1Gbit/s coming to Sweden, Finland in Autumn 2010

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 27,549

mgcarley

Founder, Hayai Broadband
ISP
India: FTTH, FTTB or 3G // NZ: VDSL // USA: FTTH or Cable (DOCSIS3)
Both services will cost about 99 EUR per month (Rs 6000 or so), and are fully unlimited.

Finland: 1000 megan hypernopeudella verkkoon!

Soneran hypernopea laajakaista 1000/100 Mbit/s tulee koteihin syksyllä 2010. Jos taloyhtiöösi on saatavilla Sonera Laajakaista Extra, niin myös sinulle voidaan toimittaa universumin nopein nettiyhteys. Soneran uusi liittymä on taatusti markkinoiden nopein, hintaan 99 €/kk.

Rough translation: Sonera's Hyperspeed Wired Internet 1000:100 Mbit/s (Download:upload speed) is coming to homes in Autumn 2010.

If your (best translated as "housing society") already has Sonera Broadband Extra, you will already be able to get the world's Fastest Internet Connection.

TeliaSonera's new offering is definitely the fastest, and at the price of just 99 EUR per month.

Sweden: Telia FiberLan - Bredband via n

Är din fastighet ansluten till vårt fibernät? Då kan du surfa med vårt mest kraftfulla bredband, upp till 100 Mbit/s, och snart upp till 1000 Mbit/s!

Nu bygger vi Sveriges snabbaste bredband för hemmet
Vi inleder nu arbetet med utbyggnaden av 1000 Mbit/s och du som är intresserad kan redan nu lämna en intresseanmälan.

500-1000/100 Mbit/s, vår snabbaste bredbandshastighet via fiberlan för hemmet! Titta på streamad film, hantera komplex grafik, lyssna på musik och ladda upp och ner stora mängder information. Allt utan att behöva vänta. Den här gången är det bara upp till dig och vad du vill göra. Och kanske framförallt, hur mycket du orkar göra.
Månadsavgift: 999 kr

Rough translation: Is your building connected to our fiber network? You can already surf with our Broadband up to 100 Mbps. Soon, up to 1000 Mbps will be available!

Now we are building Sweden's fastest broadband for the home. We will begin the process of expansion to 1000 Mbps, and interested parties can submit letters of interest.

500-1000/100 Mbps (download:upload) broadband speeds are available via "Telia FiberLan" for home! You can watch streaming movies, handle complex graphics, listen to music and to upload and download large amounts of information. All without having to wait.

Now it's just up to you and what you want to do - and perhaps most importantly, how much.

Monthly fee: 999 kroner (about 100EUR or Rs 6000-ish)

i so hope i was born in finland

i so hope i was born in finland

Yeah, but they have no privacy whatsoever. You can find out someones tax and income information by SMS, just by knowing their ID number (there is an algorithm which is basically birthday + 4 digits).

But the broadband and women are a lucrative reason to move there (if you like the cold). Was for me at the time, anyway 😉

Yeah, but they have no privacy whatsoever. You can find out someones tax and income information by SMS, just by knowing their ID number (there is an algorithm which is basically birthday + 4 digits).

But the broadband and women are a lucrative reason to move there (if you like the cold). Was for me at the time, anyway 😉

you don't think things like that will happen to india once it is developed

anyways it has some benfits too,so you can compromise

you don't think things like that will happen to india once it is developed

anyways it has some benfits too,so you can compromise

Yeah in some ways everything being integrated with everything else was a massive timesaver. Go to the post office, register your new address, and not only will your mail be forwarded, but your information will be updated in the national population register, so the addresses held by the banks, electricity, phone, loans - everything - gets updated all at once.

1 Gbps has been there in Hong Kong for the past 1.5 to 2 yrs offered by netvigator (PCCW)..though compared to these yet to be introduced plans the PCCW service now seems costly at $2188 HKD or 13000 INR/month..they do have a Fair Usage Policy but they rarely implement it..i have used the 30 Mbps service without any Fair Usage Policy being slapped on me.

1 Gbps has been there in Hong Kong for the past 1.5 to 2 yrs offered by netvigator (PCCW)..though compared to these yet to be introduced plans the PCCW service now seems costly at $2188 HKD or 13000 INR/month..they do have a Fair Usage Policy but they rarely implement it..i have used the 30 Mbps service without any Fair Usage Policy being slapped on me.

It's also in Singapore, South Korea and I think Japan too, the thing though is that the areas where this service is available in those countries has huge population densities (who can afford Broadband). Yes, India has high population density, but a high % of those people can't afford Broadband.

In addition, SIN, HKG and TYO are MAJOR points of presence for routes between Asia, North America and the South Pacific - pretty much all connectivity between these 3 continents is routed through one or more of these cities, so where India has roughly 7 cables and some 25Tbit/s (maybe more) of capacity in and out, these ones have like 30 and probably hundreds of Tbit/s.

Even then the prices in SIN, HKG and TYO are a bit higher than that of these services in Scandinavia (in fact about 100% higher), even though the population density is a much lower by comparison. Helsinki's whole metropolitan area (including Espoo and Vantaa) holds about 1/3 as many people as Pune (1.2 million or so).

