2012 Asia Cup

• Thread starter Thread starter ajuravi007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 362
  • Views Views 23,876
Virat Kohli is the vice captain. Not a good move.This guy is starting to do well, no need to give the extra burden as of now. Let him settle in the team, anyways he is being groomed to captain India in the future, but not so soon.

what exactly is the job of a vice captain? from what i understand, he is there to take on the captaincy if something happens to the captain.

It also means that he is being groomed for the captain's role in the future and slowly some responsibility is added.I dont know whats wrong with Gambhir being vice captain, he did good as a captain as well...Virat is 23, just starting to mature (less of MC, BC on the field), he needs to develop more as a player to get these duties...

Making Virat the vice-captain is a decent move - If & Only if - a) They want to sent a clear message to Gambhir, Raina - That they are dropped in rankings & need to do well to survive b) They are looking at someone talking over in the T20s in a year or so & for the World Cup in 2015... As Dhoni himself has not ruled skipping it ... Sehwag may not be there to make it & others also are not looking settled...

^ Well, it is a bit unfair on Gambhir as he hasn't performed that badly, he is the second highest run getter for India and 4th highest in the tournament, having played one match less than Kohli. He is the more mature of the two if it is a role of responsibility.

1 thing i wanted to highlight you is that in Yesterday's win Gambhir played a vital part... and we forgot him on our win...giving more space to Kohli...

Gambhir is the new Dravid. People forget to give him his due!
Please! Please don't compare each other. Dravid is a Legend.

Virat will be the captain in the future but I don't feel that it's the right time now to make him the vice captain. In Sehwag's absence (how many times does he sit out due to backspasms), Gambhir was the ideal choice to be the vice-captain.

Gambhir is 30, and I don't see Dhoni leading the side for long. The captaincy of the Indian team in ODIs will go like Dhoni -> Gambhir -> Kohli

I think its the right move - move for the future. He will be VC now so that he starts getting a hang of reaponsibilities, and may be eventually MS will be phased out. Kohli might be given T20 captaincy to begin with, then ODI and then tests.I dont see Gambhir playing good for more than 3-4 years from now. I may be wrong, but it wud be a gamble to make him the captain after MS.

Looking forward, he is the best player in the team. Making him vice captain and then a captain early will be disastrous. India needs better batsmen.We do know last time when the best player of the team was the captain...