tp-link Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed on 1277 BSNL FTTH Plan

• Thread starter Thread starter Enix
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 8,149
ISP
BSNL
Hello,

I purchased a TP-Link Archer C50 2 days ago, and am noticing some really strange things. (I am on 100 Mbps/1277 plan)

1> The download speed reflected by Ookla is less than 50 % (around 25 to 35, max 40 Mbps) of what is offered by wired connection to router.

2> The upload speed reflected by Ookla is very high (around 90 to 95 Mbps).

3> If the phone is under the blanket, the signal strength is dropped by 1 bar even if the router is very close. (tested on 5Ghz only). I do have another wifi router in same room operating on 2.4 Ghz band.

On LAN connection :-

D/L Speed (Ookla) :- Around 60 to 70, max 80 Mbps
U/L Speed (Ookla) :- 80 to 90 Mbps (Always higher than U/L Speed)

On Wi-Fi using Archer C50 :-

D/L Speed (Ookla) :- Around 25 to 35 Mbps
U/L Speed (Ookla) :- Around 90 Mbps

The download speed is much lower than the d/l speed using wired connection, and always the upload speed is very high.

I wanted to know :-

1> How do I increase the download speed via wireless to its maximum capacity ?

2> How can I increase the download speed and the signal strength ?

3> Why is the U/L speed always higher than the D/L speed from my ISP ?

SpeedTest Results Using Wi-Fi :-

JjIkNm6.jpg

Results of SpeedTest (via Ethernet) :-

NpwaEVt.png

IzZzskY.png

Try the 5Ghz band if you are on 2.4/ disable wmm (qos)/ reset router.

I am already on 5 GHz band. Below I have attached the settings page of 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz

o6soYwP.png

hT4jWTJ.png

juXH04I.png

0CgxFs4.png

QLQeUyb.png

On most routers, QoS helps to limit the bandwidth. In Archer C50, since bandwidth control has its own setting and QoS is actually used for protection against DOS attacks, it is safe to enable it on this particular router.

Btw, no idea on why speeds are unnatural, though. You may get a router from a friend or neighbour for a hour or so to see if the current router is at fault.

Even if I am plugging my ethernet cable directly into the bsnl ont, the upload speed is always higher than the download speed (D/L Speed around 75 and U/L speed 80 or 90) but the difference between U/L Speed and D/L Speed is not huge like that of wifi as I am facing.

Got your point. In that case, I'd make a visit to the local exchange and see if JTO is of any help.

I had called up the person who had setup the connection at my home and he said that the download speed and upload speeds are always asynchronous and they cannot do anything about it... about the low download speed via wifi they said that its normal and also the ping of 60 to 75 ms is normal according to them on a fibre connection.. they said that the ping is dependent on cpu.. I was like does he even know WTH is he speaking.. and finally he said that if I want a fixed ul and dl speed I have to hire a leased line from them

Sorry to know that. Try contacting the exchange staff during weekdays. Some JTOs help. Some others don't.

Just found that I am not alone with ping and asynchronized upload/download speed :-

Y5BnwBI.jpg

1Di2SM9.jpg

Usually the slow wifi speeds is due to the your wifi router and not the BSNL connection. Cheap AC routers does not perform well.
Regd slow speed on you LAN, did you use cat5e/cat6e LAN cable to test?
I have 75 MBPS connection and I usually get ~75 Down/~80 Up. If you are getting promised speeds don't worry about the difference in up/down

the slight difference in download and upload via ethernet test could be result of QOS by bsnl and for wifi it should be your router which is not working properly, perform speedtest during non-peak hours like early morning. Trying enabling QOS in your router, (set max speed more than your actual internet speed.)

==========

@Sushubh images in post(#1, #3) are not clickable I have to right click and open in new tab to view them properly.

I decided to test my internet speed manually.. Just started some downloads of games via playstore.

Doing the sum.. it always took me around 8 (= 64 Mbps) to 9.5 MBps ( = 76 Mbps) even if the ookla speedtest never reached those speeds via wifi. But yes, those speeds are similar to that via ethernet.. so it can be possible that speedtest is showing false results ? I tried other speedtests too and there were much variances though none of them crossed the dl speed of 45

images in post(#1, #3) are not clickable I have to right click and open in new tab to view them properly.
looks like the lazy load addon was the reason. should be fixed now. i was wondering what it was going to break.

Reactions: Smh