DSL/ADSL

• Thread starter Thread starter srrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 7,603
Originally posted by pawanrh@Oct 3 2005, 02:19 AM
I guess they only assure of the download speed n upload speed is divided more than the download speeds! So it must be more luck to get good upload speeds!
[snapback]27110[/snapback]
[/quote]

i would say its the opposite....people hardly upload..so download is shared more than upload...

edit:mtnl is adsl only..their max upload speed is 512kbps....d/l goes upto 8mbps

Yeah that line is split into 32 ppl! Of which probably 3-4 are uplaoding *heavily* at a particular moment! So obviously if you are one of those uploaders you can get good speed! But that doesn't happen with downloads! Thats y i say The download is kinda assured

how is it split amongst 32 people..? i thought adsl speeds were shared at the CO (central office)...

Nope 1MBPs Line is not split or anything like local CTO's.speed is assigned from mtnl servers at exchange level.They must be havin huge line man, what 1 MBPS ?BTW connection is not shared like sify

both BSNL and AIRTEL are ADSL and DSL both. it is very expensive to afford symmetric dsl. even in the HOT zones of the planet, the best*est companies use ADSL. DSL IS always a shared connection, but shared only with a tier 2 pipe, not at the last-mile and not at the CO. if you ppl can upload at those speeds (25kBps tops) it means someone else at the local loop is taking a beating. if all connections were to upload and download to the fullest then you'll notice that you can upload at a lesser rate than you can download. when i asked the "techies" they claim that the ratio is 1:4, meaning you can up load at 1/4 the bandwidth of the download.

No. It means the bandwidth is shared among 4 users. I hope the download bandwidth is dedicated.

Right now i am getting same speeds up n down simultaneously when i use a torrent client with a private tracker same is the case when i use any other p2p program. Well if you ask me it's A-symmetrical 🙂. dunno if it's the same with other users of airtel on different plans.

Airtel is not a dsl company. I asked them this ages ago and they confirmed that their services are adsl only. So that's that.But I always thought airtel subscribers everywhere got symmetric upload and download speeds. So some of you guys have diminished upload speeds? Interesting. But just think of all the bandwidth airtel has if it can provide 256kbps upload on a 256kbps download line. Usually, only 1mbps lines get 256kbps upload bandwidth abroad.

the fact remains everyone gets 256K up and down. So its SDSL contrary to what Airtel says 😉

I agree with SiriusB, a friend if mine is australia has 2 mb down line with only 256k up