New airtel Ftth connection queries

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Jan 21, 2005
Pune
@coolnikk congrats on 300 mbps! i wish i could have it too :D

Can you tell me what download speed you get on this file? -> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/archive/master.zip

Don't use a download manager which makes multiple connections, just download single connection via the browser itself and let me know?

pothi

Regulars
Aug 5, 2008
Srivilliputhur / Madurai (TN)
I'm not sure how seriously you've taken my previous post. But doing the bridge mode will cause more problem.

Airtel's backend is Huawie which acts randomly sometimes. When you'll make call to the customer care and the visit by the technician. They will point the problem's reason to your own router.

Let the authentication happen on their ONT/Modem.

The Best Setup is always Modem/Router from ISP and then your own Router for AP and DHCP. (Connect both of them using CAT 6).
Never had issue by setting the modem-router in bridge mode (in Airtel VDSL and in BSNL ADSL). It can be setup for any ISP as long as the modem-router supports bridge-mode. Some low-end routers (such as Netgear N1500) do not support bridge mode. I am glad to help anyone remotely to set it up.

My main reason to go for bridge mode is to run a VPN server in the router. With VPN, having modem-router act as modem-router would work too. But, we have to deal with (double) NAT that complicates things when running a VPN. Most modem-routers that I've seen can only forward ports to only one destination behind it. So, we can connect to only one device (ie., the router) via VPN when using modem-router as modem-router. With modem-router acts only as modem in bridge mode, we can connect to all the devices (the router as well as the devices behind the router). This can help in connecting two or more office networks (spread across multiple cities / countries) via VPN with always-on connectivity, irrespective of the (public) IP changes in any of the network/s.

Basically, there is nothing wrong in using modem-router in bridge mode.

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
I never said there is anything wrong with the bridge mode. But I don't like wasting my time with the ISP when they route the problem's cause to your router to make things easy for them.

I hope I'm able to make myself clear.

pothi

Regulars
Aug 5, 2008
Srivilliputhur / Madurai (TN)
I completely understood what you meant in the original post.

Whenever a technician visits, I usually have the modem-router reset to the default config or let the technician reset it to reproduce the anomaly or bug. Happened once with a Huawei router. Technician switched to 777vr1 router. Since then, no more issues.

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
I tell you something from my experience. The more complex you show them, the more they point at you.

Reason: All these technician are not even technician. Airtel's technician are rather cmd/speedtest/google kind of only. They don't understand a lot of stuff related to internet.

That's why, Always show them the setup they have done. This makes easier for them to understand and do the resolution.

P.S.: Technician of Airtel a lot depends upon the area too.

Example: If you live in the Friends Colony/Defense Colony, the technician there will be the most experienced and educated.