ONT Suggestion - Current Device EchoLife:HG850a

• Thread starter Thread starter ChrisM
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 8,528
LCO don't know anything, current device is Huawei EchoLife HG850a.

Product Name: GPON Terminal (written behind device)

Please suggest so that I can return BSNL one and use my own. After buying, can anyone please help in configuring the new ONT? TIA

Do you need wifi also? Or do you have an existing device which can be used as a wireless AP/router?

If you don't need Wifi or phone, you could just get a basic ONT, something like these

You could then set it up as bridge and just connect it to your existing wireless router which would then act as your primary router.

If you need telephone support as well, there is the below one, it comes with wifi as well (I have the same model and I have the wifi disabled on it)

However the question is, do you really need the telephone port? You could use a soft client and connect to the VOIP account from your mobile phone too. That's what I do, even though I have an ONT with a telephone port (made the mistake of purchasing a higher priced model when I didn't really need it), as the soft client is more convenient.

@varkey no bro, I don't need the physical instrument. I just want to access the number in case we need it. Will you be able to guide on this, please? I hope the modem will work with my line.

Status page (Status > State > PONStatistic)

Netlink GPON ONT(1GE Secure ONT)(HG2801SG)

will work with this? Please help me move forward. Thanks.

Yeah in that case should be fine. Just get a basic ONT. What's the model of your TP-Link device?

Did you mean to share any statistics from your existing ONT? Can't see anything.

Ya I was initially worrying about buying a good gigabit router when I go 100+mbps. Now it seems like it will be more affordable just to get FTTH and buy your equipment. Distribution boxes there cost Rs.400, ONT is as cheap as Rs.1000. ISP try to charge so much for FTTH installation. I am wondering if I can get ACT to directly give me a FTTH instead of copper line directly to my house.

@ChrisM The TL-WR841N is a basic router, you could still get a basic ONT and use that as the primary NAT device and just use the TP-Link as a wireless AP. The VOIP soft phone approach wouldn't work in that case as you'd need OpenWRT or some other customisable firmware on it.

In that case you could go for the Netlink HG323RGW, its just 700+tax more, you get Wifi and the telephone ports to use if needed.
The Netlink supports both GPON & EPON OLTs so that shouldn't be an issue.

@netseeker I would say its a personal preference, I wouldn't prefer to have the cheap chinese ONT devices as my primary router. In my case I have bridged them and kept my OpenWRT device as the primary.

You never know what all vulnerabilities etc exist on these Chinese devices. Also, even though it has a Gigabit port, NAT performance need not be that great.

So I would still invest in a proper router and use it as primary. 😉

^ I think so, its the website of the distributor in India (they buy from China, rebrand it and sell it here in India)

Please note that, you would not be able to just plug the new router (make the necessary config changes) and expect it to work, there are changes needed from BSNLs side as well, so that also would need to be co-ordinated.

BSNL for sure has MAC binding ie the PPPoE authentication is allowed only from the registered MAC address of the device. You would need to get that reset for your new device to work.

@varkey no bro, I don't need the physical instrument. I just want to access the number in case we need it. Will you be able to guide on this, please? I hope the modem will work with my line.

Status page (Status > State > PONStatistic)

Netlink GPON ONT(1GE Secure ONT)(HG2801SG)

will work with this? Please help me move forward. Thanks.
Will this work with BSNL FTTH?