How much is really enough?

• Thread starter Thread starter vijay911
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 5,791

vijay911

Hello,The last time I went through the BSNL website, in the FAQ section they claimed that 1GB is more than enough for a user unless he downloads a lot of music and other such large files.Well, I intend to go for a Rs.250/month connection which offers 0.4GB limit.I do not intend to download much. I am switching to broadband just because it is volume based. So, when I am just reading or typing, I don't get charged as I do in dialup connections.So, my usage would be browsing, may be voice IM like google talk, and may be the occational download of very small files. Since, many are saying that bsnl is wrong and the 1GB they offer is not enough for normal users, I ask you to tell me how much do you use at your places. Are those people who say it is not enough correct?Finally, would you recommend that I go for the Rs.550/month plan? Please remember, I have almost no use for the 0200hrs to 0800hrs free download time that comes with that pakage. I am just afraid that I would end up paying more than 550/month, if I took the 250/month plan and found out that the 0.4GB is not enough.So, those of you who are normal users ( those who do not sownload heavily), please give me some idea.Thank you.

Originally posted by vijay911@Oct 24 2005, 12:53 PM
Hello,

The last time I went through the BSNL website, in the FAQ section they claimed that 1GB is more than enough for a user unless he downloads a lot of music and other such large files.

Well, I intend to go for a Rs.250/month connection which offers 0.4GB limit.

I do not intend to download much. I am switching to broadband just because it is volume based. So, when I am just reading or typing, I don't get charged as I do in dialup connections.

So, my usage would be browsing, may be voice IM like google talk, and may be the occational download of very small files.

Since, many are saying that bsnl is wrong and the 1GB they offer is not enough for normal users, I ask you to tell me how much do you use at your places. Are those people who say it is not enough correct?

Finally, would you recommend that I go for the Rs.550/month plan? Please remember, I have almost no use for the 0200hrs to 0800hrs free download time that comes with that pakage. I am just afraid that I would end up paying more than 550/month, if I took the 250/month plan and found out that the 0.4GB is not enough.

So, those of you who are normal users ( those who do not sownload heavily), please give me some idea.

Thank you.
[snapback]29314[/snapback]
[/quote]

If u dont intend to download then 250 plan is enough u will not any prob with that plan.

udayag .... u should never quote if the same post is just above ...hosting this site requires KB's !! and ofcourse the vitamin M.

Well, I have to yet experience true broadband. But from what I have felt, the speed is addictive. You will spend hours with Google earth, Voice IMs and Video IMs, you will love how quickly flash movies load up and you will love to listen to online radio or play a small game here and there. You will be tempted to send and receive those particularly large attachments that you couldn't on a dial-up! But by the time you realize what is happening, you will end up looking at a bill of Rs.20000+ 😉

Max is right, speed is addicitive. And also if u r a gamer u tend to play hours online if u get good ping(i get arnd 50-100 at some gaming sites). I suggest that u opt fr the 250Rs plan and if the usage exceeds 400MB change it to Rs500 plan(change of plan is free).

Hello,That was a very helpful suggestion from Mr.Raptor. I will first take a Rs.250/month connection, and then switch if necessary.But, then again, I just want to know from some one who has browsing habits as I have described above, if they 'regularly' exceed the limit of 0.4GB or may be even 1.0GB.So,please reply.Thank you.

Originally posted by vijay911@Oct 24 2005, 11:53 AM
my usage would be browsing, may be voice IM like google talk, and may be the occational download of very small files.
[snapback]29314[/snapback]
[/quote]

Get HOME-500 if you plan to use 'voice'. Sad but you cant even download 'occasional' small files on 0.4 GB. You can calculate yourself.

0.4 GB / 30 = 13 MB(apprx)

Now its for you to decide what all you can do in those 13 MB per day.

Normal surfing on a site uses about 5-8 MB per hour, depending on kind of sites you visit and your browsing speed.(well, thats just my estimate, havent actually observed)

Originally posted by vijay911@Oct 24 2005, 04:26 PM
Hello,

That was a very helpful suggestion from Mr.Raptor. I will first take a Rs.250/month connection, and then switch if necessary.

But, then again, I just want to know from some one who has browsing habits as I have described above, if they 'regularly' exceed the limit of 0.4GB or may be even 1.0GB.

So,please reply.

