• Views Views 5,006

pothi

@127.0.0.1
ISP
BSNL - 3G
VI - LTE
Airtel - LTE/5G
Jio - 5G
Any recommendation for an ADSL modem with support for bridge mode?

I don't need or care about any wifi capabilities, as I have a dedicated router to fit my needs. Just looking for a modem with support for bridge mode.

Update: I don't mind purchasing a WiFi / router model, as long as it supports bridge mode.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
🤔 Pretty much all the ADSL modems these days come with bridge mode right? I think just get the cheapest available one. I took a quick look and it appears only WiFi models are available, so you'd just need to run it with WiFi disabled.

Pretty much all the ADSL modems these days come with bridge mode right?

No. For example, my favorite modem-router Netgear D1500 doesn't have bridge mode. Companies removes futures that most* consumers don't use and to reduce cost.

Of course, I don't mind purchasing a WiFi model and I can turn-off WiFi later. I already used the following modem-routers...

1. Belkin F7D2401 (very old model, no longer available in India). I still use it.
2. Beetel 777vr1 (not available for purchase, from what I know)
3. Huawei HG630 (seems to work only in VDSL mode or locked to Airtel network)

In all cases, wifi gets turned off automatically, when bridge mode is turned on.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Every modem I've used in the past did come with bridge mode.

Earlier there used to be many bare ADSL modems without WiFi, today I was surprised to see none available. I guess ADSL is slowly getting phased out.

Are you using BSNL or Airtel? If Airtel don't they provide the device too (or replace if the device is faulty? Or those too don't come with bridge mode?

I guess ADSL is slowly getting phased out.

True. But, as long as BSNL don't go out of business, ADSL would be available. Still a large amount of government offices in villages run on ADSL connection provided by BSNL. Replacing all of them with FTTH would take at least 5 years, if they start the work today. Even if Jio or some other private player buy FTTH business, it'd still take at least 3 years to reach every office in every village for last mile connectivity.

Are you using BSNL or Airtel?

This is for BSNL connection that I plan to get in the near future. Preparing to get the device/s ready before applying for BSNL that is usually provided in a week of applying.

6 months ago I had gone to Lamington road and to my surprise no one was selling adsl modems.
Only D-Link 2750u onwards were available.

What exactly you need to do in bridge mode? any specific stuff like open port problem or ipv6 related?
Most modems have bridge mode and you can get it in DSL 2750u router. Its n300 wifi capable as well.

I purchased LB link wifi adsl modem router from flipkart or Amazon dont remember. for some 700 rupees.

Only D-Link 2750u onwards were available.

Thank you. Dlink 2750u indeed supports bridge mode. Checked its user manual.

@varkey TD-W8961N supports bridge mode too. Thank you. I actually bought TD-W8961N a few months ago for my brother. However, it's not physically reachable by me as he lives in a remote hill station.

What exactly you need to do in bridge mode? any specific stuff like open port problem or ipv6 related?

To get public IP, using PPPoE, for the router (specifically for Mikrotik hap ac2). In this way, I can control all the devices via VPN. With NAT in place, controlling the connected devices is possible, but not easy. For example, when Mikrotik router is behind a NAT, I have to use port forwarding to get VPN working. For that, we need port forwarding feature. Even with port forwarding, things can mess-up at times. However, with bridge-mode turned on, it is easier to use VPN (among other uses).

If I understand you need to do a bridge from a router to D-Link 2750u using PPPOE?

I had tried this for my experiment of getting a public ipv6 for mtnl broadband but it never gave my ipv6 even by using same session of IPV4 option . I only got ipv4 public ip but have not tested for open ports.

It's basically to remove the NAT/PAT being done by the silly ADSL modem-cum-router and use his much better and feature-rich Mikrotik device as the primary router. There is no need to let the ADSL device do anything other that being a dumb modem. Plus the MikroTik gets constantly updated, you never know what all vulnerabilities exist on the ADSL device which gets a firmware update once or twice in a lifetime! 😉

I follow the same principle whenever possible.

^ But I believe it's not required for the simple-household usage?

Of course, I am using UBNT myself and long-before that I have been using Asus / TP-Link for this purpose.

I used them for the Ethernet Connectivity with Better WiFi.

Except: Load Balancers and UBNT is purchased to make better backup network.

^ Why not? Why do you want to introduce one more layer of NAT/PAT causing port-forwards and NAT traversal being done by p2p clients and others bit more troublesome (it would need to traverse two NAT layers, this is outside of what the ISP might be doing). This is doable, but I wouldn't recommend it and you can easily avoid it by just bridging it.

Or you need to use the wireless router as a dumb AP and use the ADSL device as the primary router which defeats the purpose of investing for a good router in the first place and will not be able to use the features available in the better router.

If I understand you need to do a bridge from a router to D-Link 2750u using PPPOE?

Kind of, yes. The router would act as PPPoE client. The server is in BSNL. The client has to authenticate with server in order to establish connection to internet. The server sends a public IP once the authentication is successful. Dlink 2750u would act only as a modem.

I haven't got a chance to try ipv6, as BSNL still uses only ipv4.

@pothi, Just curious. Why do you want Bridge Mode Modem?

@varkey explained it much better than what I'd have explained myself.

Anyway, I am basically a village guy. With the reduction in tariff in BSNL, I wanted to have two BSNL connections. One at home and another at my wife's place where I visit often these days. I don't want to take my whole PC setup when I visit the other village. Also, I want the other PC to get connected whenever I am at home, so that I can make use of computers and devices at both villages.

This kind of setup has been working well already between my home and my work place (which is far from my home). So, I've sent disconnection request at work. I was using Airtel at work. I can use wake-on-lan whenever I start my day and the work PC has auto-shutdown script to shut it off, if I forget to do so manually. I can control my connected devices too (a raspberry pi, a camera, etc) when I have VPN working. Without bridge mode, VPN is pain to setup. Wake-on-lan, VPN, email notifications, etc, all can be done using Mikrotik router that needs a NAT-free direct connection to internet in order to work without bugs.