BSNL sent Lok Adalat legal notice for unpaid bill! What to do?

I didn't pay the 1 month bill an ADSL connection 3 years ago, I was basically not using it as I got tata docomo broadband and then BSNL connection was auto shutdown for non payment. Today I got a legal notice from them for an absurd rs.5248, plan was around 3000 for 8mbps 175gb. Should I do something about it or ignore it?

Gq8Ef4L.jpg

so you never applied for disconnection ? and didn't paid 1 month bill of 3k

Visit your exchange talk to account officer to remove the extra charges of 2k then pay your original bill and close your account properly. If you have to go to lok adalat complain about bsnl poor service and for removal of extra charge.

I would say OP is lucky BSNL didn't sent him bill for 3 years (3000x12x3=1,08,000+fine), if you use any postpaid service make sure to properly disconnect it so it won't come back to haunt you years later.

Tip: if you want to disconnect bsnl/mtnl, first downgrade your plan to the lowest plan available so incase something goes wrong you won't get a huge bill in lakhs and would be easy to fight.

Last edited:
So basically i got a connection for Bsnl ftth on around march of 2020. Within a month i was tired of its problems. I switched off the Internet & left it to collect dust. I called them asking for discontinuation of the service for the next 1-2 months (at least 3-4 times) I never got a decent response aside from "give us few minutes & we will contact you after getting the appropriate information & procedure"

Never got the the call back & now they have sent a legal notice from Lok Adalat relating to fees. Should i go to Lok Adalat? Or should i pay the fees & forget about the Adalat? Or visit Adalat after paying the fees? And can anyone tell me how to get rid of this ftth?

Technically then customers are also allowed to drag BSNL to court stating late reimbursement of Security Deposit after a gazillion years
I advise you to go and talk to General Manager or AGM Finance BSNL of your area and for the Adaalat thing , if you have the proper recordings and call logs of the requests you have done previously, then take the case to court .

Again with the Corona and all , I advise you settle this ASAP

First confirm that it is indeed a notice from Lok adalat only and not merely a notice from BSNL legal staff.

Even if it is a notice from the Lok adalat just relax. Lok adalat is not a normal court and operates on consent. If you do not consent to settlement of a dispute by a Lok adalat, the same cannot be foisted on you. The Lok adalat is just another body to arrive at settlement between the parties based on mutual consent of the parties. If you don’t appear before the Lok adalat and if you do not consent to the settlement terms then the Lok adalat cannot decide unless you allow it to decide the dispute for you. It does not have an adjudicatory role like the court, it cannot impose its decision on you unless both parties give consent and ask the Lok adalat to settle the dispute for them.

So in short you can appear before the Lok adalat and raise the issue of maintainability as you have not consented to the settlement of the dispute. If in spite of such objection the Lok adalat were to proceed then the award/decision will be bad in law and will be set aside by the High court.

of course the option of being intimidated by them and paying the bill in spite of not being wrong is always open to you.

I had one BSNL connection long ago. As far as I remember, I closed the account like 6–7 years ago. All of a sudden, I get a notice saying I have some pending amount that I need to pay within a certain date or else they will go for lok adalat. My question is: how genuine is that claim? If I close my account, how can there be any pending amount?

They do send out notices even years later. If you have the documents related to the old connection simply visit BSNL office and sort it out.

I also had a Wings connection. They generated the bill for one more year that I did not pay as the service was crappy, to say the least, and I wasn't using it. I thought it wouldn't matter.
Guess what? They sent a notice to my address and I had to visit their office and get the connection closed, after paying the dues.🥴🥴🥴

So, in short, I need to pay the dues. The sad thing is, I don't even have the old documents to cross-check. It looks like a new kind of scam to me. Sending old users such bills as most of them won't have any documents.

I closed the account around covid and I thought the existing advance was enough to close the account. However, the bsnl franchise extended my connection by a month. So, I had a due that was paid only last year, nearly two years later when I received a similar notice. I filled a complaint regarding the same two years ago, but no action was taken. I ended up paying the one month charge. I still keep the documents though.

Basically the closure is done even if there is a due.

The important question is: HOW Much is BSNL asking?
If the amount is less than Rs. 2000, simply pay and get a receipt.
If they are asking for a LOT more, then it could be a scam.
It is critical to visit the local BSNL Office and first confirm if BSNL has indeed sent out the Notice. This could be another scam too.