2009 and we are still stuck on 256kbps for broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Raditz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 91
  • Views Views 29,108
Status
Not open for further replies.
- also known as Reliance (who own FLAG telecom), Tata (VSNL), who own both SeMeWe3 and SeMeWe4....

Just a small correction..SEA-ME-WE cables are owned by a consortium of telecom companies of which India telcos are members..thus they have part ownership..however Tata does own another global OFC n/w called Tyco Global Networks ..

If a customer wants to video call with his girlfriend all night, or share a 250 megabyte music video with her - and they're both using my ISP - that should be allowed because really the traffic wouldn't leave the network, and in my view, it would cost me more to restrict the speed (several hours of constant network usage versus a minute or 2).

This is the exact problem with our existing ISPs who are providing services using wimax.

They limit the download speed for their customers along with the download quota. They should allow the customers to download at maximum possible speeds that are permitted by their hardware, so that a customer can download his stuff and get off the network in as little time as possible and free the spectrum for use by another customer. If a customer is downloading a file in 1 hour on a 256 kbps wimax connection and locking a particular amount of spectrum for that duration, may be he will be able to download the same file in 2 minutes on a 5 mbps link and then free the spectrum for use by another customer for the rest of the time.

Limiting download speeds on wireless networks doesn't make any sense to me...but then there are a lot of things in our country that don't make any sense.

Commonsense is not exactly common among our existing ISPs.

yeap. not only slower speed packages add more load on the networks but they also adds up on power consumption 😀

Just a small correction..SEA-ME-WE cables are owned by a consortium of telecom companies of which India telcos are members..thus they have part ownership..however Tata does own another global OFC n/w called Tyco Global Networks ..

You're again partially right. It's the same with both, however if I am correct, I believe in both cases the SMW cables and FLAG were commissioned by Tata and Reliance respectively. I may be confusing myself there, though.

It just so happens though that, in order to get access to either of the SMW cables, one has to go through Tata, and to get access to FLAG, one has to go through Reliance. As such, as far as obtaining international bandwidth from India is concerned, we must, unfortunately, lease from Tata or Reliance.

This is the exact problem with our existing ISPs who are providing services using wimax.

They limit the download speed for their customers along with the download quota. They should allow the customers to download at maximum possible speeds that are permitted by their hardware, so that a customer can download his stuff and get off the network in as little time as possible and free the spectrum for use by another customer. If a customer is downloading a file in 1 hour on a 256 kbps wimax connection and locking a particular amount of spectrum for that duration, may be he will be able to download the same file in 2 minutes on a 5 mbps link and then free the spectrum for use by another customer for the rest of the time.

Limiting download speeds on wireless networks doesn't make any sense to me...but then there are a lot of things in our country that don't make any sense.

Commonsense is not exactly common among our existing ISPs.

Agreed, though I don't necessarily see a problem with creating different tariffs for different speed plans. When one limits the speed, the limits the potential data transfer per month is limited in turn - 1 Megabit can theoretically transfer about 256 GB in a month, 10 Megabits is of course pushing the 2.5TB mark.

Though, when you get up to speeds like this, data caps are (economically speaking), not entirely bad for the customer either: would you honestly pay 10x as much for a 10 Mbit connection as you would for a 1 Mbit connection? I think not.

I am hoping I've hit a sweet spot by offering the equivalent of 10 GB of data transfer per month per megabit purchase, which for most people is - I hope - enough, plus it is significantly better in most cases compared to whats currently on offer, and is also economically viable. As opposed to providing a 100 Mbit connection and placing a 30 Gbyte data cap on it. For Rs 10,500 (Here's looking at you Tata!)

Additionally, this is one more reason why I think in-network data transfer speed limits are silly. If my customers are using bit-torrent or whatever, I would very much hope that they're downloading from another of my customers, rather than using my international bandwidth, hence my argument of "maximum in-network speed, and data from outside my network is transferred at your subscription speed".

yeap. not only slower speed packages add more load on the networks but they also adds up on power consumption 😀

Someone who gets it 🙂 That sums up my last several posts rather well.

