DSL/ADSL

• Thread starter Thread starter srrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 7,594

srrao

Regular
Is Airtel broadband service based on DSL or ADSL.BSNL is ADSL so Upload is (as per my test) not exceeding 64kWhat about Airtel.I have both BSNL and Aritel.Sandeep

I think its DSL

If it is, then how do ppl get 256k uploads on a 256k line? Its supposed to be A-symettrical!

BSNL FAQ clearly states that BSNL is ADSLBut when it comes to Airtel nothing is clear.May be I will send a mail to cc.Sandeep

ADSL is cheaper than SDSL or Symmetric-DSL so it's mostly deployed for residential use everywhere because typical home users don't upload much unlike servers etc. So all DSLs to our homes are ADSLs by design. What I think is 256 kbps is too small a speed for an ADSL connection so some people get it anyway on their uploads too. If you had a 1Mbps ADSL then you wouldn't get 1 Mbps on upload, just on download 🙂.

Got reply from CCThey called up and when I asked they told me it was ADSL and for 256 I will get 64K and for 512 I will get 128 K. They used the word "ratio is 1:4"Sandeep

MTNL says it's ADSL but actually it's SDSL...just check ur sync rate and u'll know...the download gets synced at 288 kbps (which should be 256 kbps, but i think they just want their users to have the best) and the upload gets synced at 256 kbps... as much i know, Airtel is ADSL...and srrao has already clarified that 🙂

It can't be SDSL coz in actual fact, upload speeds on MTNL have never crossed the 128-150kbps mark for me. Might be different for u. Btw, just wanted a clarification. Does a 256k connection mean we can download at 256 and upload at the same speed(in ideal conditions) simultaneously? Or is it that the total bandwith is 256 both ways..

I guess they only assure of the download speed n upload speed is divided more than the download speeds! So it must be more luck to get good upload speeds!

in MTNL, u can download/upload at the same speed simultaneously...32 kBps up and 32 kBps down...when i leave my BitComet at unlimited speed for both up and down, my upload goes upto 40 kBps and sometimes even more...