Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Source

so this malware has reached tata sky as well.
i went through the channel list on my tata sky backend.
namo tv does not seem to exist.

another question worth asking here. can tata sky (or any dth operator) push a new channel just like that on all user accounts? under the new trai regime? isn't it required that a customer manually adds it to their account? unless of course, user has subscribed to predefined package and they add a new channel to that package?

dextermorgan

Regulars
May 12, 2014
Hyderabad
Source

so this malware has reached tata sky as well.
i went through the channel list on my tata sky backend.
namo tv does not seem to exist.

another question worth asking here. can tata sky (or any dth operator) push a new channel just like that on all user accounts? under the new trai regime? isn't it required that a customer manually adds it to their account? unless of course, user has subscribed to predefined package and they add a new channel to that package?
republic tv also used similar tactics when it launched. it was the default channel for lot of cable operators so it had highest impressions and hence highest TRPs amongst all news channels within short time of its launch

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
that was before the new trai regulations were implemented. plus trai is also very strict now on the default channel for when stb is turned on. they basically require all operators to have a generic info channel to work as landing page.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Source

holy fucking cow. namo tv is getting government ads?

now i wonder if it is just a temporary thing. or do they plan to run it even after the elections. would it become a permanent feature on our TVs even if we do not want to subscribe to it? this is really messed up.

Reactions: dextermorgan

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
The New government would probably get it trashed. Otherwise it could become a default offering on all connections. Maybe even the landing channel on stb boot. And tons of ads from both public and private sector. 🎉 🎉 🎉 🎉 🎉