@kanishka will you please shut your trap?

if things go how you say, then we'll be getting 2 mbps unlimited only in the year 2015 or 2020. good thing you're not the telecoms minister or we would still be in the jurassic ages using 32 or 64kbps for 1000Rs a month.

think more practically. we are in 2009 like the rest of the world and not in 2000 or 2002. if the ISP's decide to give broadband speeds to us like in the US or European countries, they can, if they had thought like you we would'nt have 8mbps or even 2mbps.

our ISP's are just looting us and feeding us shit.

you better wear clothes made from leaves and go back and start living in the caves kanishka.

:rofl:
i agree :urock:

I am well aware of what ISPs in the UK and Europe offer - I have recently moved to India from Finland (and before that France).

As nice as such a scenario would be, there are several things preventing this for the immediate future:

1. Most content accessed in India is on US-based servers. As such, this places stress on our international links - which are not cheap. At a 1:50 contention ratio, just to cover the cost of a 155Mbps pipe (just short of USD33000/month), we would need to charge at least USD34/Rs1,700, and even then, in effect, this means 7750 users would be sharing a 155Mbps line.

If you wanted that at 1:30 (4650 users) or 1:8 (1240 users), you'd be looking at USD56/Rs2,800 and USD210/Rs10,500 respectively - and thats assuming no-one wanted to make any profit or pay salaries to workers, and doesn't count other things like license fees to the TRAI or infrastructure.

2. There is not much hosting done in India itself. Unlike the US, UK, Netherlands, Germany, Japan and Korea where there are significant amounts of locally hosted data and large data centers.

3. Even with locally hosted data, there is the issue of a little organization called NIXI, who currently have a formula whereby ISPs are charged at Rs 50 per gigabyte incoming (although outgoing subtracts Rs 50 per gigabyte from the bill, so effectively the end price is still about Rs 35 per gigabyte).

If I had as few as 1,000 customers downloading say only 80GB of traffic per month each through NIXI, I would have to pay 80000*50 or 40 lakhs per month, minus say 20GB of upload traffic (so minus 10 lakhs), I still have to pay 30 lakhs. 30 lakhs NOT including the 16.5 lakhs per month for a separate 155Mbps line equals 46.5 lakhs per month - so for 1000 customers, thats Rs 4,650 by itself.

Bad business, especially considering an 8Mbps connection has the potential to allow 2,000GB every month, and some people MIGHT abuse this.

4. In Europe, there are several other benefits available, mostly that the European equivalients of NIXI are far less expensive, as last time I checked, they don't get charged by the GB, and secondly buying international connectivity is cheaper due to distance. With the international cables here, you pay by the kilometer, so a link from Mumbai to Singapore works out at about USD400k per year.

Finland to Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany or UK, however, is significantly less than half the distance of a BOM-SIN route, therefore far less expensive to lease. All have very large data centers and internet exchanges, especially Amsterdam and London as well, which really helps.

My ISP will be offering an 8Mbps plan for an as-yet-unfinalized price, but it will be more than Rs2,500 - although we plan to allow 80GB of international downloads (and unlimited in-network), which we think is reasonable (I am looking for opinions on this - PM me).

Additionally, NIXI have told me that the price is being reduced, but by how much and when they have not mentioned.

very informative. thanks 🙂

I have Home500 plan. I would like to see it changed to 10GB limit instead of a mere 1.5GB along with the 2-8am free usage.
Or if anyone brings a plan similar or better🙂dance🙂 i would happily change. but it would be a waste if it had numerous disconnections like in BSNL.

https://www.speedtest.net

I have Home500 plan. I would like to see it changed to 10GB limit instead of a mere 1.5GB along with the 2-8am free usage.
Or if anyone brings a plan similar or better🙂dance🙂 i would happily change. but it would be a waste if it had numerous disconnections like in BSNL.

