Unauthorized use of data from Airtel vfiber broadband

Sudhir1948

[OP]
Feb 21, 2019
I have a 40 mbps fiber dsl broadband 200 GB per month. My typical data load is less than 1 GB per day. But within few days of billing cycle I get e mail from airtel that I have used 50% of available data and within 15 days all gets used up. On airtel app I noticed that on some days there is severe upload data usage. I changed my Wi-Fi password twice. Also I changed my Router password twice but the misuse continues.

I am concerned about the security of my net data if someone has access to my account.

When I called Airtel they offered ad-hoc 500 GB but even that has been used up by somebody.

Wondering what to do?

Ameen

Regulars
Dec 11, 2018
@Sudhir1948 have you checked your wps?
You can check for actively connected devices and if you are still not able to find anybody using it.. Check with airtel customer care service

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
Hi.

You have to check your usage on your end first. It might be possible that someone at your home is using:

Instagram for 5 hours (causing more than 2-5 gb of usage).
WhatsApp Images / Video Sharing (causing 1-3 gb usage).
Facebook (causing 1-3 gb usage)
YouTube (easily 5-10 gb)
You have to keep a track of your usage and let us know.

P.S.: Be worry free from Airtel's side. They never cheat of fake data utilization.

Reactions: Ameen

cyberwiz

Regulars
Mar 11, 2005
Delhi
Change your Airtel broadband account password by logging into Airtel's website. Then update the same password in the router.

Reactions: alphago

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
That's the basic, never use WPS.

This is as important as you install Google Chrome as soon as Windows is installed.

• LOL
Reactions: Ameen

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
but yeah. check if your router has a bandwidth monitor. check bandwidth consumption on individual devices for a few days to see what exactly is happening. and of course, keep an eye on connected devices to see if an unknown user is not using your internet.

Sudhir1948

[OP]
Feb 21, 2019
Hi.

You have to check your usage on your end first. It might be possible that someone at your home is using:

You have to keep a track of your usage and let us know.

P.S.: Be worry free from Airtel's side. They never cheat of fake data utilization.
I have done that and we have no such usage pattern. We do not use instagram and whatsapp is mainly text usage.