How is the FTTH line quality of my BSNL Bharat Fiber Connection?

• Thread starter Thread starter naman1208
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 27,827
ISP
BSNL
So i have recently got bsnl ftth service and its been good, lot better then traditional adsl2 system, So speed is great too but i want someone to look at these parameters of fibre cable and please help me to find out about the quality of fibre cable, So here are these parameters ......and i am unable to understand them.

EPON StateRegistered and certified
OAM_LinkEstablished

Optical Module Input Power(dBm)-17.4
Optical Module Output Power(dBm)2.0
Optical Module Supply Voltage(uV)3330000
Optical Transmitter Bias Current(uA)11582
Operating Temperature of the Optical Module(°C)61

The "optical module input power" seems good. Operating temperature seems a little high, are you in a hot climate area?

Upvote 0
I am worried about the same thing......temperature is 61c how this is possible temperature in my city "DEWAS" is 25c as of now......i think reading on the modem is not correct.
btw.....what is the recommended value of "Optical Module Input Power(dBm)" should be?

Upvote 0
Input power level looks great. The ONTs usually work till -27/-28 dBm (its called its receive sensitivity). My values as of now are

Tx Power 2.522953 dBm
Rx Power -24.685211 dBm
Temperature 44.937500 C
Voltage 3.347200 V
Bias Current 17.250000 mA

Yeah, your temperature looks a bit on the higher side, I wonder if it's because of the higher input power level? Also which area's temperature is it, perhaps the optical unit?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I wanted to know how good are these stats for my new FTTH connection from LCO of BSNL -
Optical Module Input Power(dBm)-32.2
Optical Module Output Power(dBm)1.4

Upvote 0
Ya.. its working.. and LCO guy said that it works till -36 lol
Also, he said that since I took connection from him.. I have to pay bills via him.. I.e. send money to him and he will pay it somehow.. I argued and he said he gets commission every-time he makes payment. 🙄

Upvote 0
Which ONT is this? @Shivam15

If they collect payment, it also gets adjusted with his operating share, so he wouldn't need to wait for a settlement from BSNL. However I doubt there is any such restriction, if you make the payment online it would still get credited to your account.

Upvote 0
I have a ONT of some company named UNIVISION..

Fiber was cut recently and he took 4 days to repair it.. so slow they are.

And.. is Jio Fiber better than BSNL? in matter of speed and ping and most importantly service?

Upvote 0
@Shivam15 both of them have their own issues jio fiber is way expensive as.compared to bsnl with little fup. Also they throttles upload speeds by 10 percent of.downloads. With bsnl if the connection parameters are fine then u will get speeds more than u pay for. If u dont have any issues with ur bsnl connection now, then it will be more less same with jiofiber u will not feel any advantage with it.pings are almost similar with both of them sometimes u may have bad pings with bsnl but its ip based which rectified if u reboot ur router Service is the only place where jio fairs than bsnl altough bsnl guys will respond faster if u contact them through Twitter.

Upvote 0
Which ONT is this? @Shivam15

If they collect payment, it also gets adjusted with his operating share, so he wouldn't need to wait for a settlement from BSNL. However I doubt there is any such restriction, if you make the payment online it would still get credited to your account.

My input power hovers in the range of 26-30dBM. Bsnl guys who came to install said ideal power should be less than 30. I get full 50mbps on my connection. Should I ask them to rectify and improve?
Screenshot_2020-05-08-20-08-23-497_com.android.chrome.webp

PiNG is around 9-11 on ookla.

Temps are now 29C even with fan mod. It's extremely hot here!

Upvote 0
My Netlink HG323RGW onu shows these values... But I have Netlink's older type ONU. That shows Optical power input -15dBM. Why that new one losses -2dBm? Also the older one connection status shows 'Registered and Certified', but the new one shows 'Registered, not authenticated'
Tx Power2.351759 dBm
Rx Power-17.235378 dBm
Temperature32.003906 C
Voltage3.355000 V
Bias Current14.500000 mA

Upvote 0
@thenextstar If you go over the specifications of the device, most ONTs have a receive sensitivity of around -27 to -28 dBm (a class C+ device might support a lower input level), which is the lowest input power level that it would detect (ie as per manufacturer specifications). However, devices often do perform outside the given specifications, but it is certainly not guaranteed. I would aim for the input power level to be less than -27 dBm to compensate for any temporary variations.

I don't think this affects the max throughput though, I mean any value within the supported range should give the same performance (unlike the levels on copper)

Upvote 0
@arunkadambanattu By older type ONU, which model do you mean? Each device can have different optical components so some variation is expected, especially with these cheap Chinese devices.

Registered and Certified would mean that the ONU was able to authenticate with the OLT based on the auth parameters. In the second case, it was not able to authenticate successfully. However, since the OLT doesn't seem to enforce authentication it just works. But in case the OLT enforces authentication, your second device would fail to register.

Upvote 0
My Netlink HG323RGW onu shows these values... But I have Netlink's older type ONU. That shows Optical power input -15dBM. Why that new one losses -2dBm? Also the older one connection status shows 'Registered and Certified', but the new one shows 'Registered, not authenticated'
Tx Power2.351759 dBm
Rx Power-17.235378 dBm
Temperature32.003906 C
Voltage3.355000 V
Bias Current14.500000 mA

Temperature - Is that of the whole ONU or optical unit ?

Upvote 0