Tata Sky DTH User Experience

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 9,044
ok. a simple google search tells me that i can do DROP channelnumber. I guess I would test it out and confirm.

so was informed that i can actually watch the subscribed channel on the mobile app and on a computer. this is pretty cool stuff.
i can create bookmarks on dad's computer for individual channels so he can watch news even when he is not in his room. very nice.

two more observations. since i am mostly dealing with news channels on dad's Tata Sky box...
tata sky has inserted their own shit in the range where most/all news channels exist. i have no idea why they would even do that.
and favorites sorting is kind of confusing. i am not sure what decides the order from 900. selection perhaps. because now that i have changed around channels in favorites... they appear in pretty random order. i would try to configure them from scratch tomorrow in order of preference to see if that makes it linear.

Tata Sky seems to have dropped price further, now it's available from Snapdeal for Rs 1349 including one month Hindi Basic pack which comes to around Rs 334 per month.

Ordering experience has been great so far, placed the order on Snapdeal at 1:15 PM today, and by 1:20 PM it was marked as shipped.

At 3:50 PM got an SMS from Tata Sky with a work order number, shortly after got a verification call, the lady asked for the location, from where I placed the order etc. At 4:05 PM got another SMS saying my Tata Sky subscriber ID has been topped up for Rs 1268.

And around 6 PM, the local installation office guy called and said apologetically that installation would be done only by tomorrow as the technician is already working on two other installations today. I said no worries, tomorrow is fine.

I bought the Hindi Lite pack with a monthly rate of Rs 295 cause initially it showed up for Rs 1299 but while I was ordering the price had been increased and I didn't realise. At Rs 1349, I should have got the Hindi Basic pack which has a monthly rate of Rs 334. I am going to change the pack on day 1 itself anyway, so I am just looking for the maximum account balance.

1. I got an SMS saying my account was topped up for Rs 1268, so how much would be deducted for the STB/installation now? As per the pack I had chosen, I should have Rs 295 balance after all deductions. Hope there are no confusions.

at this point of time... makes no sense but to switch to Tata Sky. d2h is fucked. zee was never a good option. airtel dth is an option but why go for it when tata sky no longer is the costliest option around.

Yeah, I am currently on Airtel DTH and with the new pricing, I guess it makes sense to switch to Tata Sky. In addition to the reasons @Sushubh mentioned, Tata Sky has two extra Malayalam HD channels which Airtel DTH doesn't have. Zee Keralam HD and Surya TV HD.

Plus Tata Sky seem better with adhoc addition and removal of channels and you can watch the channels online as well, so I guess its a win-win now that Tata Sky pricing isn't so high.

Last edited:
1. I got an SMS saying my account was topped up for Rs 1268, so how much would be deducted for the STB/installation now? As per the pack I had chosen, I should have Rs 295 balance after all deductions. Hope there are no confusions.

@Sushubh Since you had taken a connection recently, any idea on how this would work out?

no clue really. i paid close to 1900 for the hd box with base hindi plan. around 380 was added to my account. i used the website to create my custom plan and did not think much about it. the only annoying thing was that the price was told by the website and their customer care did not include 4% GST so it got a bit confusing at the time of payment. used a calculator to check if the installation guy was not overcharging me.

ok. just checked. they did add Rs. 1970 to my account. i do not see any message of how much was deducted for the STB after installation was verified.