• Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 2,862

patch

Regular
ISP
youtele
BSNL will offer broadband at 2 mbps: Maran

Source: IRIS (15 December 2006)
State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam (BSNL) will offer broadband services with speed of up to 2 megabits a second to all its existing subscribers who were till now getting 256 kilobits per second (kbps) connection, Communication and IT Minister, Dayanidhi Maran said today.

Also, subscribers will not be charged for migrating to the high-speed broadband access nor will they have to change their consumer premise equipment.

Announcing the move, Maran said, `We are christening the year 2007 as the Year of Broadband in India and it is now for the private operators to match it or beat it.`

Speaking at the inaugural session of India Telecom 2006, Maran said fresh investment commitments of about USD 2 billion (about Rs 90 billion) from telecom equipment providers was expected in the next one year for setting up manufacturing units in the country.

He said the entry of Nokia into manufacturing followed by Flextronics, Motorola and a whole lot of others has laid the platform for positioning India as a global hub for telecom manufacturing.

Since May 2004, India has already witnessed investment commitments of over USD 17 billion in IT and telecom.

link to article?do they mean 2mbps at 199rs?

ok, i think this is the 4th post on the topic 🙂lots of enthusiasm

^^^ like Mtnl unlimited plan hopes busted for mumbaikars 😛It seem they have lost interest in BB :lol:

256=2Mbps, cool.....I am on 512Kbps, will I get 4Mbps, wowwwwwwwwww.... 😛 😛, I am day dreaming!!!!

He is a politician,saying too much,but giving little (ok,it might be a relief from our current situation,but its till apprx 4 times behind the world)...

QUOTE(GSV13 @ Dec 16 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]71055[/snapback]
^^^
like Mtnl unlimited plan hopes busted for mumbaikars 😛
It seem they have lost interest in BB :lol:
[/b]

Aata hai aata hai! Har kutte ka din aata hai! 😛 Hamara bhi din aayega!

QUOTE(leomax @ Dec 16 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]71058[/snapback]
He is a politician,saying too much,but giving little (ok,it might be a relief from our current situation,but its till apprx 4 times behind the world)...
[/b]

Something is better than nothing yaar, imagine we currently are on 256 (me on 512 😛 ) and we will get 2Mbps+.... 🙂

I still know people who use dial up connections.... 😱

I think i was a bit too hard.Yes,2M is much better than 256k.The point is,they are responsible for us to remain still in 'k'.They are the one's who imposed limits on us for a long time and very high tariff which couldnt help penetration among masses.We might get 8M in 2009 or so,while a lot of world already have >8 now.

As for International Private Leased Circuit (IPLC) tariffs, effective from July 1, 2006, the E1 (2M bps) for ISPs will be $3,000 instead of $3,950 whereas for call centers it would be $2,400 instead of $3,500.

Similarly, for DS3 (45 M bps) ISPs will pay $39,000 instead of $67,150 and call centers will be charged $31,200 instead of $57,150.

The STM 1 (155 M bps) rate will be $84,000 and $67,200 for ISPs and call centers respectively.

From January 1, 2007 the tariffs for Voiced Data Services have been merged and will go down further to $2,400, $28,800 and $67,200 for E1, DS3 & STM1 respectively.

Similarly data & voice services rates of Internet Protocol (IP) had also been reduced significantly. For Data Services IP rates for ISPs and call centers will be reduced in two phases.

From July 1 E1 rates will be $1,400 instead of $2,000, DS3 will be $22,400 instead of $31,348 and STM 1 will be $43,400 instead of $76,000. Tariff will be revised from January 1, 2007 and E1 will come to $1,200, DS 3 to $16,800 and STM 1 to $37,200.

http://telecompk.wordpress.com/2006/09/27/...andwidth-rates/
=====================================================

So pls. wait not upto Jan, but some months....

why any private company dont announce increase in bandwidth ??????

yeh indian gov. hai, takes time........ 🤔

patch, aren't those numbers for pakistan? anyhows, i cant wait for the day i'll get affordable unlimited 1 mbps internet !

QUOTE(patch @ Dec 18 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]71163[/snapback]

why any private company dont announce increase in bandwidth ??????

yeh indian gov. hai, takes time........ 🤔
[/b]

Some people think the whole world revolves around them and that other people are just here to do nothing.I agree that people like us are crying for better speeds and unlimited downloads but you can't just ignore the fact that internet penetration till date has been really poor. It's all a demand - supply thing. Once the demand goes up i.e users start increasing they will be forced to buy bandwidth for the same. I have already said this before but people like us are still in a minority and it would make no sense to start offering unlimited download packages for a small section when they clearly have other important issues to take care of.

BSNL has already started to offer unlimited 256 k but i'm really interested to know the number of users who have taken that package. I'm sure that number must be a lot lower and i won't be surprised coz for the majority of households anything upper than 300 Rs is a major stumbling block when it comes to availing such services.Ranting about such issues on the forum is not enough. What is required that users collectively approach the concerned isp and communicate your needs to them. For that to happen it is important to have an customer - isp interaction on the active level.

Also what we lack is isps having guts who can come out with schemes which can really make people sit and think about it seriously. For me BSNL/Mtnl has taken a very bold step and i can only see a positive outcome out of this. What's important is that the government realizes that broadband connectivity is very crucial to the growth of the country and steps are being taken to achieve it. At the end of 2007 i believe that things will be a lot better and users are like us will be quite happy with the scenario.

Will the 2MB connection be unlimited downloads cause otherwise I am not shifting.

Not published on site, yet.

scan from Rajasthan Patrika with the news.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8829/dataoneplanscb1.jpg

also i cant see my state site.

http://gujarat.bsnl.co.in/ from two days....

did anybody try to contact broadband officers ? try to get final conclusion...