Using VPN or Cloud VM to bypass CGNAT.

alphago

Regulars
Sep 24, 2018
Only DO Bangalore seems to have low latency and high throughput in India. You can choose Singapore server of Vultr. Hetzner has poor peering to India. I have never tested Linode's throughout though

Last edited:

alphago

Regulars
Sep 24, 2018
Sometimes I use SSH Forwarding when I don't have time to set up open vpn. So it is quick and easy. We can also forward ports using SSH tunnelling. There's an Encrypted connection between pc and the VM, and acts as a vpn too.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
@alphago True, DO seems the cheapest if you want good latency. AWS Mumbai is pretty good too, if you prepay or commit for a year you'd get a T3 Small for about 60 USD, but then bandwidth and storage would be extra. I tested the same the other day and I was getting great speeds, 200 Mbps + over WiFi.

Also Hetzner depends on the ISP, Airtel directly peers with Hetzner, direct hop out of Airtel is Hetzner.

@achaudhary997 Sure, will test today and let you know.

Reactions: achaudhary997

achaudhary997

[OP]
Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
Sometimes I use SSH Forwarding when I don't have time to set up open vpn. So it is quick and easy. We can also forward ports using SSH tunnelling. There's an Encrypted connection between pc and the VM, and acts as a vpn too.
I have used SSH tunnels but it's not something you can try for gaming because of the overhead it has and is pretty slow if low latency is required. Although this is the easiest to set up.:)

So from my calculations I am currently paying about 1k/month to get a public static ip with 50megs of speed (until I get Excitel fiber) and 1 tb worth of data/month. I dont think there is some other isp which will offer better solution than this. Considering my normal usage (without needing the public ip) is about 1.3-1.5 tb/month. This is the only reason stopping me from getting Airtel as their unlimited plan is close to 2k/month.

JB700

Apr 11, 2018
Does anyone know a good VPS Host in Delhi? I want to host a VPN Server to avoid bad ISP Routing, AWS, DO, Azure, Google Cloud don't have their main servers in Delhi. I want low latency.

varkey

Regulars
Jun 11, 2006
I have used SSH tunnels but it's not something you can try for gaming because of the overhead it has and is pretty slow if low latency is required. Although this is the easiest to set up.:)

So from my calculations I am currently paying about 1k/month to get a public static ip with 50megs of speed (until I get Excitel fiber) and 1 tb worth of data/month. I dont think there is some other isp which will offer better solution than this. Considering my normal usage (without needing the public ip) is about 1.3-1.5 tb/month. This is the only reason stopping me from getting Airtel as their unlimited plan is close to 2k/month.
Is the 1k/month including the DO droplet costs? Or are you referring to getting a static IP address from Excited? (Do they offer that?)

achaudhary997

[OP]
Regulars
Apr 15, 2018
1k per month including DO droplet cost. It is approx 600 ish for excitel 50mbps and another 5$ (350ish) for DO droplet. Sadly excitel does not offer static IP. Although I'll try to complain again and again saying my XBOX is not working and it is giving me NAT errors let's see what they do.

Reactions: varkey

undercover

Regulars
Mar 25, 2019
I have used ec2 instance free tier. Setup a vpn server and enjoy for a year. And setting up of VPN on ec2 is very easy.