Sify, NAT routers and firewalls

• Thread starter Thread starter cweihrauch
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 4,542

cweihrauch

Hi,
You may know I'm working towards sharing an unlimited sify account on a school network. Here are some observations I'd like to share with all of you

- I'm running a NAT router, that is a router which hides all yoru LAN hosts t from the outside world. It's a good idea combined with a firewall.
Now, the way the sify client is made, when you login from any system on the network, sify actualy logs in your router. This has the very interesting side effect that you can use the connection from _any_ computer on your lan using the router as default gateway.
What I wonder is how it will work if there are two packets used simultaneously. I think it won't work in the same way you can only start one instance of the sify client under windows. Has anyone tried this ?
I'd like to know if this is authorized from sify. I haven't seen any contract forbidding to share a connection and since the speed-cap is there anyway, it doesn't change anything to them. But I wouldn't like to encourage you to any illegal action.

- firewall : I strongly recomden using a firewall when using a sify connection because you're on a LAN with an unknown number of others. It's qutie amazing the kind of logs I get ! ranging for regular windows shared drive scans to brute-force ftp connection attempts p@$$ing through long portscans.

- I have unconfirmed reports that one can use the internet when someone else on the WAN [at least before it goes to an SU] is connected. There was a time when our account was depleted for a couple of days, and we could still surf every once in a while - the automatic ICQ login was what attracted my attention. This is independent from the whole NAT router buisness explained above.
Can anyone confirm this ???
Be carefull though, I'm no lawyer, but I think it would be pretty illegal to use your neighbour's connection ! So don't blame me for ending up in jail if you get caught.

- To all of you seeking security, I'd recoment a german single-floppy distribution, fli4l - http://www.fli4l.de. The documentation exists in german and english. Very little linux knowledge required to set it up. And it can be a neat way to recycle that ol' 486.

That's it for now.
coriolan

i am not sure abt what you said in the first part. but isnt installing the client over a linux machine running a proxy server easy way to access sify from multiple computers? that won't certainly be illegal considering the computer is sharing the resources...

Originally posted by Sushubh@Nov 26 2004, 06:10 AM
i am not sure abt what you said in the first part. but isnt installing the client over a linux machine running a proxy server easy way to access sify from multiple computers? that won't certainly be illegal considering the computer is sharing the resources...
[snapback]2426[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not sure... I Germany, some ISPs forbid you to share your connection on a LAN, be it NAT, Proxy or any other means. The rule is "only one user" - and that would be a human user, not a computer. Other ISPs on the other hand, don't really care, since you pay for a particular time/volume.
I don't know how the situation is in INdia, but I don't bellieve that using a proxy or a NAT router would make a difference in court - or to sify for that matter, if they decided to disable your connection

very true. but i agree with you... sify would not care...

Maybe Sify will only mind if someone runs a cyber cafe or maybe a SOHO (Small Office /Home Office) network using the Residential packages 😉

What I wonder is how it will work if there are two packets used simultaneously. I think it won't work in the same way you can only start one instance of the sify client under windows.[/b]
--cweihrauch

Can you clarify this please?

Originally posted by inetbum@Nov 26 2004, 12:50 PM
--cweihrauch

Can you clarify this please?
[snapback]2451[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think what he means is suppose you buy two 32+ packs (ie different accounts with different p@$$words) can you log on with both of them at the same time on the same computer. That would be intresting, wonder what effect it would have... I'll try it on a friend's computer...

The client running aint really the issue, becoz if you connect to your gateway through one comp with a particular ID, the speed of your scheme is transferred to you over the LAN line. So unless you set up 2 connections to your ISP, I dont think its possible 😉

Yeah two instances of a client isn't an issue. I am sure an alternative client can manage that 😉 . But even if we get 2 packages can we use one computer with a particular IP and MAC address to log into two different accounts?

2 lan cards is a matter of 300 bucks... 2 connection is a matter of dividing the lan wire into 2 seperate wires. 🙂the problem is logging in... but it would be good if we can use multiple sify connections using the xp tools that let us join multiple mode of net and using it together. 🙂