I assume Home500 is Rs 500/month, "up to" 2Mbits, 2.5GB limit (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.)

This seems like an attractive plan, but personally I could eat that up with email and leaving my IM clients online without difficulty. Not to mention software updates!

I can be certain that we won't have any of this "night unlimited" rubbish. You all might think you're getting a "good deal" because you're "not paying" for those 12 hours that you can't access the net... but I'm afraid I just can't wrap my head around it.

I would guess the net is so heavily used by everyone on these plans that the experience is horrible, anyway, so whats the point? If anyone has any insight on this, please do tell: maybe it's a power (electricity) thing? Is it cheaper at night? I know my net traffic costs me the same at night, so...

I can tell you this though: unlimited traffic within the network, maximum speed within the network (your speed plan only comes in to effect at our network border), and if we do unlimited speed plans, we're thinking of a simple (pre-paid?) top-up system whereby users buy say 10GB or 100GB at a time.

Also, we plan to cache a lot of things, such as software updates, so we would effectively have a mirror of (for example) Windows Update - meaning the updates are fast and don't cost you - the users - anything (as in, Windows Updates don't count towards your bandwidth quota). Similarly with Linux distros: plan to mirror the top 20 as per Distrowatch.

More news for those watching us though, latest developments might allow us to go live nationwide right from the get go, meaning that hopefully our new services might benefit users outside of Mumbai/NM/Thane. Will keep everyone updated.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Please PM me.

Also, we plan to cache a lot of things, such as software updates, so we would effectively have a mirror of (for example) Windows Update - meaning the updates are fast and don't cost you - the users - anything (as in, Windows Updates don't count towards your bandwidth quota). Similarly with Linux distros: plan to mirror the top 20 as per Distrowatch.

And I would be very surprised if other major ISPs in India are not already doing the same.

More news for those watching us though, latest developments might allow us to go live nationwide right from the get go, meaning that hopefully our new services might benefit users outside of Mumbai/NM/Thane. Will keep everyone updated.

What will be the mode of broadband delivery - ftth, dsl ?

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Please PM me.

If you are going to be doing DSL then I have some suggestions.

----------

Please ignore the question above - I managed to get the answer from your website.

----------

Reg. Hayai Lightspeed - why 3, 12 and 42Mbps *only* on Wimax? What if I was a user in a building to which you have FTTB but require no more than the 3Mbps plan? Just curious 🙂.

wow, i have not been following this thread lately, please start another thread specifically for hayai internet... and copy/move the relevant posts there! i almost missed out on this 🙂

hayai is japanese for "fast" heh (i looked it up).

@mgcarley, your thoughts are really what all operators and govt should learn and understand. i have signed up on hayai.in and entered the information you want for your research, wishing you all the best for these (should i say lofty dreams or) goals!

Words of caution though (no offence to you mgcarley) - this is either an exciting proposition or a really elaborate marketing/phishing/scam to get you excited then convince you to send out your information and money in the form of initial deposit for non-existent products. i certainly will NOT be one of the early adopters and certainly will not be the fool in the proverb "a fool and his money are soon parted" if you start asking for initial deposits heh 😀

now that we got it out of the way, this could really be a david vs. goliath story... :irock: hayai vs. all the greedy operators and moronic govt officials.

----------

btw i got the following error while signing up but looks like the signup has worked fine...

Code:
    * warning: array_keys() [function.array-keys]: The first argument should be an array in /home/.cyber/hostenz/drupal5/modules/user/user.module on line 378.    * warning: array_fill() [function.array-fill]: Number of elements must be positive in /home/.cyber/hostenz/drupal5/modules/user/user.module on line 379.    * warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/.cyber/hostenz/drupal5/modules/user/user.module on line 379.    * user warning: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1 query: SELECT DISTINCT(p.perm) FROM role r INNER JOIN permission p ON p.rid = r.rid WHERE r.rid IN () in /home/.cyber/hostenz/drupal5/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 174.

no it was on the hayai.in site 🙂

I assume Home500 is Rs 500/month, \"up to\" 2Mbits, 2.5GB limit (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.)

