Formula-1 News and Updates

Lewis Hamilton beat Fernando Alonso to the fastest time of the second practice session for the Singapore Grand Prix as Nico Rosberg missed out on a quick lap.
Read more at Lewis Hamilton Hamilton beats Fernando Alonso in FP2 for the Singapore Grand Prix | Singapore Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

The FIA has revised its restrictions on the use of team radio in order to give teams the freedom to discuss car performance.

In an attempt to put the onus back on the drivers, the FIA planned to ban all team radio relating to driver and car performance. However, after meetings with team managers on Thursday in Singapore the ban was slackened to allow conversations about car performance to take place, although a ban is expected next year.

Driver performance is still restricted, with messages on the following subjects still prohibited from the Singapore Grand Prix onwards.

Driving lines on the circuit
Contact with kerbs
Car set up parameters for specific corners
Comparative or absolute sector time detail of another driver
Speeds in corners compared to another driver
Gear selection compared with another driver
Gear selection in general
Braking points
Rate of braking compared to another driver
Rate of braking or application of brakes in general
Car stability under braking.
Throttle application in general
Throttle application compared to another driver
Use of DRS compared with another driver
Use of any overtake button
Driving technique in general

Read more at FIA revises team radio ban | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Kimi Raikkonen: “Overall this was a positive day, even if, as usual, there is room for improvement. In the first session we concentrated on looking at different set-up solutions and on my first set of Soft tyres I managed to do a good lap, then unfortunately some technical niggles prevented me from getting the most out of the second set. At the end of the session I had a problem with the brakes overheating, but the team managed to sort it out quickly and prepare the car for the second session. The changes we made to the set-up improved the handling of the car and with the Supersoft tyres there was plenty of grip.”