• Thread starter Thread starter undercover
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 244
  • Views Views 31,673

undercover

I got banned!
ISP
JIO
I am observing from past few days that my upload speed seems to be throttled. Earlier I would get 95+ mbps upload speed while uploading to Google drive or if I was making parallel uploads. Now I am mostly getting upto 20mbps in uploads. And this should be a specific issue because, I have 2 Gigafiber connections and both are showing the same symptoms.
Even if I am running parallel uploads speeds are hardly going about 25mbps. Speed tests are deceiving with higher upload speeds on 85+mbps.

Anyone else facing this?

Nope ! All good here. I tried uploading a 6 gig file for 15 secs and the time estimation (11 mins) was in line with the 85-90 mbps avg speed that I get on Drive. The upload speed was fluctuating b/w 10.5 MB/s - 12.8 MB/s

Whats your location? Maybe its a localised issue. But their CC have no idea about the issue or how to fix it

Anybody else getting very low upload speed to Facebook and Youtube? I am getting just 4-5 mbps.

I did a few speed tests and found that upload speed is low to almost all overseas servers except those hosted with hosting providers like OVH ( Hosting providers peer with all big ISPs of every country so for obvious reason we get better upload/download speed from those speedtest servers).

Doesn't Jio have peering with Google and Facebook?

Check with MTR or similar tool/tracert to see the path taken, if its exiting the country to get to Facebook/Google, then it's most likely not peered.

Also just to confirm, do you mean 4-5 MBps or 4-5 mbps ?

Google is routed to Delhi server and Facebook is routed to their Mumbai server. I think uploads go to their central server at USA and then cached at the load balancers in different locations.

I am getting 4-5 mbps, not MBps

Looks like its using IPv6. I don't think it'll make much of a difference but IPv6 is usually routed differently from IPv4. Try disabling IPv6 in Windows Network Adapter settings and test it out.

Quite Possible Reasons:

1. Routing is messed up (but that should affect downloading too in most cases).
2. Network Congestion (Quite Possible since, ISPs in India are more concerned about Downloading and doesn't concern about Uploads).

It applies to Airtel, Hathway, DEN or any other ISP who are still in 20th Century.

Good Thing: You don't have to worry about it though if the issue is within the India itself because if it's commonly happening on all the servers (unlike one specific), a lot of consumers will complaint and eventually their Level 2 or Route Team will be notified (if they have any, their nodal team is unresponsive).

Anyone else noticed the reduction in the upload speeds now after moving to paid plans?

I don't have Jio but yes I have read that upload speed have been reduced to 1/10 of download speed.