how to get Static IP address

• Thread starter Thread starter kadiravann
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 69,146
@varkey sometimes i get good ping but other times i dont. I have noticed bad ping happens when i have specific gateways. So if i can get a static ip the issues created by some gateways which have shit routing can be resolved.

Upvote 0
But isn't the routing independent of the IP address you get? What do you mean by the gateway changing? For example, I get allocated IP addresses from multiple subnets, sometimes 27.0.x.x, then sometimes 117.215.x.x etc. But the gateway and routing is always the same. (Unless they make some changes upstream and I doubt it is at my immediate next hop)

How does it work for you? I am on FTTH.

Upvote 0
I've had static IP from BSNL in the past (several years ago now) for the exact same reason - to get good pings. Guess what happens when your "static IP" gets assigned from a gateway that's terrible? Now cannot even restart for a better gateway.

Screwed.

I hope that doesn't happen to you, my friend.

But isn't the routing independent of the IP address you get? What do you mean by the gateway changing? For example, I get allocated IP addresses from multiple subnets, sometimes 27.0.x.x, then sometimes 117.215.x.x etc. But the gateway and routing is always the same. (Unless they make some changes upstream and I doubt it is at my immediate next hop)

How does it work for you? I am on FTTH.

For ADSL, usually your gateway is the upstream address from the IP you get assigned. For example, 117.215.0.1 is the gateway for all addresses in 117.215.x.x range. If that gateway is bad, then getting a static under the same gateway is the worst case scenario.

Upvote 0
It was several years ago, I no longer have static but back then, the JTO/exchange folks didn't replace my static. Maybe now it is different.

Upvote 0
For ADSL, usually your gateway is the upstream address from the IP you get assigned. For example, 117.215.0.1 is the gateway for all addresses in 117.215.x.x range. If that gateway is bad, then getting a static under the same gateway is the worst case scenario.

Interesting, so for me on FTTH (I believe it still uses the same underlying infrastructure as ADSL for authentication etc (PPPoE)), I could get an IP addresses from any of 3 subnets (that's what I have noticed so far, there could be more), but my gateway ie the other end of the point to point link is always 27.0.252.1.

Perhaps in the case of ADSL (or it could be location wise too), there are multiple gateways in the pool? and you get assigned one randomly and each gateway as you have noticed routes randomly too. 🤣

Upvote 0
@utrebsto - If you are having so much delays and trouble in just getting static IP address assigned, just imagine the hurdles in getting the IP address changed in the future which would include convincing them why you'd need to get it changed. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0