This seems like an attractive plan, but personally I could eat that up with email and leaving my IM clients online without difficulty. Not to mention software updates!

I can be certain that we won't have any of this \"night unlimited\" rubbish. You all might think you're getting a \"good deal\" because you're \"not paying\" for those 12 hours that you can't access the net... but I'm afraid I just can't wrap my head around it.

I would guess the net is so heavily used by everyone on these plans that the experience is horrible, anyway, so whats the point? If anyone has any insight on this, please do tell: maybe it's a power (electricity) thing? Is it cheaper at night? I know my net traffic costs me the same at night, so...

I can tell you this though: unlimited traffic within the network, maximum speed within the network (your speed plan only comes in to effect at our network border), and if we do unlimited speed plans, we're thinking of a simple (pre-paid?) top-up system whereby users buy say 10GB or 100GB at a time.

for me its 1.5GB limit not 2.5GB and i agree its just too low. the night 2-8 free i most often dont used. even when i use its only at 6 in the morning, its tiring to get up so early in the morning.

i thought about the Airtel plan- 2Mbps, 15GB limit with no free usage time but the amount Rs1200 is a bit high for that plan.

For each Megabit, you can download 10 gigabytes - so someone with an 8 Megabit connection would have a limit of 80 Gigabytes. To make it an even sweeter deal, I'd be offering unlimited local transfers (that is, between customers of my provider) at whatever the maximum allowable speed of the backbone is (in most cases, speeds would be limited to 100 Megabits either by Ethernet or the Cabling itself - most peoples GigE cards might offer them up to 400 or so, but thats about the limit of most copper wiring when you take in to account the distance and repeaters and such).

this is a great plan, only the pricing remains to be seen. i probably wont need more than 20GB and i need the speed to be at least enough to watch youtube videos without having to wait for them to buffer.

so 2Mbps, 20GB limit with reasonable price would be a nice plan for me.

on second thought maybe 3Mbps, 30GB limit would be better.

Important for me is a plan which has a guaranteed fixed price with no risk of unexpected overcharges... meaning either a truly unlimited plan or a FUPed plan where the speed reduces after a generous download limit but the service continues and monthly rental remains a fixed amount. this is avoid hassles of billing errors and disputes.

To start off I'd like to see a 2 mbps UL (or 100GB FUP with speed reduced to half is acceptable to me)... for under Rs 3k per month...

Can you achieve that mgcarley? (or any ISP for that matter dammit!) airtel is already doing 2mbps UL (with FUP for some users) so you can shoot for better...

(of course you would still offer "free" UL downloads for internal data transfers)

the most brilliant idea (which we've been crying for many years now) is the mirroring of microsoft/windows servers and other linux distros and open source software (and whatever else you can manage) so that downloading them is FREE of the data caps! 😀 that would really excite me the most...

also, getting into a dialog with NIXI to enable better/faster/cheaper peering between operators would make broadband faster and cheaper in general too...

----------

btw, mgcarley, please also post your thoughts and website link on other forums like techenclave.com - i hope admin doesn't mind me mentioning them here 😀

And I would be very surprised if other major ISPs in India are not already doing the same.

For normal HTTP browsing, that's a given. I'm talking about full-on mirroring of software repositories, such as the ones mentioned so that 1. Downloads are faster and 2. Downloads from these repositories don't count towards the monthly quota.

What will be the mode of broadband delivery - ftth, dsl ?

----------

Please ignore the question above - I managed to get the answer from your website.

----------

Yeah that's in a sorry state right now. Newer prettier one I'm told should be out within a week or so. As I mentioned to one person in an email response last night, we don't think the existing cable/phone networks can support the kind of bandwidth and applications we wish to serve. As such, we have to build our own. An arduous task, perhaps, but the response from people like you guys has been such that we are increasingly confident. Even your government is directly interested in this (hopefully they don't ruin it!)

