• Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 9,033

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
applied for connection with Tata Sky last night using cod option. got a call in the morning. should finally get the connection later today. good time to apply as they have reduced the price (similar to what is available on Amazon). 1894 something for the basic hindi package with hd set top box.

Congrats!😀
applied for connection with Tata Sky last night using cod option. got a call in the morning. should finally get the connection later today. good time to apply as they have reduced the price (similar to what is available on Amazon). 1894 something for the basic hindi package with hd set top box.

lage to sahi. plus it's not like Tata Sky is perfect lol. the case is still going on involving trai and tata sky. not even sure what they are demanding in the first place.

The matter for Tata Sky is that they have done deals with many broadcasters for 2-3 years under their own conditions. Now after trai those deals are not valid and hence the money obtained and terms of those deals are at stake.

right. i was wondering if they would be able to find a legal loophole to bring back hd access fee type thing in coming months lol.

These companies come up with shitty policies all the time, which makes the customer frustrated and then Jio simply gobbles them up. It happened in the telecom sector, the same is going to happen in DTH arena too.

So far so good. Got the connection. Plan is activated. Website does not accept login yet but the mobile app enabled me to select ala carte channels.

Few observations…
  • They have a system to activate individual channels by sending a SMS from registered mobile number. Have not used this feature but seems useful.
  • I have not been able to access My Tata Sky backend so not sure if the backend allows me to remove individual channels. As of now, it seems like I would have to select all channels again to get rid of some of the channels. Remains to be seen. If anyone has any clue on this, do tell!
  • I am not a fan of how Tata Sky handle favorites. But it is pretty different compared to how D2H does it. Would have to get dad used to using 900-950 series to access the channels he watches.
  • Not really a fan of the remote that came with HD STB. I mean the remote is pretty compact and handy. But the circular button layout is a mess. There are two levels of buttons and you navigate with inner buttons. Without looking at the remote, I ended up clicking the outside buttons completely messing up what I was trying to do.
  • Tata Sky guy said that the remote would not connect with dad’s Vu TV so he would be forced to continue using two remotes… One for TV and one for Tata Sky.
  • Mobile app is of course much better than the shit D2H has in the name of mobile app. Though already got one useless notification with sound from the app on the phone. Disable sound already so that should not be a bother again. I wonder if I can disable notifications completely considering I really have no use of the app features like recording?

the guy said that remote has issues connecting with Vu and Mi TVs. other TVs connect file lol. would post image in a while.

so Tata Sky connected. how long before i can login to the site and change my plan lol.
it will take i guess 2-3 days. But you can visit tatasky.com and then go to the banner to select your package. I don't know exactly but you won't be able to change your base pack as of now as you have already paid for it. But give that link a try if you want.

would try that once i get the channels properly. since i am using alacarte, i am trying to prefer HD over SD for the channels dad watches. only a few news channels have HD version. one thing that was confusing was... cnbc tv18 is 4.72 while cnbc tv18 prime hd is 1.18. have to check if they have the same content or different... would need to sit with dad and re-do the whole channel selection assuming Tata Sky would let me remove individual channels from the backend.

So turns out CNBC-TV18 Prime HD is very different from CNBC-TV18. Now wondering how/if I can remove it without creating my custom plan from scratch lol.

BTW. Adding a new channel on Tata Sky is pretty simple. You just need to send an SMS. I added a channel through that route and it basically got activated within 10 seconds. Very nice.

Format is add channelnumber. Send the SMS to 56633. I wonder if I can remove channel using this route as well. Tempted to try sending remove channelnumber lol.