• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 6,703

uthfull

Uthfull.org
ISP
Aitel U/L 512kbps
I'm not a pro.I ordered for the free Ubuntu cds n got em yesterday.Installation was fine.I have a 80GB HDD with 4 partitions C, D, E, FNow, I installed Ubuntu on D.When I open WinXp... which is on C.........it doesnt show D anymore.Besides that..... I can't figure out how to run Ubuntu properly.Firstly, the resolution is 640x480. I can't change it even in the settings. I keep clicking on the arrows n they display nuthin else.Also, How do I see the files of my other partitions in Linux.I configured my LAN card properly, got to the sify download site n downloaded the sify dialer for linux.I extracted the tar.gz archive on he desktop in a folder named sify. It has a bin file. When i double click on it it shows 4 more files.Now how do I install the dialer n then how n frm where do I open it post installation.Also, if sum1 cud tell me sum basics of Linux.... it wud b of gr8 help. I had once tried RedHat... but it wuz too darn complicated for me.... din even let me play my mp3s.PLEASE HELP!!

windows cannot display linux file systems.ubuntu sucks for software installation... it uses deb files instead of rpms.googling for such things would help mate. i got an ubuntu installed here too... now waiting to get suse 10 🙂 that is the linux distro worth having!

Now, I installed Ubuntu on D.
When I open WinXp... which is on C.........it doesnt show D anymore.
[/b]

Well, actually, you didn't install Ubuntu on a D drive, but you removed that D drive partition, and installed Ubuntu on a new linux parition. Basically, linux uses different filesystem formats (ext2/3, reiserfs) from windows (NTFS/FAT32), so you wont be able to natively see your linux partitions from within windows, use a tool like explore2fs for the purpose (You will have to use some other tool like rfstool if you opted to use reiserfs partitions).

Now how do I install the dialer n then how n frm where do I open it post installation.
[/b]

Open a terminal window (Gnome terminal/xterm) and cd to the directory where you extracted the sify archive

cd sifyconnect-1.3-bin
Start the sify daemon

Code:
./sifyd
Use the login tool

Code:
./sifyconnect -l
If you want a GUI client, make sure you have the Java Runtime Environment installed, and then download the Mac client. Save it in a directory, and from a terminal run

Code:
java -jar BroadbandUI.jar
About the resolution, could you post the contents of the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf here?

Also, if sum1 cud tell me sum basics of Linux.... it wud b of gr8 help. I had once tried RedHat... but it wuz too darn complicated for me.... din even let me play my mp3s.
[/b]

Sure, ask whatever you want ... just somethings to keep in mind ...

Linux shell is case sensitive, so LINUX is different from linux.

Partitions are treated differently from windows, windows tries to detect all partitions it can recognise while starting up, and labels them C: D: etc... in linux the partitions are not visible unless they are explicitly mounted from the /etc/fstab file.

ubuntu sucks for software installation... it uses deb files instead of rpms.[/b]

Thats a huge advantage, this means you can install the vast amount of debian packages in ubuntu, and also use a GUI like Synaptic to keep the whole system and software up to date.

blame me for i am dumb. i like gui installation for everything 🙂

thx ujjwal n sushubh 4 ur comments.Dialer installed.Now I go to the terminal...... type in "sifyconnect -l"It says welcome to sify bbusername:********password:N then it just shows the date.... no info nuthin!Firefox doesnt open nething.Actually the readme included in the client is a piece of sh*t. Firstly bad english and all spelling mistakes.They hve asked us to type $sifyconnect --login or $sifyconnect -lBut "$" already exists in the terminal. So i just type sifyconect -l.But that doesnt do the trick.Resolution prob has been partly fixed. After a long time..... some1 on the ubuntuforums told me to type dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg as root.So i did.... answered a couple of stupid questions.... then it went on to keyboard config so I closed the terminal.I restarted... but still cudnt get ne other resolution.I did it 4 like 6-7 times..... restarted.... still no result. Then suddenly... after sumtime I just decided to view the settings... n there it was 800x600.Got to 800x600 n refresh rate 85hz.But now theres no other refresh rate option... only 85... no 60. Does this affect performance. I thought I'd keep it 60 the same as in my XP. Also..... while XP gives option of 1024x768 ubuntu doesnt. Ill post the xorg.confN one last thing... if I login to my account frm windows n dont logout... then boot to ubuntu... will my net work??N ujjwal... which distro u think is perfect for ppl lik me.... cuz tho I'm a newbie... I do wanna learn.. sum1 told me that I shud try Linspire? Is it worth ... or shud I stick to ubuntu?

It worked... I logged in frm XP.. n nets workin in Ubuntu.But again.... same prblm.... resolutions back to 640x480.....PLEASE HELP!!Attaching xorg.conf

linspire is supposed to be VERY GOOD. i have seen suse and thinks it to be one of the best out there.

But all I find of Linspire is the LiveCD. I know that they were offering free copies of Linspire sumtime baq. But now the offers over..... can sumbody help me to obtain a copy of Five-o... don't post here... PM me.

use bittorrent... it should get u a legal free copy of linspire if their is one!

Got one frm THe Pirate Bay. Lets just hope it doesnt turn out to be a LiveCD.

which motherboard or graphic card you have? for me ubuntu always installs in 1280 resolution and i have to actually reduce it to 1024. install proper graphic drivers and have a general tour at all places. People like us also have to still explore linux as its too heavy with lot of diffrent programs. Also all programs are suppose to run on all distro on a test basis. There is no software/driver built just for one particular distro so experimenting is just required. Let me know yr hardware details and we make make yr resolution to 1024 and mount your ntfs partition.

just downloaded an official torrent link from linspire site. would try that before novell launches suse10 😀

Ill try the LiveCD frm the official site also.n boygr8 this is my graphic card:Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device.I got an i810It does recognise the card properly... but still.Now suddenly again I'm getting higher resolution upto 1024x768.But when I choose 1024x768... it goes mad..... screen goes outta site... i hve to lik "scroll" up, down, left n rite to view the full screen.There's a prob wit my monitor. it flickers... in WinXP its stopped.I got a refresh rate of 60Hz in XP. In Ubuntu... I get nuthin but 85Hz now.... altho earlier it was only 60Hz.. n there wuz no flickering.Now it flickers from the left n the rite side...What the hell is wrong!!