Reg. Hayai Lightspeed - why 3, 12 and 42Mbps *only* on Wimax? What if I was a user in a building to which you have FTTB but require no more than the 3Mbps plan? Just curious 🙂.

FTTB - FTTH doesn't make much sense because of the population density and works out to be roughly the same at the end of the day.

Wimax is considered to be more of a backup option in areas where we have not yet/can not lay fibre for whatever reason. We will be discouraging it in areas that are served by wired solutions in favour of a wired solution OR a properly mobile option using our own dedicated data-only 3G-like network.

In any case, if you only require a "small" (eg 3Mbit) connection, then that's all you get, but, that 3Mbits "limit" only comes in to effect at *our* gateways to the world, rather than on each individual line. The main reason for this is to allow sharing of content within our network to be done at maximum speed, reducing network congestion.

As a result, you should be able to transfer a 700MB file in about 1½ minutes, rather than 30 minutes at 3Mbits - without the *need* for DC++ in order for it to work - just transferring files between friends over Skype or Yahoo or whatever will work at full speed if you're both our customers. For those of you on Slashdot, if I say something about "a truckload of DVDs", you'll probably understand what's driving me here.

That said, however, we are toying with the possibility of having some plans which simply remove all speed tiers altogether, and you just pay for what you use as far as data is concerned (and not at 60 paise per MB, that's just ridiculous) - we're thinking more like 20GB for Rs1000 or something like that. Maybe we'll use this type of option for pre-paid customers: I can't say for sure as we're continually adjusting the variables which will determine our final MRP.

By the way, if the possibility of only 20GB of data scares you, fear not: like with our own software repositories, sharing files within the network also doesn't count towards quotas, whether it's streaming audio/video or just a big chunk of data as mentioned earlier.

It also means if you're a heavy bit-torrent user like I am, that, for the most part, if someone else has already downloaded whatever you are downloading and they're seeding, then probably only 10-20% of that file will actually count towards your quota - the other 80% will come from the guy who had just downloaded it.

My last word on this is that I'm relatively sure that as time goes on, the novelty of saturating your 24 or 50 or 100mbits connection constantly does wear off somewhat - I say this from personal experience - and now having many terabytes of USB hard drives sitting in my closet (though much of that may have been in preparation for coming here) - put simply, it becomes difficult to actually acquire content fast enough to keep the connection saturated. Believe me, I tried!

for me its 1.5GB limit not 2.5GB and i agree its just too low. the night 2-8 free i most often dont used. even when i use its only at 6 in the morning, its tiring to get up so early in the morning.

Agreed. I had often wondered why ISPs bother with this sort of arrangement. It seems to be little more than a lure.

i thought about the Airtel plan- 2Mbps, 15GB limit with no free usage time but the amount Rs1200 is a bit high for that plan.

Airtel does offer pretty good value for money by comparison with the other large ISPs, though I'm not sure that this particular plan is available in the Mumbai circle? I may be wrong here.

this is a great plan, only the pricing remains to be seen. i probably wont need more than 20GB and i need the speed to be at least enough to watch youtube videos without having to wait for them to buffer.

so 2Mbps, 20GB limit with reasonable price would be a nice plan for me.

This kind of application is certainly one of the things that we wish to provide a decent experience on.

What is your idea of a reasonable price for this plan? (just for my reference)

Important for me is a plan which has a guaranteed fixed price with no risk of unexpected overcharges... meaning either a truly unlimited plan or a FUPed plan where the speed reduces after a generous download limit but the service continues and monthly rental remains a fixed amount. this is avoid hassles of billing errors and disputes.

To start off I'd like to see a 2 mbps Unlimited (or 100GB Fair Usage Policy with speed reduced to half is acceptable to me)... for under Rs 3k per month...

