The Offtopic Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter vikikivi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12,184
  • Views Views 1,299,385
I've been on Airtel's ill-fated vdsl installation for as long as I can remember, and my local engineer has no good news for FTTH even though Jio already started their implementation with overhead cables.

I sure hope Airtel does something.

Airtel should target Tier 2 cities rather than metros. There are already many local players/big players in cities like Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai etc. There are more chances for Airtel to snap up customers in these cities as compared to metros.

Having said that I think JIO will beat Airtel to it, by quite a margin.

My area has Jio FTTH, Hathway,Excitel and also MTNL FTTH in certain apartments complexes, still don't see any urgency from Airtel to switch to FTTH

Today at 10:47 AM
My area has Jio FTTH, Hathway,Excitel and also MTNL FTTH in certain apartments complexes, still don't see any urgency from Airtel to switch to FTTH

same here, we have 3 isps with fibre but airtel is still copper

Airtel broadband doesn't even have decent coverage, it's too much to expect from them giving fiber connections.

@Shubham Well actually they are the second biggest ISP on customer base alone. These class A ISPs like BSNL/Airtel might have shitty internet with copper lines but they certainly do have better coverage esp in tier 2 cities, towns and rural areas.

@netseeker Only BSNL has decent coverage. BSNL is the most prominent. Airtel on the other hand, given the size of the company and the opportunities they had in the past to expand their wired broadband network. They are nothing but a failure in the wired broadband segment.

India had 18 million wired broadband subscribers until November 2018. Current statistics affirm that BSNL boasts the highest number of subscribers at 9.17 million users, Airtel at 2.26 million subscribers while ACT has 1.38 million users. BSNL has half the market share of wired broadband.

I can only say it depends upon who is your area MLA and all that shit. Because Airtel wants to install the Fiber in whole Delhi but they are not able to get permission.

They want to install underground unlike Jio's over the head.
Sources? If it's true that would be highly appreciated, but I hope you are not mistaking major roll out fiber installations (which are pretty much always underground, those thick orange cables) for residential fiber installations. Jio has underground installations too.

But that said, airtel does do a better cable installation work from my first hand experience. The cat 5 ethernet cables on our apartment terrace is all over the place from 2 lcos where as the airtel technicians neatly routed the cables around the building exterior.

@netseeker Only BSNL has decent coverage. BSNL is the most prominent. Airtel on the other hand, given the size of the company and the opportunities they had in the past to expand their wired broadband network. They are nothing but a failure in the wired broadband segment.

India had 18 million wired broadband subscribers until November 2018. Current statistics affirm that BSNL boasts the highest number of subscribers at 9.17 million users, Airtel at 2.26 million subscribers while ACT has 1.38 million users. BSNL has half the market share of wired broadband.
Oops my bad, you are right😳. I straight away pulled the statistic for all of Airtel's customers I guess. When it comes to wired broadband Airtel does lag far behind BSNL. This is mainly due to Airtel's greedy rush into Africa trying to copy developed countries.

Source: The damn ceo of airtel, sunil mittal.

Whilst it is admirable that they insist on the underground deployment, getting any Municipality to sign off for any type of underground work is a hard job in itself. Not to mention the fact that underground deployment is time-consuming and expensive.

Airtel has neither time nor capital. Airtel has to take steps quickly rather than dilly-dallying.

Last edited: