB Driver 😀 its a shame that they dont distribute code on their website in India. Will try to post link.

Download it NOW!!!!!

http://teckjoneindia.2plans.com/drivers/index.htm

It should work with any DLink router. Might contain code 4 firmware code. Enterprise customer care of D-Link ROCKZ....

Where / how did you obtain the code? And how did you get hold of enterprise CC?

Got it from their CC, one of my friends works in a company where D-Link supplies consultants for CnC ops, they have access to Enterprise CC. Was talking to him and it seems that you have to have worked for a few years in router or SAN automation even before they will consider you for a CC position.Much different then CC we get as "retail" customers.

Haha. Thats great. But why doesnt D-Link give out the drivers to everyone? I mean how could it possibly be against their interests? Lest M$ is pressurising them not to...

Originally posted by max@Dec 1 2005, 12:42 PM
Haha. Thats great. But why doesnt D-Link give out the drivers to everyone?
[snapback]33767[/snapback]
[/quote]

My guess/speculation is, its due to money.

IP lawyers need to scrutinize code before it goes out to public (to make sure you are not sharing any code that you "bought" from someone else).

And Lawyer's charges are way more then IT developers 🙁