• Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 14,929
Status
Not open for further replies.

skoka123

ISP
BSNL
Hi All,

I got a call from BSNL last Friday that the BSNL Area Manager has recommended me for testing of IPTV service in my area. They will be coming to my house in a couple of weeks and fitting the equipment. I was told that it will be free for the first two months and after that if I am interested I can continue.

I have contacted Wicebox people with a list of questions and these are their answers which I found to be pretty useful.

Hi,ee

Thanks for your interest shown in our System.Our Technical Team has
answered your queries. For further queries you may call our call centre at
XXXXXXXX from 9.00 am to 9.00 Pm

1) Where can I get a schematic diagram of the WiceBOX? I am
particualarly interested in its A/V connectivity. A picture of the rear
of the WiceBOX would be helpful.
Ans: We will put up a picture of the rear of the wicebox on the website
www.wicebox.com. You can read about the interfaces there.

2) Where can I download the manual or user guide for the WiceBOX?
Ans: Currently it is not available online but we will soon make it
available.

3) Does it support Component, DVI or HDMI video output
Ans: Component

4) Does it support Dolby Digital or DTS surround modes of audio?
Ans: At present, neither but will soon support Dolby.

5) When can I expect support for multiple WiceBOX per DataOne connection
in order to connect it to two TVs.
Ans: BSNL has come up with a Sulabh One plan where you have a rental of
just Rs99/-. It is advisable to take one more line in this plan and
attach a wicebox to this. A single line may not be able to handle the
bandwidth for two televisions successfully.

6) Is the remote of the WiceBOX IR or RF?
Ans: IR.

7) Does it have EPG?
Ans: Construction of an EPG is under process. Right now, there is a list
of channels available on channel 0.

8) I use Windows Media Center for my Home Theater setup and I am
currently using analog cable. The EPG is downloaded from Microsoft's
website. I know that Microsoft supports Tata-SKY and therefore Windows
Media Center downloads EPG from it's website for Tata-SKY channel
lineup. Do you know if BSNL IPTV provides the channel line up and
channel content to Microsoft for Windows Media Center? In other words
does BSNL IPTV EPG get downloaded in Microsoft Windows Media Center?
Ans: We will have to look into this. As we are already in the process of
creating one, we can incorporate this feature if it is not a substantial
diversion from our current architecture.

Can I connect a second television to the same WICE.box?
The WICE.box has two separate output ports, one AV and one S-Video. You can connect your television to either of these ports and both will work at the same time. For example you may want to connect your TV to the AV port and your projector to the S-Video port. But do remember that the same signal is available at both the ports.

The above qoute is from the FAQS section of wicebox site...will the display quality be same or will it degrade??

I can't say for sure but I gut feeling is that it should not degrade the quality. I have DVD players that output both Component and Composite and the quality of either does not change if the other is connected or not.

Can somebody inform me as to whom I should contact for the connection?Me too from Hyderabad!

I too got a call from BSNL Goldstone IPTV today. They told me that their 'technical people' will come and install the set top box at my place in 15-20 days as they have to configure my broadband connection at the telephone exchange.

Since this is a test run it will be free for the first two months and after that if I am not satisfied then I can return it back or else charges will be approx 125 - 150 per month.

Their website is not completely ready. You can check the website here BSNL Goldstone IPTV.

This person told me that right now they are providing 30 channels and by next month they are planning to add another 30. The channel list does not contain a single channel of my interest infact it is pathetic to say the least, but since it is going to be free I said ok.

No. Not yet. It is not yet two weeks.

So I think its more than 2 weeks now. Did they turn up and install the STB?

I have called up 1500 and also the JTO and they say that they have no idea about IPTV status for my home. Maybe I should contact the area manager.

When BSNL's mobile services are launched, There was a huge delay in the allotment of SIM cards and there were a huge waiting lists for providing new BSNL mobile connection.If rumours were to be believed, many private bigheads which feared a business loss if BSNL provides good service, played big role in delaying the BSNL's cellphone operations from the top levels, The bestway is to delay the delivery of SIM cards.I dont know it is a fact or not, but the issue seemed believable to me.I think the same thing is happening with BSNL's IPTV.I am fed up with Dish TV.I am waiting for BSNL's IPTV to be launched in hyderabad.

Status
Not open for further replies.