• Thread starter Thread starter cyberwiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 5,085

cyberwiz

Member since 2005
ISP
Jio Fiber @ 150 Mbps
Found an article on the online edition of Hindu...the author has correctly highlighted the negative aspects of the BB scenario..not like the rediff crap posted earlier on..we need many more like these to create awareness..

http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/18/stories/2005101803481000.htm

Making speed with broadband

A year after the Government unveiled an ambitious policy to promote broadband use, the Ministry of Communications is discovering the depressing reality that not all subscribers are ready to make the transition from dial-up Internet. Costs have dropped by nearly 75 per cent in the 12 months ended September, but the tariff reduction for 256 kilobits per second connections is rendered unattractive by restrictions on usage patterns or downloads. It comes as no surprise, therefore, that only about 600,000 subscribers among over 5 million Internet users have opted for broadband. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), which envisaged a liberal policy framework for broadband, has rightly called for concerted efforts by service providers to achieve the original goal of 1.5 million connections each in the private and public sectors by December. Given the relatively slow pace of growth, it would seem the opportunity to create a competitive and subscriber-friendly regime was lost simply because the Government was disinclined to share the BSNL and MTNL telephone networks with the private sector for service provision.

International experience indicates that a mix of entertainment and social benefits has fuelled expansion of broadband, where subscribers generally have unlimited access to upload and download content. Music, entertainment and multimedia information, e-governance, health and telemedicine, social connectedness, and the availability of information have all actively promoted its use. New multimedia content such as podcasts (audio programmes of a specified format which can be located by search and book-marked) that inform and educate, is adding to the popularity of high bandwidth connections; some universities in the United States have begun to post podcasts of lectures delivered in classrooms online for downloading by students. Sadly, in the Indian context broadband has not made the major strides thought possible only a year ago, in the absence of a wider base of users and active promotion of content creation in areas such as education, agriculture, health care, and e-governance. It is unlikely this situation will change dramatically if the "rationing" mindset that limits data downloads is not replaced by a more progressive outlook; the Confederation of Indian Industry had, in its submission to policymakers, envisaged affordable access of 1.5 megabit speed and unlimited downloads for home users to boost broadband penetration. Besides lifting of data download restrictions, initiatives to provide free wireless Internet in educational institutions, public libraries, and government offices may be necessary for wider and more equitable access. There is some evidence available from the Pew Internet Project in the U.S. to show that adoption of broadband may have slowed (there was only a three per cent increase in 2005 over the previous year) because a significant number of the remaining dial-up subscribers have low purchasing power. Clearly, policy intervention holds the key.

it hits the problem bang on spot. high speed with no caps is the only way that broad band will grow. what's the use of a 1.5mbps connection with a 5 gb cap. it only means that you will get to the limit faster. i hope the ISP companies wake up and smell the coffee because we user wont be putting up with this crap for too long. some company should come along and shake up the whole industry like gmail did to the mail industry.

ok good, finally people are talking about download limits.... so the general (moronic) public will also start demanding it hopefully....yep, 1.5 mbps unlimited as the article says, thats what we need

more than ISPs it should be the government who should take the initiative.They should allow private isps to use mtnl and bsnl networks. Guess thats the right thing to do.

i think the government did take an initiative by fixing a certain limit below which internet connection wouldnt be called broadband.. and also making it cheaper..yes they lost out on the pathetic data limits that they put.. i agree..but i think the step of making people think that broadband is and can be cheaper was definately a good thing... cause it made many isp`s reduce their prices too ..and ya they should actually the use of last mile by private operators too.. increase in competition would mean better service too...also just curious. would it be possible to have every isp provide a minimum of 256kbps speed and very low prices so that atleast 256kbps can reach the masses..cause even now you get 64kbps connections for 600 bucks.. which really sucks!

download limit is a very big culprit and most companies the exploiting it

can you guys please give me the email address of the author? I would like to thank him! This is the first article which REALLY addresses the issue of broadband. Do you think we should ask the hindu to publish more such articles that will REALLY embarras the ISPs? May be provide the authors with ready made facts / figures and analysis if the situation? May be this will provoke competing news papers and other media to publish similar or better articles? This is be a good WAKE UP call for the public which will just stop putting up with crap that Indian ISPs are feeding them???What do you guys think? I am really fed up of listening to the SUPER Triband combo offer with 250MB FREE data download (YES!!! 250MB!!!! THATS **SO** GENEROUS!!!! I can download the WHOLE INTERNET WITH THAT DOWNLOAD LIMIT!!!!1111).

