vebk

Mr. Advocate
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
Just one of those funky new developments:

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/313/C4768/

Not that we will ever see it in India, but it never killed anyone to drool.

pawanrh

Regular
Regulars
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah I think this was talked about on the forums, Under the name: "Broadband through electricity Cables" or something, like that! But thats definitely gonna take time to come to India! Coz if we continue to have as many power outages as now, the Broadband connections will have horrible downtimes!

muttster`

Regulars
Regulars
Mar 25, 2005
its called BPL..broadband through power lines..not popular amongst hams..creates interference n stuff....IIRC google invested some money into it recently..

Vince

Regular
Regulars
May 23, 2005
wonder if the business of 'power fluctuations' will then result in BB fluctuations.. ;)

blr_p

Regulars
Regulars
May 26, 2005
Oh btw this article has nothing whatsoever to do with BPL (broadband over powerlines). Since there is no transformer in between the 2 connections (that's how i understnad it anyway).This is to do with using your home's eletrical wiring ot make a LAN inside your house instead of wired ethernet. SO you don't have to run an extra ethernet cable into every room, just buy one of those gizmos for each machine, hook it/them up to the power outlet to connect with the other machine/modem that is also hooked up to ur ISP + power outlet. From what i hear it works lot better than Wi-fi, when it comes to streaming media (mp3s + movies).

Prophet of the Pimps

Regular
Regulars
Jun 26, 2005
if you have a lot of gadgets which use radio tech then stay far away from internet from powerlines. the data signal in the power lines creates a lot of flux and makes a lot of interference. your cell phones will see a lot of disturbance, blue tooth devices will see problems, wifi networks will face problems, normal radio wont receive or will get a lot of noise and the list goes on and on.

saurabh28

VIP
Regulars
Nov 2, 2008
What a new concept!Sometimes extra voltage comes through Power Lines!Then we will get more downloading speed! :rofl: