Different info from different sources

• Thread starter Thread starter 404
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,584

ISP
ACT | Airtel, Jio
I had initiated the process to get a new Airtel connection through their website. Within 24 hours, a person checked feasibility and told that 40mbps is the max available in my area. Then another rep called to collect documents and I told him my particular requirement of unlimited data. He said he'll check if some custom plan is possible w/ 40mbps or 100mbps. Next day they've abruptly closed the lead stating no slot availability.

Here's whats confusing me. There are new Airtel V-Fiber boards around my area claiming 100mbps speeds. WhatsApp'd the number on it and he confirmed that 100mbps can be provided and it'll be a VDSL connection.

Whose word should I take as final? Is the local sales rep lying and my connection would be denied once I make payment?

@404 Last I checked (2 weeks back), only max 40 Mbps plans were available near my place (Opp side of Chaya Hospital)

@404 Note Down:

1. Airtel has limited connections available (slots) in an area and not many people know about this. (Like in my area, all the slots of Airtel are fully utilized so any new customer will get connection when the old customer disconnects it).

2. Airtel has multiple sales lead agents working within the same area and this might sometime create an issue for the new connection (confusion among the sales lead with their biased information to get the sale as early as possible).

3. It's upto 100Mbps. It's never 100Mbps.

So for example if you live near the Exchange (Small Server Room of your area), you will have the 100Mbps Plan. But if you live 500 Meters away from that, you will receive 40Mbps.

If you live 200 Meters away, you might get 75Mbps too.

So Airtel's VDSL depends upon how far you are from their server room in terms of wire-meters.

Contact Airtel on Twitter and tell them about this. They will escalate this faster.

Secondly, You can visit the Airtel Office (Not Airtel Store) in your area. Since at-least in Delhi, New Connection Installation is handled by the third-party (contractor).

Airtel's Twitter Support is upto mark.

@ajgamer I'm fine with 40mbps as confirmed by the feasibility test guy because he tested from my location. I emailed Airtel CC after ticket was closed and got a call in 30 mins and again heard the same thing about no availability for now. So do I take it as final and not pursue it more through the local sales rep? I'm guessing that's a yes.

@404 Last I checked (2 weeks back), only max 40 Mbps plans were available near my place (Opp side of Chaya Hospital)

Yeah, appears to be uniform in this area. No sign of FTTH as well. Only other option for me is Hathway now and they've always seemed fishy.

Contact Airtel on Twitter and tell them about this. They will escalate this faster.

Secondly, You can visit the Airtel Office (Not Airtel Store) in your area. Since at-least in Delhi, New Connection Installation is handled by the third-party (contractor).

Airtel's Twitter Support is upto mark.

Reactions: 404
@ajgamer @varkey It worked! Raised a complaint through twitter and it got escalated internally and in 2 days the connection is done. 40mbps is max in my area but I don't mind as its a backup connection.

PS: They have some really good broadband offers in the Airtel app but visible only AFTER you get a connection. They could've saved me months of headache if they had shown it on the website.

@ajgamer @varkey It worked! Raised a complaint through twitter and it got escalated internally and in 2 days the connection is done. 40mbps is max in my area but I don't mind as its a backup connection.

PS: They have some really good broadband offers in the Airtel app but visible only AFTER you get a connection. They could've saved me months of headache if they had shown it on the website.

I told you. 🙂

Funny thing is it disappeared the day after I opted for one of those super cheap plans.

I have this running right now
-- dead tinypic image removed --
This special plan was available in the app for 1299 but it showed no unlimited calling and speed was only 24 Mbps and this plan disappeared after an update came for the app.

@404 that's strange me too located in Bangalore but those plans are not visible for me. airtel app in my cell just shows same plans as in website. I'm currently in 999 plan with 300GB per month data