Onspeed.com

• Thread starter Thread starter Jupiter
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,340

Jupiter

Has anyone heard of this Software on www.onspeed.com
Thats supposed to give faster downloads. There is a huge Ad in The Hindu ( i saw it in Chennai yesterday).

Wonder how they can give speeds more than what my connection can offer
Has anyone tested it yet ??

There is no demo version of the software in the site. I suppose its just similar to NetBooster which comes with System Mechanic (www.iolo.com) that can increaase the speed of your internet to some extent. 🙂

It just uses a proxy server to compress text and images so that your web-pages open faster.http://www.onspeed.com/us/find_out_more.php

But it can't compress executable files like movies, games, music files etc. etc. so you won't be able to use your connection to download faster where you actually want it. You'd just be able to open web-pages faster.

ONSPEED will not accelerate browsing over HTTPS (secure websites) or accelerate file downloads or uploads such as MP3, exes or streaming media content (over FTP or file sharing programs). In future, ONSPEED are looking to add these
features.[/b]
-- from http://www.onspeed.com/us/find_out_more.php

its absolutely useless. n on top of that they're charging money for it. I dont remember but there wuz once this free service of the same nature. I guess it was a research project or something. I dont remember though.I had a dialup connection back then n i used the proxy provided by them in IE. it didnt do nething.

Also, it could be a privacy risk. They are not governed by the same rules that ISPs are, so who knows what they do with ur data? Check the privacy statement very carefully.

Read the small print at the bottom which says that this is NOT a internet connection, but only a software which compress data. Who will pay 175 just to increase 2 KB. If you are really interested in speeds, then switch to BSNL 500 plan which has garanteed speeds of 256 and night unlimited downloads 2.00 - 8.00 for only 500 month. You dont have to use ANY additional compressors or any thing. Just plug in your Dataone cable to your machine, you are on the super fast internet.So far BSNL has top packages in India. Never go for sify or reliance. Not even in dial up. Use sancharnet cards which has free nights and free sundays. (Only dial up charges during night and sundays)

Originally posted by juhitoy@Sep 12 2005, 12:47 AM
Use sancharnet cards which has free nights and free sundays. (Only dial up charges during night and sundays)

You forgot to mention that during peak hours the pulse is 450 secs and off peak hours it is 900 secs per call unit.

I still maintain a sancharnet account for backup and have never used it since I got DIAS and now DataOne

Sandeep