Down/Up Speed!

• Thread starter Thread starter srrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,445

srrao

Regular
Called up CC today.Asked what is the max upload speed. They told that together up+down is 256 for home 256. Also told me that always the up will be less than down.I asked i need more upload speed so if i shift to 512 will i get more upload speed and they told yes.I tried to find out upload speed with few online speed testing sites.Found that the max was 64 only.So for 512 will i get 128 upload?Anybody having info on this kindly share!Sandeep

yes sandeep, 64kbps is the max you'll get on a 256kbps.. theoritically you can get 128kbps on a 512kbps connection 😀

what BSNL has is ADSL where A stands for a-symetric. Which means the upload speed and download speeds are not 50:50. Since we mostly download and hardly upload, the download speed is kept at higher end. I get download speeds close to 256 some times. most times it hovers around 200-240kbps or 25-30KB/s. upload speed will be much lower.

Originally posted by sdh@Sep 9 2005, 03:53 PM
what BSNL has is ADSL where A stands for a-symetric.
[snapback]24538[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course DataOne is ADSL. What I wanted to know was the ratio or whatever the upload max is in numbers

I get download speeds close to 256 some times. most times it hovers around 200-240kbps or 25-30KB/s.
[/quote]

Mostly I get min 240-248 (90%) and at times even 40-42 Kbps (thats around 320!)
Now if they come to know this they will tune it not to happen. You know what happened with VoD service!

upload speed will be much lower.
[/quote]

Do you know the max in numbers?

Sandeep

for a 256kbps connection, i'd say the download limit (theoritically) is 32kBps and the upload limit is 25% of that i.e.: 8kBps

For ADSL connections, the upload / download speed are not related.

What they do, is assign a particular frequency domain for uploading and another frequency domain for downloading.

Hence, whenever you download and upload simultaneously ... the upload speed does not affect your download at all, unlike in Dial ups.

Due to the assumption that a normal user always downloads more than he uploads, hence for an ADSL connection, the download frequency domain will ALWAYS be higher than the upload frequency domain.

Mostly, in the ratio of 1:2

However, I have run tests, and on my 256 Kbps Home plan, I have uploaded at 12 kBps ... which adds up to 96 kbps ...

So, with a 512 kbps plan, you should probably get around 24 kBps ... ie 192 kbps ...

And, for SDSL ( Symmetric DSL ), I dont think the ratio is 50:50 ... it is 100:100
So, if you have a 256kbps plan, you can upload / download both at 256 kbps simultaneously ...

For more very easy to understand 'gyan' on DSL, head to :
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

Originally posted by saurabhj@Sep 10 2005, 12:02 AM
However, I have run tests, and on my 256 Kbps Home plan, I have uploaded at 12 kBps ... which adds up to 96 kbps ...

So, with a 512 kbps plan, you should probably get around 24 kBps ... ie 192 kbps ...

For more very easy to understand 'gyan' on DSL, head to :
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm
[snapback]24608[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's exactly what i wanted to know!

And thanks for the URL.

Sandeep

like when I used the VoD service I tried my upload speed it was 30kilobytes and the download speed was 230kilobytes. so i guess with a 512kilobits connection you will get a really slow upload speed... :blink:

Originally posted by webDEViL@Sep 10 2005, 08:46 AM
like when I used the VoD service

IS VoD working now. Was it not disabled?

yes, vod has been disabled for quite some days.. can one please tell what does the 10M at the bottom of the services page mean.. a 10mbps connection 😀

Hehe ...Now if only wishes were horses ... 😀And BTW, using BitTorrent, with VoD on, I was doing 45 - 60 Kbps uploads easily ...

Ya ...The ideal world would be with free internet ...But for now, a 12 - 8 everyday and Sundays free plan would be MORE than enough !!!Are any BSNL people reading this ???C'mon ... tonnes of bandwidth is just lying waste ... we could definitely put it to some use 😉