• Thread starter Thread starter coolbuddy_79
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 86
  • Views Views 14,733
hi

Please note that, from unknown source I got following Info,

MTNL is testing to give 2 Mbps for NU Plan on Day Time [Not Free Hours]

For example between 8am to 11:59pm

They are testing the mechanism automatically downgrade the speed at Midnight.

But Usually it requires to terminate the session and they are afraid of getting pool of complaints if they automatically terminated the session as those who would be doing something serious suffer.

Like Shopping Online and a payment gateway transaction is going on.
Your Email in mid of being transmitted.
Downloading something.
Online Banking.

All those cases where your IP is made part of the session with server to identify you.

If any you could give reasonable solution to this implementation problem, It wouldnt take long for MTNL to give 2 Mbps during DayTime. Why should they have a problem if you are paying them for premium speed you get. Like on Volume based plans.

One solution to ask user restart the modem at home. at 12:00pm or after,this will be helping them, to restart the session at new speed say 256 kbps in night after mid night till morning.

And if user doesnt restart the mode or terminate session he will continue to be on Higher Speed of 2 Mbps thought night hence Paying for what he otherwise wanted to be free.

This is bound to create Billing Complaints.

but will continue through

Another idea is to have following rule,

If time [between 8am to 12:00]and you restarted the modem during [8am to 12:00]then Speed [2 Mbps] during [8am to 12:00]If time [between 8am to 12:00]and you DO NOT restarted the modem during [8am to 12:00]then Speed [256 Kbps] during [8am to 12:00]If time [between 12:00pm to 8:00am]and you restarted the modem during [12:00pm to 8:00am]then Speed [256 Kbps] during [12:00pm to 8:00am] but it is FREEIf time [between 12:00pm to 8:00am]and you DID NOT restarted the modem during [12:00pm to 8:00am]then Speed [2 Mbps] during [12:00pm to 8:00am] but it is NOT FREE
Probably they will offer another version NU plan

with two options user will agree to

1. Follow the rules above
2. MTNL server will automatically reboot your modem using Emailing to Your Router.

(Its nothing but http://yourip/rebootinfo.cgi]Though it asks for Password but it really doesnt as script on modems tiny HTTPD server is already executed before asking for Passowrd [A BUG].

You can reboot Modem of user provided you know his IP address. Hope they Will Fix it as it could be exploited by any one.

For example a Virus, A human being writes a small program to do this.

That will Put GET http://yourip/rebootinfo.cgi requests in loop over to whole range of MTNL Ip Addresses and they will keep rebooting.[/b]

Any comments please say ....

watever it seems like plain stupid idea to me...

y to take hassle of upgradin and downgradin ppl just for some pathetic speeed of 256k

as if they (MTNL) gonna choke due to heavy downlaods by nu ppl on 2mbps.. :lol:

First of all nearly no-one likes the idea of rebooting routers at 00:00 and 08:00 hrs.. (Simply reflects poor coding of software on MTNL's behalf)

and secondly if they cant provide mbps nu then they shud simple shud continue as it is and let broadband market stagnate due to their crappy ideas.

PS: M sorry if ya work for MTNL

Hi Sanke!I share the same sentiments and am no advocate for MTNL and in recent times have been having a war with them over getting my connection fixed. True that a typical govt organization would not care for what market suggest or consumers feel, but not for long. Gone are the days of monopoly. Sooner or later the void created by bad service providers would be filled by those who are really good.Consumer will remain king ...in new economy and the days is not far when any Govt. organisation will have face tough competition from private players or Even MNCs. Babu Raj will deteriorate their own roots. Keep writing !!

NOOOO!!!!! those MTNL ******** downgraded me back to 256k!!!!! 🙁 🙁 🙁n i hadnt even started using it!! i had been on 2mbps since january but because of exams i started using net just now. 🙁i think it has something to do with my bro. i had gotten upgraded to 2mbps when he had come in jan and now again when he has come, im downgraded to 256k.anyways it had to happen some day, it wouldn't have lasted long. i had 2mbps for almost 3 months, thats quite long.guess ill have to get used to 256k again. i still have a lot of downloading to do, wish it would have continued for some more days. 🙁:sob: :sob:

dudes!after a long search i finally got u ppl,enjoying MTNL's 2mbps glitche.i gt upgraded to mtnl's 2mbps in jan mid 4 exact 10 days.on my NU_590 plan i downloaded near abt 30gbs thn.nd ths tim i discovered my upgarde 3nites ago.nd its 6gbs as yet. last tim i used to download most of the stuff 4m rapidhsare.com using its VSNL server,assuming it to be the nearest server to download 4m and i gt max speed of 210KBps.bt ths tim i realized tht VSNL server has vainished nd max 100KBps.i read somwhere in ths post "configuring router 4 p2p usage".wats tht?how cn i t max speed at limewire nd link-removed. i think nt using my bandwidth is really a crime nt i dnt wanna commit tht.so plz reply u ppl out thr.tell me somthing to download.at max speeds.

actually after doin sume research.. it was found out that the VSNL server was German based and not Indian.. anyways.. who gives a sh** as its gone now :angry:

QUOTE(coolbuddy_79 @ Jan 8 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]73837[/snapback]
dwarka sec-7[/b]

hey coolbuddy, I am in the same area. Is there something whcih we need to do to get teh 2MBPS or MTnl is upgarding on its own.

Rgds.

dude!if it was german based?why the hell i was getting so much of speed on tt server only.i tried every other server they r slower even thn they were in jan wen i gt my 10 days HIGH.so is thr any trick of getting max speed on link-removed.com?and somwhere i read here on ths forum "wish tht link-removed allows to integrate download accelarator".here is a solution try IDmanager.intergrate it with IE7 nd it works 4 link-removed too.works 4 me atleast.

Why doesn't MTNL use the same mechanism as Airtel?? They don't have to reboot when their speed is upgraded at night. Also, I don't think the whole infrastructure MTNL has is different, because when I was upgraded to 2 Mbps, it was in realtime, I was on my router status page which automatically refreshed when my speed was upgraded.

QUOTE(harjeet @ Mar 26 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]84875[/snapback]
hey coolbuddy, I am in the same area. Is there something whcih we need to do to get teh 2MBPS or MTnl is upgarding on its own.

Rgds.[/b]

sadly, no... 🙁

i'm just waiting for them to change their policies...have tried all that could be done...they'll just shoo u away the moment they get to know that u're on some kind of unlimited...

haha Coolbuddy , i think u are right on Shoo away part , MTNL still i consider a better option then most of the ISP especially for Unlimited pack , i personally find one should be happy wit what all the speed they been getting , unless its below 256 Kb/s , i am sure there is no shortcuts to get 2 MBPS , ofcourse without paying the premium price , i found that most of the people consider ( i am not talking about ppl here but generally ) if page is opening fast is sufficient to be called good speed so i experienced in explaining Mtnl Engg how actually speed varies , anyways i hope more time i spend here maybe someday who knows i get some tweaks to actually increase the speed or exploring some relatives in Mtnl Hood might make my day ! 😛