New Airtel Xstream Fibre Broadband Connection Queries

• Thread starter Thread starter coolnikk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 58
  • Views Views 18,965
ISP
bsnl ftth
Hi guys,

So after banging my head with the bsnl ftth people and not getting any satisfactory resolution for the same (daily data cap on ftth), i have decided to go for airtel ftth.

My society provides 3 ftth connections Bsnl , act and airtel (jio coming soon hopefully).After posting on bsnl forums, i was advised that airtel is the lesser evil and much better than act.
Now im already using my own router R7800 with custom vox firmware and other stuff, so question is does airtel provide a separate ip or they do the same bullshit like act (double nat, one ip among several users).

1.) I hear they are giving custom Huawei 8145v ONT+ wifi router with 100mbps plans.So, if anyone has used this router, how easy is it to set bridge mode on this modem as i would prefer my router to handle everything.

2.) How is the after sales support ?

3.) Quality of connection ?

4.) i will be going for minimum 800Gb plans so its either 100 or 300 mbps plan IDK.However what speeds are 300 mbps users getting ?

My flat does have a white box which has the OLT wire drawn (previous tenants were using airtel).So pretty much instantaneous installation.

Airtel provides public IP. No double NAT. ACT provides public IP too, but with extra payment.

Best after sales service among the private ISPs.

I am not qualified to answer other questions for obvious reasons. 😊😊😊

Best after sales service airtel or act ?
Well if you say act (presumably) then are so many people bashing act on the forum ?

1. Airtel doesn't have Double NAT on any of their Internet Services. They have the maximum IP Ranges in India and they give public IP only.

2. You can use any of your router as the Access Point to handle the DHCP but doing the authentication of the connection? I'm not sure. I would rather let the official modem to do the authentication for the easy troubleshooting and less of customer side issue pointing.

Airtel would point your router for all the issues. So keep that in mind if you do bridge. AP > Bridge.

3. Airtel is the best FTTH this country has seen so far. Jio FTTH is a joke. If FTTH is concerned, there is nothing better than Airtel.

4. You should get the speed 300/8=37 Mb/s if you are on ethernet (Cat 5e or Cat 6). You won't get that same speed on WiFi even if you use Google Fiber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best after sales service airtel or act ?
Well if you say act (presumably) then are so many people bashing act on the forum ?

Airtel. I use their VDSL plan. So, I can speak for them.

Ayee im getting the Nokia router, as they have stopped providing the alcatel one completely.Can any kind soul pls post the image of the Huawei 8451 router provided by airtel so i can show the same to them and hopefully get the same.

It was posted in some thread but now i just cant seem to find the same.

Also my router does outright support ap/ bridge / full routing at the click of button.But i would prefer to run everything directly through my router in bridge mode.So is the same possible with the nokia router ?

Search youtube for "airtel ftth" and the first couple of videos show demo of the Huawei router/modem.

i dont know about those devices, sorry, but i guess the Huawei is newer device they are giving out, Nokia used to be there a little while back.

well finally 300mbps is on.Nokia router is actually good compared to bsnl crap, but still bridging is not working.If anyone can help the fine otherwise my R7800 is on ap mode and im getting the full 300mbps and more on my wifi consistently.

P.S this router just keeps on giving and giving (r7800).Yes it costs 15k but its worth every penny and it just pays for itself.In my experience all those cheap ass routers were nothing but pita.This is the first one that hasn't given me any labor pains.
Yes do stay away from Asus routers they cost more and are just crap (in my experience).

I'm not sure how seriously you've taken my previous post. But doing the bridge mode will cause more problem.

Airtel's backend is Huawie which acts randomly sometimes. When you'll make call to the customer care and the visit by the technician. They will point the problem's reason to your own router.

Let the authentication happen on their ONT/Modem.

The Best Setup is always Modem/Router from ISP and then your own Router for AP and DHCP. (Connect both of them using CAT 6).

ya using cat 5e, dont have that sweet sweet cat6 but still it gets the job done.
Depends but the thing is im happy again, now that im free of bsnl bullshit + im consistently clocking 29-30+ mBps on dl's.

P.S Thank god i did'nt go for ACT, that would have been like out of the fire and back into the frying pan.