Thank you.
[snapback]29339[/snapback]
[/quote]

Usage depends on the kind of pages you visit. Mostly pages are of the order of a few Kbs. But flash pages can be quite large. Anyhow 400 MB should be fine. I myself am a regulr surfer and ocassionaly play games online. All of my downloads are during the free hours. I calculates my usage is still arnd 280 MB.
One of my friend uses Rs250 plan, his usage is around 250-300 MB a month. He is also a regular surfer.

i dont know much of bsnl and its plans... but one thing is sure that if you are a power user then u need an unlimited pack!!400 MB is peanuts for 1 month. I download at least 1.8 GB per day when I had 256 Connection.even if you are not power user ... applications like google earth will pull huge MBs and exhaust your packs! wise decisions are to go for unlimited packs compared to data/hours packs.

Download unlimited at the maximum speed possible is what i think it should be like, Sadly though these guys don't have any such plans 🙁 And as for the answer to your q's "How much is really enough?, bsnl claims, we can do a lot with 1GB"Nothing can suffice me when it comes to downloading. yeah i can do a lot with 1 GB, when i'm dead. But for now we want unlimited 😀

hello vijay911,I am using the home 250/0.4GB plan from BSNL. The first month i had a huge download of abt 115 mb for the then newly installed winxp SP2. This my second month and things look cool. I had been through this phase of indecision myself, as my earlier posts would show. Thanks to the discussions and support from members here, i went for the 250/0.4gb to try it on for size. It seems to fit my needs well. A friend of mine, on the other hand, ran into trouble on the very second day with the same package! videos and stuff... I think it has a lot to do with the needs of the user. I have enjoyed the breakneck speed of a 2Mbps line in my workplace. Last year it was upgraded to 8Mbps. Now I must confess that the novelty has worn off. So when it was time to get the broadband at home, i settled for a sober 0.4gb! Again there are people here who get a lot of stuff over the net.. and find the 1gb limit insufficient. The rule, as i see it is, there is no "One size fits all" solution here. I switched from dialup to broadband for two reasons1. B/B was much faster,2. The "money timer" in broadband does not tick away, as you rightly said, while reading or typing online.There is another keyword, which i am sure everybody here is already using. It is "discipline". Keep a watch on yourself. Set realistic targets for yourself by arriving at a compromise between time, content type , cost and volume of usage. This is highly subjective and differs from person to person. Once you get the hang of this, you should be fine.an example: I have been on this forum now for 1hr and 15 minutes.. reading and typing...The total traffic on my meter is under 1mb!

The person who said that 1 GB download limit should be hanged, for casual surfers its more than enough, but the people who take broadband mostly download, rather than surf casually :angry: The good thing is that they have atleast put up that unlimited download time, is it still there or no. 😱

Originally posted by oldtimer@Oct 25 2005, 06:57 PM
an example: I have been on this forum now for 1hr and 15 minutes.. reading and typing...
The total traffic on my meter is under 1mb!
[snapback]29424[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you sure its under 1MB. This is highly impossible unless you use opera in cached mode and trun off the images.
I am a regular visitor of this site an i use IE with images truned off and total data transfer is atleast 5 Mb/hr and if i switch on the images it can easily jump tp 8-10 Mb

A sincere advise to VIJAY. If you plan to use google talk then be aware thats the most b/w utilising software. Google talk can extract 25-30MB/hr. of your preciuos band width. So if you plan to use it on a every day basis go for the higher plan.

Originally posted by Raptor@Oct 24 2005, 04:06 PM
...And also if u r a gamer u tend to play hours online if u get good ping(i get arnd 50-100 at some gaming sites)....[snapback]29335[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey raptor i suppose u play cs online coz thats the only game that is IN for so long.
Even i play CS1.6(non-steam) and the best ping i get to a server is 200ms and no less than that. IF possible cud be pls gimme address of servers. Please leave it there or send me a mail on my address below.

The Mods have turned of the PM option again. Its kind of getting over my head now.

Originally posted by runeet@Oct 25 2005, 09:46 PM
The person who said that 1 GB download limit should be hanged, for casual surfers its more than enough, but the people who take broadband mostly download, rather than surf casually :angry: 

The good thing is that they have atleast put up that unlimited download time, is it still there or no. 😱
[snapback]29450[/snapback]
[/quote]

home 250 is peanut the quota get's over much faster than the fuel in my bike, there must be a handful of surfers who can do this within the limit, I am off my surfing habits nowadays still I need 2-3 GB per month,
as some one said it depends on user also, you can try for some pans initially but i am bang sure home -250 will be sufficient for you as per your net usage is described.