Good News: Airtel FTTH Availability

ajgamer

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
Hello! I had a talk with the Airtel's Senior Technical Official (Ground Team) 2-3 days back.

They have confirmed me that Airtel is installing the Fiber lines wherever they don't have the Copper Wires already. So, Airtel will make the availability of FTTH in the areas which are untouched by them (by default).

Secondly, they are aiming to provide FTTH in the areas where they have copper wires too. So it might take 1-2 years of time. But they are aiming of phasing out copper wires and move to FTTH specially in the cities like Delhi.

P.S.: They know the risk involved with the Jio's entrance and the issues people are facing with VDSL.

With the ISP's like Hathway and LCO's. They know people want minimum 50Mbps now for the same or cheaper pricing.

^ This is what he told me as a reason.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: pothi

ajgamer

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
Of course, It's a good news for me. If anyone believes Airtel provides better services (At-least resolution) would be happy to know that too.

Reactions: Lobogris

pothi

Regulars
Aug 5, 2008
Srivilliputhur / Madurai (TN)
good news? for whom? you?
Good news for anyone who knows about Airtel FTTH. Better customer care. Better routing. Better ping times to international gateways. Almost zero issues after the initial setup. No double NAT. Less snooping. Less banned sites. Less downtime.

100mbps is a sweat-spot for most businesses and ISPs, due to the hardware limitations. Even a hardware that is 10 years old can support 100mbps. To go beyond 100mbps, one must need latest hardware that can support higher speeds. This can increase the cost on businesses (and home users). When a business or a home user doesn't get more 100mbps on a connection that offers more than 100mbps, it can create conflicts of interests, especially when the user / business doesn't understand what it requires to get the full speed.

That's why Jio advertises only 100mbps for now, even though it can offer higher speeds. It'd offer more than 100mbps only after a couple of years of stabilizing the launch phase.

Reactions: Ameen and ajgamer

ajgamer

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
True, Airtel has the best routing in India. They have the strict customer support. I still remember that, once my issue wasn't solved by the local team.

I called the Nodal Officer. And, Nodal Officer himself personally called the local team, instructed them on the call, took the regular updates from me and the team until the issue was resolved.

As soon as the call came from the nodal team, whole local team was at disposal to solve it asap.

Anyways, 99% of the issues of Airtel gets solved without the intervention of Nodal Support.

Good Thing is that, I'm ready to pay the double the amount of any other ISP to the Airtel since they have better services overall.

Airtel only fucked up with the VDSL Launch and that too because when they were working on VDSL, it wasn't known that JioFiber would come. There was hardly any news about the Jio4G at that time.

Now that, JioFiber launch is nearing (by the end of this year), Airtel FTTH is the only way Airtel can fight the Jio.

There will be only 4 competitor at the end: Airtel vs. Jio (Hathway Included since it's major stake holder is Jio now) vs. Tata Sky vs. ACT.

P.S.: I'm sure Airtel would bring 1Gbps. Not to mention that Hathway and Excitel buys the bandwidth from others. So it's no issue for Airtel to provide 1Gbps themselves as it's in-house for them. Airtel's back-end is super strong, it's just the front-end (cable and the area equipment) are the cause of obsolete plans (speed).

Last edited:
Reactions: pothi

Shubham

Regulars
Jun 17, 2018
Is there any way to know if they will be expanding to new cities? I have asked them on twitter but i get the usual generic reply.

ajgamer

[OP]
Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
@Shankz Actually, Airtel is using them since they aim for the major role-outs.

TataSkyBB is still not doing that kind of launch. It's sounds a lot like soft-launch just like ACT has.

Airtel is the leader in Broadband Sector (with having Telephonic Users).