I understand. Unfortunately, with more speed comes direct cost, in that for every gigabyte of transfer, on a VSNL standard line, we're looking at Rs 34 or thereabouts, not including our overheads. NIXI is Rs 50. These are things we have to take in to account. So a 2Mbps plan has the capacity to transfer over 500GB in a month - you do the math. This is one of the reasons that we wish to implement (unlike other ISPs) the bandwidth quotas ONLY on international or peering traffic: as mentioned in my previous post.

It is unfortunate that as far as international bandwidth is concerned, there are only 3 main providers competing - compared to over 30 each in the US and UK. This is our struggle, but we're really working on it. If I had $600m handy I'd just build my own cable - not that Tata, Reliance and Bharti are using theirs even close to capacity!

As also previously mentioned, we are considering the possibility of eliminating the *speed* caps on some plans altogether, so if you buy 100GB of data, you get that much usage as fast as it will go - not just at 2mbits or whatever, so for users like yourself, this may be a more favourable option, and it would be easier to bring the overall price down on a plan like this.

Can you achieve that mgcarley? (or any ISP for that matter dammit!) airtel is already doing 2mbps Unlimited (with Fair Usage Policy for some users) so you can shoot for better...

Airtel also own their international cable. We're not quite there yet, but all going well, I wouldn't rule it out. The question is, though, is Airtels 2Mbits plan any good? Having not experienced it myself, for all I know it could be complete rubbish and you might only get 1mbps - or less. Or it could be completely fine and because they have an STM-64 (nearly 10Gbits) or two, their wholesale price of bandwidth is lower than what mine is - at least to begin with.

As far as I am aware, the 100GB fair usage policy applies to all users who actually hit that limit. I am open to the same sort of thing on some of our lower plans (8Mbits or less). I'm not a fan of over-use charges either, and I loathe the fact that we have to even have bandwidth caps, but alas.

Perhaps what we could do is set the bandwidth quota to be hard: that is, if you buy a plan with 10GB, once you hit like 98% of 10GB, when you browse to a webpage, you get a warning telling you you're about to go over with the option to purchase more data at a set rate, and when you hit 100%, all browsing takes you to such a screen, and all downloads are stopped.

This way, instead of worrying about things when your bill arrives, the situation is thus prevented of customers complaining "oh bugger, I've used 430.2mb more than my allowance, which cost me an extra Rs 258".

(of course you would still offer "free" Unlimited downloads for internal data transfers)

the most brilliant idea (which we've been crying for many years now) is the mirroring of microsoft/windows servers and other linux distros and open source software (and whatever else you can manage) so that downloading them is FREE of the data caps! 😀 that would really excite me the most...

Glad to hear it. Looks like something that will definitely be put in to effect from day 1. We may end up having the equivalent of Tucows India or download.com India, and also something like iTunes for "Indian" content - high quality digital versions of Indian music and movies (which would cost a few rupees, of course, but again, would not affect your quota) - but I think that is a whole different project in itself, and would probably come after launch.

also, getting into a dialog with NIXI to enable better/faster/cheaper peering between operators would make broadband faster and cheaper in general too...

In a continuous dialog with NIXI - they tell me the price is being lowered "soon". But to what and when this will happen they have not revealed to me. I'm also in talks with CDNs around the world, incuding (but not limited to) Akamai, and we have an entire rack reserved for their servers when they're ready to give them to us.

btw, mgcarley, please also post your thoughts and website link on other forums like techenclave.com - i hope admin doesn't mind me mentioning them here 😀

I do also post at the other India Broadband forum (run by the same admin, I think?) and TechArena. And Twitter. I hope to also be giving a talk to ILUG in Mumbai in the not-too-distant, but it's not confirmed yet.

Airtel does offer pretty good value for money by comparison with the other large ISPs, though I'm not sure that this particular plan is available in the Mumbai circle? I may be wrong here.

i dont know about Mumbai but in Chennai it's available.

What is your idea of a reasonable price for this plan? (just for my reference)

For 2Mbps, 20GB limit-Rs1000 or less. is this reasonable for u?

Status
Not open for further replies.