LINE STATS

• Thread starter Thread starter Positron
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 7,334

Positron

Regular
Could you guys log onto your router and post your line statistics please? I am observing something.

For those who dont know how to do it, here's the procedure:

1.Goto http://192.168.1.1/

2.Use username and password as 'admin' without quotes.

3.Under summary, your line stats are displayed:

PS: If that link doesnt open for you, you have to change your LAN IP to 192.168.1.100 and Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

My ADSL line stats are:

SNR:

UP: 29 dB
DOWN: 38 dB

Attenuation:

UP: 6.0 dB
DOWN:4.0 dB

DSP Version D.57.2.17

Output Power 10.9 dB

Originally posted by Positron@Oct 17 2005, 01:08 AM
Could you guys log onto your router and post your line statistics please? I am observing something.

For those who dont know how to do it,  here's the procedure:

1.Goto http://192.168.1.1/

2.Use username and password as 'admin' without quotes.

3.Under summary, your line stats are displayed:
PS: If that link doesnt open for you, you have to change your LAN IP to 192.168.1.100 and Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
My ADSL line stats are:
SNR:

UP: 29 dB
DOWN: 38 dB

Attenuation:

UP: 6.0 dB
DOWN:4.0 dB

DSP Version      D.57.2.17

Output Power    10.9 dB
[snapback]28821[/snapback]
[/quote]

but what are you going to do with these details?? anyway here's mine.

SNR
32.0 dB
34.5 dB

Attenuation 3.5 dB
8.0 dB

DSP Version D.57.2.17

Output Power 5.7 dB

Can u plz tell us wht is the reason for u asking this.So that v can also know if there is anything importance attached to it.

Originally posted by udayag@Oct 17 2005, 03:53 PM
Can u plz tell us wht is the reason for u asking this.So that v can also know if there is anything importance attached to it.
[snapback]28845[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am asking this just for my knowledge sake. Yes, these stats are VERY IMP because these are the stats of YOUR ADSL line and the speed that you get depends on these.

SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio; higher the better.

Attenuation = Signifies drop in the signal strength. This actually depends on the distance from the exchange as far as I know. Lesser attenuation is better.

I got interested in this because I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and he was unhappy with Dataone's speed(getting just about 125 kbps). 🤔 Then I asked him to check these stats and he had almost half SNR as compared to that of my line and a very high attenuation. Now he will call up BSNL and get it fixed.

It would be better if you guys can post back these stats along with the speed that you're getting.

You can check your speed here:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Thanks CNSBSNL for your valuable input.

yep, my stats are better than yours

This exactly what i had gotADSL Link Speed Up: 510ADSL Link Speed Down : 2045SNR Up : 0 (what the heck is this supposed to mean)SNR Down : 30.0 DSP Version C.87.2.7 Operation Mode ADSL2+ Now where is Attenuation, the other fields were CRC, FEC, HEC(ATM Layer) all 0.My speed for the speed test was 166.9 kbps 🙁 . Is this good or bad

Mine isADSL Link Speed Up: 639 KbpsADSL Link Speed Down : 6143 KbpsSNR Up : 17.2 dBSNR Down : 29.0 dB DSP Version D.57.2.17 Operation Mode ADSL2+ and speed for the speed test was 261.8 kilobits per secondpackage Bussiness 700.

Originally posted by Raptor@Oct 17 2005, 07:27 PM
This exactly what i had got

ADSL Link Speed Up: 510
ADSL Link Speed Down : 2045

SNR Up : 0 (what the heck is this supposed to mean)
SNR  Down : 30.0

DSP Version  C.87.2.7
Operation Mode  ADSL2+

Now where is Attenuation, the other fields were CRC, FEC, HEC(ATM Layer) all 0.

My speed for the speed test was 166.9 kbps  🙁  . Is this good or bad
[snapback]28857[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, 166.9 kbps is just 65% of 256kbps which BSNL claims, so it is definitely poor. I usually get speed between 230-240kbps. You did that test in idle mode right? While taking that test, make sure no downloads/uploads are going on. Also stop the surfing for that one minute or so.

SNR cannot be 0. It is showing wrong stat here. Theoretically, SNR can be 0 only when either the signal is zero or the noise is infinite. SNR is the ratio between the signal power and the noise power.

You might not have 'Attnuation' there under stats, may be because the firmware version is old. 😉

yep, my stats are better than all of yours'i get about 480-500 kbps average on my 512kbps connection.... 😛

After running the speed test in idle mode i got the results 256.6 kbps 🙂 . However SNR up was still showing 0.

Originally posted by Positron@Oct 17 2005, 05:58 PM
I am asking this just for my knowledge sake. Yes, these stats are VERY IMP because these are the stats of YOUR ADSL line and the speed that you get depends on these.

SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio; higher the better.

Attenuation = Signifies drop in the signal strength. This actually depends on the distance from the exchange as far as I know. Lesser attenuation is better.

I got interested in this because I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and he was unhappy with Dataone's speed(getting just about 125 kbps). 🤔  Then I asked him to check these stats and he had almost half SNR as compared to that of my line and a very high attenuation. Now he will call up BSNL and get it fixed.

It would be better if you guys can post back these stats along with the speed that you're getting.

You can check your speed here:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
Thanks CNSBSNL for your valuable input.
[snapback]28851[/snapback]
[/quote]

that's ok dude, did you get any inference

OK, do ou have any idea how to change either or both these SNR and Attenuation values ? Do I need to chase BSNL Engineer, or can I set these in MT800 ?Thanx!

You cannot change it through your modem. It's only showing you the data and it's the property of your phone line. SNR can be improved if you use good quality cable from your nearest pole to the computer. Lesser the joints, the better it will be.And the attenuation generally depends on the distance from the telephone exchange. There may be other factors as well.

SNRUP: 19.9 dBDOWN: 32.5 dBAttenuationUP: 17.0 dBDOWN: 31.5 dBDSP Version D.57.2.17 Output Power 12.1 dB Are these values good or bad?

I don't think these are good. I spoke to a Network Guru from my company, and he suggested to have SNR > 10db and Att < 10db, to be ideal. But this combination need to be tested before you can freeze on a set of values. The dependacnies are already mentioned in above posts.