Important Indian government to launch their own DNS Server

dextermorgan

Regulars
May 12, 2014
Hyderabad
We are not surveillance state but we are putting all the mechanisms in place for doing so. We would like to keep a log of sites you visit, prevent you from accessing the websites that we find objectionable for whatever reasons, and all this while protecting you from malicious sites and yourself.
If malware is the real reason then they should provide free anti-malware, anti-virus, etc.
Telanagana is already looking like a brother to USA in facial surveillance

The database, known as the ‘Integrated People Information Hub’ (IPIH) offers a “360-degree view” of citizens, according to police commissioner M. Mahender Reddy as reported in Telangana Today.

The IPIH is being promoted primarily as a smart policing mechanism in order to attract foreign direct investment (FDI), according to the tender. The technical architecture talks about the linking of CCTV footage, fingerprints data, call data records (CDR) using entity matching and other data mining algorithms. Other variables for the system include a citizen’s name, father’s name, mother’s name, spouse’s name, address, date of birth, mobile number, contact number, driving license, voter ID, Aadhaar number and a crime number.

These separate data points help identity and group the records of a citizen or crime history of a citizen as well as identifying the relationships the person shares with others. All of this data has already been collected by the state government right after formation of Telangana through a large scale survey called ‘Samagra Kutumba Survey’ – a mini-Census if you will.

Designed to be used by every department in the state, IPIH defies the logic of the ‘Principle of Least Privilege’. A popular credo in the field of information and cybersecurity, this informal rule quite simply states that any software, program or user should be able to access only the information and resources that are necessary for a particular and legitimate purpose.
you know this gif of chinese surveillance. Its already happening in telanagana

Source

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
I just wanted to ask except for testing, what would be the cause of people using this DNS?

unAadhaarit

Regulars
Feb 23, 2018
Depends on what you are testing.
But in general, DNS encryption is for enhancing your web security.
How to Boost Your Internet Security with DNSCrypt
When you use HTTPS or SSL, your web browsing traffic is encrypted. When you use a VPN, all of your traffic is encrypted (usually). Sometimes even with HTTPS and VPNs in play, DNS requests—or the way your computer translates "lifehacker.com" into numbers that your computer understands, like "199.27.72.192," are completely unencrypted, leaving you open to spoofing and man-in-the-middle attacks. DNSCrypt can lock that down.
"DNS Leaking" happens when your system, even after you've connected to a a VPN or anonymity network like Tor, continues to query your ISP's DNS servers every time you visit a new website, connect to a new server, or fire up a new internet-connected application. Ultimately, it means that even though your traffic is encrypted, your ISP—or worse, anyone snooping on the "last mile" of your internet connection (aka, the network between your computer and your ISP)—can clearly see everything you connect to you're going on the internet and every site you visit on the web.
To be fair, encrypting your DNS is a level of security that many people may not need to aspire to. However, if you do regularly work with sensitive material, work remotely and need to make sure all of your traffic is secure, or travel to places where you may be snooped on, encrypting your DNS is a good idea. If you need true anonymity or privacy, even from your ISP, you may want to consider it. If you're just surfing the web from the comfort of your home, it may not be an issue for you.

Last edited:

unAadhaarit

Regulars
Feb 23, 2018
Normally users don't set the DNS or any other settings. They just use the default settings provided y the ISP. But the Govt can mandate that the ISPs use govt DNS and then people would use it, without even being aware of it.

Reactions: pothi

rajujayaraman

Regulars
Mar 6, 2012
Hi, admin, the tolls in the section is not at all effective . consider quick heal. It does not catch. Probably, for other sake this tool is given free for users.
If all the browsings could be routed through one particular server, would not the server traffic becomes congestsed.
I think solution lies in other areas.
i have seen all the things and has also posted the bsnl injection , to which they advised me to contact my service provider for that purpose. Not effective at all.
It is your antivirus, router settings, router firmware updates that will give solution to all the problems.
Mostly no vendor gives updates for the older routers like dlink. they have not updated firmware for the past 4years. By that time, there might have been compromises with virus router and rootkit attacks. From the daily alert i receive in from google on router security alerts, almost i have alerts on 4 to 5 vulnerabilities .
Recently the dnsl server of bsnl went some change. The usual dns server was changed.
It is the service provider effectiveness in developing and monitoring the servers.