• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 10,162
Status
Not open for further replies.

kishankh

ISP
BSNL
I received a call form BSNL guys yesterday about their IPTV service withe the following details
Purchase Plan
STB Cost = Rs. 3950/-
Installation Charges = Rs. 600/-
Rental Plan
Refundable Security Deposit = Rs. 1500/-
Installation Charges = Rs. 600/-
Monthly Rent of STB = Rs. 100/-

i was also informed that i will be receiving 20% off on internet and my total phone bill if i take up IPTV.I wanted to make sure if any one of you guys were offered the same...secondly i have 2 TV sets at home...i suppose i will be requiring an additional STB...any idea about the pricing for the second one....Thirdly how good is IPTV compared to DTV and other HD providers

iptv is quite good.. the clarity is way better compared to my cable connection.i wasn't offered any such offer.20% off is cool!!

20% off is only once they start charging you for the subscription i.e after they start providing 150 channels.....any idea about the setup and charges for the second TV set in the same premises.....

if internet is down, we wont be able to know what is happening around !! right ??here net is down once in a while. if it goes, it comes after a day or two !!will the internet speed will be more or speed is specially dedicated to that stb directly ???

i dont know what you mean by "what is happening around" .. there wont be any difference in your internet speed..Most iptv would work even if internet doesnt work.. it doesnt depend on the internet..

if internet is down, we wont be able to know what is happening around !! right ??

here net is down once in a while. if it goes, it comes after a day or two !!

will the internet speed will be more or speed is specially dedicated to that stb directly ???
If the net is down due to exchange/line problems - yes your IPTV wont work. But if the net is down you to other outages, then IPTV is not likely to be impacted.

i dont know what you mean by "what is happening around" .. there wont be any difference in your internet speed..Most iptv would work even if internet doesnt work.. it doesnt depend on the internet..

IP TV ->Name itself says so => Internet Protocol TV

so, if internet is down, how can the IP work ?? My place most of the time, exchange goes down (ofc cable cut/power outage) !!
So during that time, we wont be able to see internet or TV. that is what i said "We wont be knowing what is happening around, if we dont have internet".

If the net is down due to exchange/line problems - yes your IPTV wont work. But if the net is down you to other outages, then IPTV is not likely to be impacted.

True... !! here main issue is exchange problem... hardly comes authentication issues !! So it gets affected !!

and a question to pmadhan: do we get a hike in speed if we have opted for IPTV, or it is divided separately for IPTV ?

thanks

and a question to pmadhan: do we get a hike in speed if we have opted for IPTV, or it is divided separately for IPTV ?

I used to get a max of 1.7/1.8 mbps when it was only broadband and modem showed as much.

Now modem shows 6 mbps, accounting for the additional IPTV bandwidth, and sometimes I get internet speeds upto 2.9 / 3 mbps.

So, they try to divide it up, but looks like it's not accurately possible.

thank you pmadhan! i am on UL 750+, so it is unlimited. i think u r on 500 NU, so that u get up to 2mbps. anyways, am going to apply for it.. letz see what is going to happen !!

I used to get a max of 1.7/1.8 mbps when it was only broadband and modem showed as much.

Now modem shows 6 mbps, accounting for the additional IPTV bandwidth, and sometimes I get internet speeds upto 2.9 / 3 mbps.

So, they try to divide it up, but looks like it's not accurately possible.

Madhan good to see you here...

From what I know, they configure virtual circuits on your modem. Now internet/IPTV work on different VCs. And the bandwidth is controlled at VC level so even if your modem shows 6MBPS, you will not know how much it is configured for your internet VC. It is not like both of them share the whole 6 MBPS otherwise higher usage on either end would impact the other. I have 256kbps UL plan. I have never seen it exceed it. I have iptv from Sept 2007.

true ... (the sometimes 2.9/3.0 mbps is as shown in the BSNL Speed Test) - anyway as long as the bandwidth is not shared and we get good speeds :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.