They are guaging the market. Investment in this sort of infrsatructure is costly. SO they set a low limit and see the reaction. If more people complain they will increase it, but by a small amount. Give it a year or so and see the reaction. Then increase it again ever so slightly.

Gives them plenty of time to recoup their costs.

Only thing that might speed this up slightly is more awareness. They need to hear that people are willing to spend to get what they want. The % of ppl making the kind of money they want as customers is a tiny amount.

5 million users out of a population of 1Billion !!!!! That is pathethic. I would have hoped it would be at least 100 million. There seems to be a lot of hoo-ha in the west about India. Oh India this , India that...

...the reason, India is one of the top 3 Arms buyers in the world. Yep India has been spending billions in the last few yrs to get lots of toys for the defense dept.

Great article, finally!!!! I'm happy to see that some part of the real internet scenario is showing up in the newspapers for the 'aam junta'. It would be fantastic if The Times of India carries a big article with similar content. If anyone knows reporters who work for TOI, they should go and tell them about this. In India, things only begin to happen when people revolt hehe (like the electricity situation in delhi 😀The next step is to have this reported on the tv news. Imagine the look on the faces of the a$$hole ISP's when they hear of something like that haha.

Oh, and I will also copy and paste this article and send it in an email to good old Pacenet! Everyone should do this to their own ISP's! I know it wont make any difference, but they deserve this 🙂

Originally posted by yogi@Oct 24 2005, 08:42 AM
In India, things only begin to happen when people revolt hehe (like the electricity situation in delhi 😀
[snapback]29294[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hello.. that sounds interesting. The power was out for 12+ hrs yesterday in the part of BLR that i live.

This is crazy, we are in the 21st century, felt as if we were in the 19th.

How long did this "revolt" take to have an effect ?

How bad is the situation in Delhi now ?

Then again u ppl in Delhi are all hotheads, would be harder to get the cooler, easier going Kannadigas to do the same.

Originally posted by yogi@Oct 24 2005, 08:44 AM
Oh, and I will also copy and paste this article and send it in an email to good old Pacenet! Everyone should do this to their own ISP's!  I know it wont make any difference, but they deserve this 🙂
[snapback]29295[/snapback]
[/quote]
You would be much better off printing the article, and sending by courier a copy (or multiple copies) to people who are somewhat high-up in the ISP..... the best would be if you can find out the exact name and position of a person in some position of responsibility, but even otherwise if you really want someone to take notice, DON'T send an e-mail..... from my experience, I would say that they put the most lallu people in charge of checking and replying to e-mails..... and the most you will get is a preformatted reply along the lines of what I get from Airtel:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for writing to Airtel Telephone and Broadband Services.
{The one line reply they are actually giving you.}
It is our privilege to have you as our valued customer & would like to thank you for your continued patronage. We look forward to a long and fruitful association with you.

Warm Regards,
The lallu
Customer Care

PS: In case you require any further assistance, please
Ø Call us at 5161 2345 (For Landline Services)
5161 4555 (For Broadband Services)
Ø E-Mail us at care.delhi@airteltelephone.com or
Ø Fax us at 5161 3579[/b]

Now, I am not against preformatting if it saves them time and effort, and helps them to better (and more comprehensibly) answer my question, rather than deal with trivial formalities.... but, more often than not it seems, it is a poor poor disguise to send one line replies to their customers, even if they ask for very specific, answerable questions, and thereby really ignoring the customers' queries......

So in conclusion of my rant, send a letter by courier (it only costs Rs. 10) because they take hell of a lot more notice of it.

I immediately shot off an email to the editor of "The Hindu" newspaper. I requested him to publish more such articles. Hope he reads my email since is a long winded one! 😛

I think the problem is with we indians(in general) :1. We r always happy with watever we can lay our hands on.2. We always go for the cheapest available without considering the other aspects.3. I don't know maybe u guys can add someUntil we stand up n demand things nothing is gonna change 🙁All the ISP's are taking us for a ride with their capped plans or restricted badwith.We need more articles like this in the daily's which brings out the real scenario of the broadband situation in India.P.S : I'm forwarding this aritcle too my current ISP Airtel 😉