What we can take from this is that, apart from providing services in the obvious places like Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata etc, it wouldn't be infeasible to supply cities with under 1 million people as well.

In fact we *may* be able to provide better quality of service in those cities than in Mumbai (hard to say in reality, but I'm guessing based on the likelihood that laying last-mile cabling in those cities will be vastly cheaper than it is in Mumbai).

well as far as HKG is concerned..now that 1 Gbps is becoming more readily available throughout the world..am sure they are gonna drastically cut the price of that 1 Gbps service.. netvigator 100 M service costs abt 3500 INR and 30 M abt 1536 INR..is it cheaper in Finland and in rest of scandinavia?AFAIK, PCCW controls most of HKG 's bandwidth..as far as i can remember.. they havent ever advertised as having Terabits of bandwidth to any continent (they did put up a network capacity chart on their website)..but i do concede that cities like HKG and Singapore are microcosms therefore its relatively easy to roll out any technology and make it accessible to the end user..specially when compared to behemoths like India

well as far as HKG is concerned..now that 1 Gbps is becoming more readily available throughout the world..am sure they are gonna drastically cut the price of that 1 Gbps service.. netvigator 100 M service costs abt 3500 INR and 30 M abt 1536 INR..is it cheaper in Finland and in rest of scandinavia?

In Finland 100Mbit/s is 55EUR which is about 3300INR.

AFAIK, PCCW controls most of HKG 's bandwidth..as far as i can remember.. they havent ever advertised as having Terabits of bandwidth to any continent (they did put up a network capacity chart on their website)..but i do concede that cities like HKG and Singapore are microcosms therefore its relatively easy to roll out any technology and make it accessible to the end user..specially when compared to behemoths like India

PCCW is a primary upstream supplier of Bandwidth to several countries, including Pakistan. They don't necessarily advertise what they have in their backend, but anyone can look at the submarine cable systems flowing in to and out of Hong Kong and realize that they're not exactly short of capacity.

They don't sell per # of STM-1 (155mbit/s) connections as Bharti, Reliance and Tata do. They sell (I'm guessing) per STM-64 (nearly 10Gbit/s), Having not purchased bandwidth from PCCW yet, I am only speculating.

Then also there is HKIX where all the major players connect. And peering in Hong Kong is much much cheaper... NIXI goes up to what... 6Gbit/s... HKIX we're looking at 100Gbit/s+ and the monthly peering fee is flat-rate. I can only dream of the day NIXI does this.
HKIX - Statistics

This is a little bit interesting: International Peering

Even then the prices in SIN, HKG and TYO are a bit higher than that of these services in Scandinavia (in fact about 100% higher), ...

In Finland 100Mbit/s is 55EUR which is about 3300INR.

So prices upto 100 Mbps are almost same..SE Asia isnt 100 % costly except of course the 1 Gbps service which was launched quite a while back .

Here's the graphic from PCCW i was talking about..they decide to advertise their capacity and inspite of having terabits of bandwidth they dont advertise it..doesnt make marketing sense to me..i know the ">" is there but still..

Netvigator

anyways whatever be the situation in HKG, Finland etc..what u are going to offer here is what is relevant..we are looking up to Hayai to set the benchmarks where-ever its available..hope the service rolls out soon enough

So prices upto 100 Mbps are almost same..SE Asia isnt 100 % costly except of course the 1 Gbps service which was launched quite a while back .

Here's the graphic from PCCW i was talking about..they decide to advertise their capacity and inspite of having terabits of bandwidth they dont advertise it..doesnt make marketing sense to me..i know the ">" is there but still..

Netvigator

anyways whatever be the situation in HKG, Finland etc..what u are going to offer here is what is relevant..we are looking up to Hayai to set the benchmarks where-ever its available..hope the service rolls out soon enough

Exactly. Just a pity *we* don't have 71Gbit/s to the USA yet (going by our current prices, that would cost several tens-of-crores per month - I won't say how many exactly, but it's over 30).

I'd be happy if we start to get 100mbps Unlimited (local) at decent prices.

How much is "decent"? We're doing 100mbit/s flat-rate for 9999+tax 🙂

Otherwise you could get 20Mbit/s for like Rs4999+tax and still have 100Mbit/s to 1Gbit/s to anywhere on our network.

How much is "decent"? We're doing 100mbit/s flat-rate for 9999+tax 🙂

Otherwise you could get 20Mbit/s for like Rs4999+tax and still have 100Mbit/s to 1Gbit/s to anywhere on our network.

That price is very competitive mgcarley. I'm sure other ISPs will feel the burn when u go full-0n with ur services.

I've said it before and Ill say it again, I'm a 0-day customer if u start services in my city.

That price is very competitive mgcarley. I'm sure other ISPs will feel the burn when u go full-0n with ur services.

I've said it before and Ill say it again, I'm a 0-day customer if u start services in my city.

Chandigarh has been on the map for a while. I had a foreigner friend living in your city and all he could get was GPRS.