• Thread starter Thread starter oldtimer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 3,958

oldtimer

Geriatrix
ISP
bsnl 256kbps home 250 plan
Hi all, Its me again. We got a call today from bsnl asking about the config and os etc., in preperation for installing my new b/b line. However, I could not attend the call. Looks like BSNL prefers Winxp for the 256 kbps dsl. I have win98 on my machine, 192 mb ram, PIII 600Mhz, Intel 810 chipset. Should i upgrade in a hurry? oldtimer

it should work with any config better than win95 from what i know.

Thanks sushub, that means i can wait till i can get to talk to them personally and discuss this with the techie one to one. oldtimer

oldtimer, we meet again. i am running win98se so that should not be a problem. i dunno why `bsnl' is asking for details of the system when their engineer never bothers to look into the same. during installation at my place all that i was asked is whether i have an ethernet card or not (inbuilt in my mother board). even that query was taken with a bit of doubt and the engineer asked.. `saar (yes he pronounced that as saar) you do not have that extra card which is a must?' anyways i just connected the modem to the port (one should have seen his amazed face) told him to just load the software and it was running fine.. to satisfy him that there was no extra card (except a graphics card), i opened the side panel of the computer.. he looked af he had just seen the 8th wonder of the world.. that's `bsnl' tech help for you.

HI pupudada..i am having both win98 and winxp on my machine but i use internet on xp...there are a few points i would like to mention here..1.) To run broadband on WIN9X you need to install a software called PPPOE098.EXE (that can be downloaded from bsnl portal) to dial to BSNL Server.2.) After using the internet on WIN9X for some time it stops recieving data. although the computer can send the data. there is no incoming data.3.) There is hell lot of difference between the speed on WIN9X and WINXP. you wud be amazed to see the performance on XP it just too good compared to WIN9x.So I wud suggest oldtimer and others who are using WIN98 to upgrade OS to WINXP.

i too have widnows 98 SE and the connection just runs fine on my system. Reg the query placed by BSNL officails , the reason they do this is they know it how to run the connection on XP and no other OS.

I have win98se on 845mobo with p-4 2.4 GHz. The bsnl techie was not showing up to install as he was not sure if he could handle the installation! He was much relieved when he was assured that he need not handle that aspect.

Originally posted by Bluegene@Sep 1 2005, 10:54 PM
HI pupudada..i am having both win98 and winxp on my machine but i use internet on xp...
there are a few points i would like to mention here..

1.) To run broadband on WIN9X you need to install a software called PPPOE098.EXE (that can be downloaded from bsnl portal) to dial to BSNL Server.

2.) After using the internet on WIN9X for some time it stops recieving data. although the computer can send the data. there is no incoming data.

3.) There is hell lot of difference between the speed on WIN9X and WINXP. you wud be amazed to see the performance on XP it just too good compared to WIN9x.

So I wud suggest oldtimer and others who are using WIN98 to upgrade OS to WINXP.
[snapback]23854[/snapback]
[/quote]

1) hmmm... yes you do require pppoeo98 which is supplied by `bsnl' on a cd.

2) i use the net approximately 22 hours daily and have never faced any problems. during the free usage period i used to get a consistent 31-34kBps speed (speeds used to be lower (31) on http d/loads and higher (34) on ftp and some others on my downloads.

3) yes, if xp can give me consistent speeds of 38 to 40kBps i might consider migrating. hmm what performance?? ah yes, applications that are designed keeping in mind the structure of xp will no doubt run faster on the same. i can format the 2 partitions that i use, one for my o/s and the other for the other programmes (in case of virus attacks or other failure) and restore the same within 10-12 minutes (yes, i have heard of the restore feature of xp.. in certain cases even that goes useless) using my image file.

if there were enough software support for linux, i would have surely gone in for that, but xp.. i'd never touch that with a barge-pole. i'll wait for the gates to deliver any new o/s and then might change over if its better than xp

others need not follow me, this is just my personal opinion (and most of the time it is not true) 😛 Pupudada

That discussion gives me a good insight. Thanksbluegene, can you give me a link to bsnl's ppoe098.exe? pupudada, what software do you use to create and restore win98 c: drive images? where can i find it, in case it is a free download?oldtimer

Originally posted by oldtimer@Sep 2 2005, 06:13 PM
That discussion gives me a good insight. Thanks

bluegene, can you give me a link to bsnl's ppoe098.exe?

pupudada, what software do you use to create and restore win98 c: drive images?
where can i find it, in case it is a free download?
oldtimer
[snapback]23909[/snapback]
[/quote]

hey oldtimer, i use ghost by symantec for my images. for the pppoe.exe go to the following link... cheers... 🙂 Pupudada

Code:
http://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0NLRSSYGP45RW0ZJXFKSQZ7VSV

Hi,Dialling Software like PPPoE98 is not required for Win98. I have MT800 and MT880 Routers which have built-in Dialers. I presume the same with UTR 300/302 etc.I am using Broadband on PIII 866, 256 MB Ram, no issues. Rather surprised to hear BSNL asking about System Config & OS. Having set Router once, I am able to access from Win98, Win2KPro & Linux.Cheers

hello naharibabu, thanks a lot for your post. as i mentioned somewhere else in this forum.. am a newbie as long as software (i mean software development) and hardware (except for general tinketing) is concerned.. have no ideas about configuring the same.. any links on where i can study on how to configure the ut-300r2 modem/router? thanks in advance 🙂 pupudada

Originally posted by pupudada@Sep 2 2005, 08:09 PM
hey oldtimer, i use ghost by symantec for my images. for the pppoe.exe go to the following link... cheers... 🙂 Pupudada

Code:
http://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0NLRSSYGP45RW0ZJXFKSQZ7VSV
[snapback]23919[/snapback]

hi all,

pupudada, got the link and downloaded it. Thanks.
After a long battle(missing drivers and stuff), finally managed to install my ethernet card. As you rightly pointed out, there were no fireworks and the system is now buzzing along fine. (ty once again)

naraharibabu,

Dialling Software like PPPoE98 is not required for Win98. I have MT800 and MT880 Routers which have built-in Dialers. I presume the same with UTR 300/302 etc. [/b]
I was under the impression that with the pppoe protocol, the ethernet card in my machine would act like a modem and then the dialup networking in windows could be used to connect. Therefore, some driver has to be installed in my machine to do this. Maybe, the physical logging process is carried out by the modem, but AFAIK the lan card by itself is not capable of this. IMHO Some configuration has to be done in the machine. Maybe you can throw more light on this.

Hi Oldtimer,You are right. LAN Card is just a device that connects Computer to the LAN. It has no dialling abilities. BSNL is giving CPE (Consumer Premises Equipment) which is a Router & Modem rolled in to one. CPE has an inbuilt dialer, which does the job of connecting and disconnecting to Net. In plain Modems, dialling had to be done from OS dialer. Now with this CPE, one has option of dialing from OS or CPE itself. If one chooses to OS dialing, he has to install adsl dialers like PPPPoE98 OR use WinXP's inbuilt dialer. Otherwise, CPE's inbuilt dialer can be used. In any case OS never matters. It can be Win98, Win2K, Linux, WinXP. I have tried the first three OSs and always used CPE's inbuilt dialer.I think to use OS dialer, CPE dialer needs to be disabled. I am not sure about this.Hope you will find this info usefulCheers

Hi all,Naraharibabu, that was a detailed description.Thanks. I will pick up the threads from here and try to find some more info on the web, just for general education. However, please tell me how you get the cpe dialler to dial. Is there a button on the device or do you use an icon on the desktop? If there is an icon, then what do you install to get it? thanks once againoldtimer